Speeding up the electrodeposition of copper

• Thread starter Silence
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Copper
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of forming a trumpet receiver and bell out of pure copper using electrodeposition. The method involves using a mandrel made of a material with a lower reduction potential than copper's and calculating the required amount of electricity using Faraday's law of electrolysis. The minimum voltage for electrolysis is also mentioned, along with the upper limit that can produce smut on the surface of the cathode. The question of finding the maximum voltage without producing smut is raised, along with the relationship between acid pH and the dissolution of metal. The conversation also touches on the idea of using nitric acid, but it is suggested to use sulfuric acid and to look for existing copper electroplating recipes rather than trying to
Silence
Hi all,

I'd eventually like to form a trumpet receiver and bell out of pure copper, and the standard method to do that, from what I know, is electrodeposition. This is done using a mandrel made of iron or something else with a lower reduction potential than copper's. I've calculated (initially ad-hoc, and just now using Faraday's law of electrolysis) that it would take 383 amp-hours per pound of copper, and the bell will likely be around a pound in weight, so this could take a good number of days.

I haven't done any advanced electrochemistry yet so I only now discovered how Faraday's law can be used. I rearranged it (see the attached png) and used Faraday's constant [url=http://www48.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Faraday%27s+constant+in+amp-hours+per+mole[/URL] instead.

The minimum voltage for electrolysis is the potential difference between the reduction potentials of the plating material (in this case, +0.34 volts) and the mandrel (for iron, −0.041 volts). More significantly, there's also a vague upper limit – when the electricity plates copper on the cathode faster than the acid dissolves it from the anode, the following happens, somehow producing smut on the surface of the cathode:
[b]2e⁻ + 2H₂O → H₂ + 2OH⁻[/b] (E° is −0.83 volts)

The question is, how do I find the maximum voltage that I can pump through, without producing smut? This depends on the concentration of aqueous copper, which I don't know how to change.

Why doesn't more voltage speed up oxidation in addition to speeding up reduction? Does current aid oxidation at all, or is acidity the only factor in dissolving the copper? If that's the case, what's the relationship between the acid's pH/pKₐ and the dissolution of the metal? All the electrolysis examples on the net are lab demos for kids, so they use vinegar, which has a relatively tame pH of 2.4. I'd rather use diluted nitric acid in order to increase the molarity of Cu²⁺ and hence the maximum rate of electrolysis.

Thanks in advance for any help with this. I'm a little stumped. :)

[b]Edit:[/b] Looks like copper reacts with some of the nitrate in nitric acid, and this is a redox reaction in itself – no reduction potential. Maybe that's why current is irrelevant in oxidizing the copper. It also means I would need a substantial supply of nitric acid.

Attachments

• faraday.png
    faraday.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 483
Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I won't be approaching your question from a chemistry point of view. I'm only a lowly (electrical) engineer, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I believe that electrodeposition is how you form INGOTS of very pure metals, not finished (or near finished products). These are then melted down and rolled / cast / forged into various sheets, pipe, bar stock, etc. that you can buy from a (specialty) metal wholesaler.

From that point of view, you'd be better off buying the appropriate bar stock and machining (using a lathe, mill, CNC machine, etc.) your pieces out of it (and buying copper pipe and bending it into the desired shapes). Our science is not yet at the point where we can locally control electrodeposition to the point that you can mix some copper solution in a tank, program a few button, and come back a few days later with a fully functional copper instrument. Selective laser sintering might come close, but I think you'd still need to machine it down to smooth it out. Also, it's really, really expensive (the machines, or even time on the machines):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_laser_sintering

Lastly, I'm curious: why copper? I think it'd be more easily tarnished, and much easier to ding / scratch / dent than brass.

1. Around 383 amp-hours assuming 100% efficiency, in practice longer.

2. Maximum voltage - start with a low one, then go up till you see evolving gas.

3. Changing copper concentration - just add solid copper sulate to the solution, once it will dissolve, concentration of copper went up. However, you want copper concentration to be between some limits, electroplating bath have been experimentally fine tuned to give the best results.

4. Don't use nitric acid, I think good recipes call for sulfuric acid. And don't try to reinvent the wheel, look for ready copper electroplating recipes. No, I don't know where (other then visiting library, then google is your friend).

5. It is not acid that dissolves copper on the anode, it is the same current that deposits it on the other end.

What is electrodeposition?

Electrodeposition is a process in which a metal is deposited on a conductive surface, such as a copper electrode, through the use of an electrical current.

Why is it important to speed up the electrodeposition of copper?

Speeding up the electrodeposition of copper can increase productivity and efficiency in various industries that use copper, such as electronics and plumbing. It can also reduce production costs and improve the quality of the deposited copper.

What factors affect the speed of electrodeposition?

The speed of electrodeposition can be affected by various factors, including the concentration and composition of the electrolyte solution, the temperature, current density, and surface area of the electrode.

What techniques can be used to speed up the electrodeposition of copper?

One technique is to increase the current density, which can be achieved by using a higher voltage or a larger electrode surface area. Agitation of the electrolyte solution and the use of additives can also help speed up the process.

Are there any risks or drawbacks to speeding up the electrodeposition of copper?

Speeding up the electrodeposition of copper can increase the risk of defects in the deposited copper, such as roughness or uneven thickness. It can also lead to higher energy consumption and potential environmental impacts due to the increased use of electricity and chemicals.