A good quantum number for Cnv symmetry?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of defining good quantum numbers in solid state physics or chemistry with discrete cylindrical symmetry. It is mentioned that in terms of angular momentum, L and L_z are good quantum numbers for spherical symmetry, while only L_z is a good quantum number for cylindrical symmetry. The conversation also touches on the use of group theory and coupling discrete angular momentum with spin projection to define eigenstates of the Hamiltonian. The concept of coupling J to L_env and generating a new good quantum number F is also mentioned. The possibility of extending this approach to systems with discrete cylindrical symmetry is discussed, but no conclusive answer is given.
Amentia
Hello,

I was wondering if it was possible to define good quantum numbers in solid state physics or chemistry when systems posses a discrete cylindrical symmetry Cnv. I know that in terms of angular momentum, L and L_z will be good quantum numbers for spherical symmetry, then only L_z is a good quantum number for cylindrical symmetry.

What about C2v, C3v, etc.? Is it possible to define an operator which commutes with the Hamiltonian and provide a quantum number similar to L_z?

I am sorry if this is common knowledge but I have not found the answer on the internet nor in the textbooks I know of.

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Amentia said:
What about C2v, C3v, etc.? Is it possible to define an operator which commutes with the Hamiltonian and provide a quantum number similar to L_z?
Of course. A ##C_{2v}## molecule is symmetric under a ##180^{\circ}## rotation about the symmetry axis, so the Hamiltonian commutes with the ##180^{\circ}## rotation operator. Tinkham’s book on group theory in quantum mechanics is a good resource.

TeethWhitener said:
Of course. A ##C_{2v}## molecule is symmetric under a ##180^{\circ}## rotation about the symmetry axis, so the Hamiltonian commutes with the ##180^{\circ}## rotation operator. Tinkham’s book on group theory in quantum mechanics is a good resource.

Thank you for your answer. When you use group theory and couple this discrete angular momentum with the spin projection, ##L_{z}(180^{\circ})+S_{z}##, is there a way to define the eigenstates of the Hamiltonian? I am used to couple L+S for L=1 and S=1/2 in semiconductor physics to obtain J=3/2 and J=1/2 states that define heavy-hole, light-hole and split-off. In some textbooks, they take only J_z as a good quantum number to define some new set of states.

I have Tinkham's book but I don't remember seeing a derivation of this procedure. Are you recommending the book in general or thinking to a specific chapter?

I guess I’m confused about what you’re asking. Are you thinking about spin-orbit coupling in molecules vs solids? Or maybe spin-rotation coupling like we see with spin isomers of hydrogen?

Sorry I tried to stay general as I was thinking it would be easier for people to answer but I guess it makes everything confusing.

I am thinking about nanostructures where you have a part of the wave function which is a Bloch state (like in regular solid state physics) and a second part which is an envelope function. So the Bloch state basis is already ##J=L+S## and then the envelope has also some angular momentum ##L_{env}##.

In the book The k.p Method by Lok Lew Yan Voon and Morten Willatzen, they first assume a spherical symmetry and say they can now couple ##J## to ##L_{env}## and generate a new good quantum number ##F## by the usual composition of angular momentum rules with Clebsch-Gordan coefficients.

Then, they consider systems with cylindrical symmetry and say ##F## is not a good quantum number anymore but we can keep its projection ##F_{z}##. Then they find that for a quantum wire for example you can write the wave function as ##|\psi_{F_{z}}\rangle = \sum_{J_{z}}C_{J_{z},F_{z}}|\frac{3}{2},J_{z}\rangle\otimes|F_{z}-J_{z}\rangle##.

Actual nanostructures can have "discrete" cylindrical symmetry like ##C_{2v}## and I was wondering if their approach could be extended to find a good quantum number, basis states... If I write the rotation operator for ##C_{2}## in the cylindrical case, I would use ##exp(i\pi F_{z}/\hbar)## but ##F_{z}## is not supposed to be a good quantum number anymore.

I hope what I am trying to understand is better explained. I am sure it must be taught in group theory books somewhere as you hinted if it has been done before in other cases. But my first question is really: is it possible?

Ah ok, yes it's much clearer what you're after now. Unfortunately, I don't have anything really insightful to say about it. I imagine it will be analogous to the symmetry breaking seen with an atom in a crystal field. ##F_z## definitely won't be a good quantum number, though. I'll think more about it if I get a moment.

1. What is a good quantum number for Cnv symmetry?

A good quantum number for Cnv symmetry is the irreducible representation (IR) label. In Cnv symmetry, the IR label describes the transformation properties of a specific state under the symmetry operations of the Cnv point group. It is a useful quantum number for identifying and characterizing states in molecules or crystals with Cnv symmetry.

2. How is the IR label determined for a state in Cnv symmetry?

The IR label for a state in Cnv symmetry is determined by applying the symmetry operations of the Cnv point group to the state and observing how the state transforms. The IR label is then assigned based on the resulting transformation properties of the state.

3. What is the significance of a good quantum number in Cnv symmetry?

A good quantum number, such as the IR label, is significant in Cnv symmetry because it allows us to classify and label states based on their transformation properties under the symmetry operations of the Cnv point group. This can help us understand the behavior and properties of these states in molecules or crystals with Cnv symmetry.

4. Can a state have multiple IR labels in Cnv symmetry?

Yes, a state can have multiple IR labels in Cnv symmetry. This is because a state can transform in different ways under different symmetry operations of the Cnv point group, resulting in multiple IR labels being assigned to it.

5. How does the IR label affect the energy levels of a state in Cnv symmetry?

The IR label does not directly affect the energy levels of a state in Cnv symmetry. However, it can provide information about the symmetry of the state, which can in turn affect its energy levels. For example, states with the same IR label will have the same energy level due to the degeneracy principle in quantum mechanics.