A Guide to Stress-Free College Life

In summary: Ft cos x sin ? sorry I'm new to the LaTex notation and idk how to put 't' in the subscript like i did before LOLIt's not the LaTeX. It's your algebra skills. Suppose you have 2*3 +2. That's equal to 8. It can also be written as 2*(3+1) which is still 8. Do you see what to do with FT? Incidentally, if you wish to write this in LaTeX you use the underscore, F_T and sandwich the expression between ## on either side. Also, "cos" and
funnymonkey92
Homework Statement
an adult is pulling two small children in a sleigh over level snow. The sleigh and children have a total mass of 47kg. The sleigh rope makes an angle of 23 degrees with the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the snow and the sleigh is 0.11. Calculate the magnitude of the tension in the rope needed to keep the sleigh moving at a constant velocity.
Relevant Equations
Fk=μFn
Fg= mg
ƩFx=0
ƩFy=0
IMG_8859.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The solution set up looks right.

As a matter of style, it is much better to keep everything symbolic until the end. It has many benefits.
E.g. in the present case write
##F\cos(\theta)=(mg-F\sin(\theta))\mu_k##
##F(\cos(\theta)+\sin(\theta)\mu_k)=mg\mu_k##
etc.

Likes funnymonkey92
@funnymonkey92 -- Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:

One other tip for posting here is to look through the "LaTeX Guide" link below the Edit window. That will help you to be able to type your work into the forum so that others can quote your work. It also makes it much easier for folks to read your work (images are often too dark and fuzzy to easily read). Learning to write equations in LaTeX is also a good skill in general, since you can use it for your homework and later in your real work. :wink:

kuruman said:
The solution set up looks right.

Could you please help me with my next steps?

berkeman said:
@funnymonkey92 -- Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:

One other tip for posting here is to look through the "LaTeX Guide" link below the Edit window. That will help you to be able to type your work into the forum so that others can quote your work. It also makes it much easier for folks to read your work (images are often too dark and fuzzy to easily read). Learning to write equations in LaTeX is also a good skill in general, since you can use it for your homework and later in your real work. :wink:

I'll try that thank you!

funnymonkey92 said:
Could you please help me with my next steps?
Look at the right hand side of the last equation. There is FT multiplying both terms. You can write the right hand side as FT(something). What is that (something)?

kuruman said:
Look at the right hand side of the last equation. There is FT multiplying both terms. You can write the right hand side as FT(something). What is that (something)?

FT cos + sin ?

This is the sum of two terms. It has to be the product of two terms.

kuruman said:
This is the sum of two terms. It has to be the product of two terms.

sooo... Ft cos x sin ?

sorry I'm new to the LaTex notation and idk how to put 't' in the subscript like i did before LOL

It's not the LaTeX. It's your algebra skills. Suppose you have 2*3 +2. That's equal to 8. It can also be written as 2*(3+1) which is still 8. Do you see what to do with FT? Incidentally, if you wish to write this in LaTeX you use the underscore, F_T and sandwich the expression between ## on either side. Also, "cos" and "sin" are meaningless without an angle as an argument.

Likes funnymonkey92

1. What is "A Guide to Stress-Free College Life"?

"A Guide to Stress-Free College Life" is a comprehensive resource that provides tips and strategies for managing stress and maintaining a healthy work-life balance during college.

2. Why is managing stress important in college?

College can be a challenging and overwhelming time for many students, and stress can have negative effects on both physical and mental health. Learning how to manage stress can improve overall well-being and academic performance.

3. Who can benefit from using this guide?

This guide is designed for all college students, regardless of their major or year in school. It can also be helpful for high school students preparing for college, as well as parents and educators looking to support their students.

4. What topics are covered in this guide?

The guide covers a wide range of topics, including time management, study skills, self-care, and coping with common stressors such as exams and social pressures. It also includes resources for seeking additional support if needed.

5. Is this guide based on scientific research?

Yes, the information and strategies in this guide are based on research from psychology, neuroscience, and education. The guide also includes references to reputable sources for further reading and understanding.