Essay on Life without Mobile phones today

In summary, the Mobile phones (Wireless technology) has impacted our lives and its hard for us where once upon a time we were using land line phones (wired technology) and still the land line phones are place in schools, colleges, residences, offices, public places (libraries, museums, zoos, aquariums etc) and also in the future. Imagination "Life without Mobile/Cell phones today". Sure, give it a try.
akerkarprashant
Could this be a good essay for school or college children to write a essay on "Life without Mobile phones today" as the essay title?

The Mobile phones (Wireless technology) has impacted our lives and its hard for us where once upon a time we were using land line phones (wired technology) and still the land line phones are place in schools, colleges, residences, offices, public places (libraries, museums, zoos, aquariums etc) and also in the future.

Imagination "Life without Mobile/Cell phones today".

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Sure, give it a try.

I lived in Japan, where mobile phone use was frowned upon and hence not often seen. Except in the boring Metro trains, where almost everyone used them. Talking on a phone is banned on the Metro so they play games, read social media so forth.

Honolulu banned mobile phone use while walking about.

Now I'm in Bali. Mobile phones are popular but I don't see Bali people absorbed in a phone.

Likes akerkarprashant
akerkarprashant said:
Could this be a good essay for school or college children to write a essay on "Life without Mobile phones today" as the essay title?

The Mobile phones (Wireless technology) has impacted our lives and its hard for us where once upon a time we were using land line phones (wired technology) and still the land line phones are place in schools, colleges, residences, offices, public places (libraries, museums, zoos, aquariums etc) and also in the future.

This would be a good essay for adults who were teenagers in the 1980s!
Are you a school teacher? I could write several essays on this!

Likes akerkarprashant
I started a job in 1996 and was given a Motorola flip phone as well as a Motorola bag phone for my truck. No one I knew back then had a mobile phone.
Now today everyone has a smart phone. I am pretty sure I could live without it. As far as my kids go...
My oldest daughter grew up with no mobile or internet. My other 2 girls grew up with the luxury of both. All 3 girls presently live with a mobile attached to the side of their head permanently. It is the way of life now.
I head out to get groceries and more times then not I leave my phone home. Drives my wife crazy! 😁
Today's generati

Likes Klystron, pinball1970 and akerkarprashant
Jodo said:
I started a job in 1996 and was given a Motorola flip phone as well as a Motorola bag phone for my truck. No one I knew back then had a mobile phone.
Now today everyone has a smart phone. I am pretty sure I could live without it. As far as my kids go...
My oldest daughter grew up with no mobile or internet. My other 2 girls grew up with the luxury of both. All 3 girls presently live with a mobile attached to the side of their head permanently. It is the way of life now.
I head out to get groceries and more times then not I leave my phone home. Drives my wife crazy! 😁
Today's generati
Meant to say today's generation might have a hard time adjusting without one. Seems my generation did just fine without

Likes symbolipoint, pinball1970 and akerkarprashant
Sounds like a fine subject for tech essay, or essays.

I am probably among the earliest users of commercial cell phones, late 1980's early 1990's. We called them 'bricks' for good reason: The battery packs made phones bulky, heavy and awkward to carry. Also, Motorla phones were shaped like an actual brick. Dropped calls (and phones!) were so common it became a ready excuse for cutting off an unwanted call.

As well as being heavy, batteries quickly lost charge. Techies also called bricks "leashes" because users had 1) to charge them consistently at an AC outlet, and 2) the boss could 'tug your leash' anytime. See above "unwanted 'dropped'" calls.

Likes pinball1970 and akerkarprashant
We had a good long thread recently about all of the different uses for mobile phones, but I'm not able to find it now with a search. Does anybody else remember that thread? Are you able to find it with a search?

I ask because it seems like good background information for such an essay. I think we were up to over 100 uses by the end of the thread...

Likes akerkarprashant and Klystron
berkeman said:
We had a good long thread recently about all of the different uses for mobile phones, but I'm not able to find it now with a search. Does anybody else remember that thread? Are you able to find it with a search?

I ask because it seems like good background information for such an essay. I think we were up to over 100 uses by the end of the thread...
Found this 2017 thread by @anorlunda :
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-do-smart-phones-partially-replace.932077/

• Love
Likes anorlunda, akerkarprashant and berkeman
Klystron said:
Perfect! Thanks :smile: (and I misremembered -- it was actually 200)

anorlunda said:
Here is a consolidated and renumbered list based on all the earlier posts. The arbitrary count of 200 has been reached.
  1. Phone
  2. Clock/watch
  3. Calendar
  4. Calculator
  5. Day planner
  6. Pencil & Paper
  7. Envelopes & Stamps
  8. Hand held GPS
  9. Compass
  10. Outdoor thermometer
  11. Maps
  12. Deck of cards
  13. Radio
  14. TV
  15. Camera
  16. Wallet full of loyalty cards, soon a wallet full of money and credit cards.
  17. Paper Newspapers
  18. Paper books
  19. Auto insurance cards for the glove box
  20. MP3 player
  21. Photo album
  22. Tape recorder
  23. Game consoles/board games/toys
  24. Home weather station
  25. Weather radiio
  26. WIFI hotspot and cable modem.
  27. Airplane or event tickets
  28. Sky maps/star charts
  29. Movie theater, 8mm movie camera, home film projector
  30. Video projector
  31. Records/record players/tape decks
  32. Night watchman/security guard/baby sitter
  33. Address book
  34. Pedeometer
  35. Mirrors to check my haircut from the rear.
  36. A doctor visit to look for wax in my ears.
  37. recipe book
  38. Owner's/operator's manuals
  39. DIY books
  40. Filing cabinets
  41. Flashlight
  42. Drone remote w/ video feed
  43. level
  44. laptop computer for internet
  45. Accelerometer
  46. Audio spectrum analyser
  47. Thermal imager/IR camera
  48. TV Remote Control
  49. Barcode scanner
  50. Earthquake Early Warning Network Notification Device
  51. Bank Teller
  52. Langauge Translator
  53. Car Mechanic (OBD plug-in diagnostics)
  54. Medical Pager
  55. CPR Notifications and CPR Coach (PulsePoint App)
  56. Vein finder for Phlebotomy
  57. Human interaction
  58. land lines
  59. telescope (40x) [$18.03 @ e-bay]*
  60. microscope (100x) [$14.99 @ amazon]*
  61. EM spectrometer (1000 lines/mm diffraction grating) [$1.70 @ homesciencetools]*
  62. Waiter/waitress check pad
  63. Credit card scanner
  64. Cash register
  65. Status symbol
  66. makeshift ignition source... (fire starter)
  67. Electric blanket replacement. (single use only. Sorry! [gas mask and fire extinguisher extra])
  68. Campfire thingy, when you can't find any firewood. (Not just an ignition source, but the source of a whole evening full of fun conversation. ps. Does anyone know how long these things burn?)
  69. Reflective surface ( to get the attention of would-be rescuers when stranded without service) [Or blink SOS in morse code]
  70. Decoy (leave it somewhere and divert attention from your real location)
  71. Dictionary/ thesaurus
  72. magnetometer
  73. metal detector
  74. light meter
  75. barometer
  76. gravitometer
  77. piano tuner
  78. piano keyboard
  79. keyboard & mouse (should have put that near the start)
  80. farmers almanac
  81. expert advice on any topic
  82. Altimeter
  83. Car starter/door remote
  84. laser range finder
  85. Scale with self-adjusting geological calibration...
  86. Cigarette case
  87. lighter
  88. bottle of wine
  89. USB memory stick.
  90. oscilloscope with microphone input
  91. volt/amp meter (with external XOIO card)
  92. Arduino remote console/development system
  93. Raspberry Pi remote console/development system
  94. Wolfram Alpha
  95. Matlab
  96. Sheet music display/play/edit/transpose
  97. comfort blanket
  98. remote text alert device ( I'm breaking up with you:, or , Your fired. )
  99. easy to cut the conversation device and ignore ( Sorry - I have a call coming in )
  100. Borescope (needs USB camera $10 from ebay).
  101. Gyroscope
  102. Shopping device
  103. Academic Conference.
  104. Virtual Reality headset
  105. Robot
  106. Spreadsheet
  107. Surveillance bug
  108. Tracking device
  109. sign placard by airport limo drivers looking for their arriving client.
  110. conversational assistant as in talking to Siri or Alexa
  111. Augmented Reallity headset or viewer.
  112. Tricorder
  113. thing locator with trackable RFID tiles
  114. Underground power locator with Bluetooth headset ie you lose the connection when crossing over one
  115. doorstop
  116. throwing weapon multiple use
  117. FFT spectrum analyzer
  118. Signal generator
  119. Internet connection speed tester
  120. Touch screen aided ruler
  121. Inclinometer
  122. Color Detector
  123. Color Generator
  124. Tunable stroboscope
  125. Data logger
  126. Home automation controller
  127. Music composer ala garage band.
  128. beat box
  129. Apartment buzzers
  130. guitar
  131. violin
  132. drums,
  133. synth .
  134. News gatherer via video and audio for reporters( replaces a lot of hefty equipment )
  135. balloon satellite
  136. world clock
  137. stopwatch
  138. alarm
  139. sleep aid (soothing sounds like ocean waves, light breeze...)
  140. sleep analyzer
  141. Remotely run Electric Trains, UAVs, etc.
  142. Guitar Tuner
  143. Guitar Chord Charts
  144. Video Conferencing
  145. Gaming
  146. enlarger
  147. trays
  148. tongs
  149. chemicals: developer, fixer, and water
  150. negative developer canister device
  151. negative album
  152. boxes to hold un-albumed photos
  153. photographic negative material (I believe we referred to is as "film")
  154. photographic "print" material (special silver impregnated paper)
  155. little red light for the darkroom (made obsolete. not sure where mine is at, but I did have one)
  156. Anyone remember what that thing that screwed into the "take a photo" button was called?
  157. Flashbulb
  158. special effects lenses
  159. color filters
  160. air poofer + brush device
  161. laser thermometer (I'm getting one of those!)
  162. Psychometric chart
  163. Ductulator
  164. Pipe sizer
  165. 3d measurement (related to but separate from laser rangefinder)
  166. Photo editor
  167. Emergency beacon
  168. Telescope controller
  169. Planetarium
  170. Satellite finder/tracker
  171. Tide chart
  172. Eclipse tracker
  173. Camera shutter release
  174. Interocitor (We have tricorde, so why not?)
  175. Library; have to remove/reduce the count?
  176. Darkroom (146-156 were darkroom equipment, but didn't mention the darkroom itself)
  177. In flight entertainment systems (airplanes)
  178. Hand warmer
  179. Killer laser controller
  180. coloring books (My wife said it and I think it's unique, you can color black and white pages :smile:)
  181. walkie talkies
  182. puzzle books
  183. Phone book
  184. heart rate monitor
  185. eeg/ecg monitor
  186. glucose tester
  187. Wives [Should we say husbands too? ]
  188. Miniature yule log.
    I'm adding some new ones.
  189. Body armor (phone in pocket stops a bullet)
  190. Baby/pet sitter, shows you video, and let's you relay voice commands.
  191. Leave it behind in your car, becomes a locator if car is stolen.
  192. Sail racing tactician, advises optimum course to steer to the mark
  193. Bait for police bait cars
  194. Pets
  195. replicatorr
  196. airline boarding pass
    new today
  197. Vibration meter
  198. Speedometer
  199. Vinyl record player RPM (place phone on rotating disk, detects periodic compass fluctuations)
  200. Non contact RPM Tachometer (Use proximity sensor or magnetic pickup)
We reached our arbitrary goal of 200. :partytime:
Remember, the question is not what smart phones do but what do they replace wholly or partially. 146-156 are a good example of darkroom claptrap that we don't need with digital photos.

• Wow
Likes Klystron and akerkarprashant
The number of things you'd have to subtract from a list of "Today's World without cellphones" is surely a lot longer than the number of things you'd have to add to a list of "The 1990s world advances 30 years without cellphones."

I'd say you'd save yourself a lot of work and guessing if you wrote such an essay from that perspective. What would "1990's-Me" envision the year 2020 to look like? (And you'd have to contrive to abort any ideas that end up with a Personal Everything Device,)But the one constant will certainly be the the relentless push to shove products and services into every nook and cranny of your attention sphere, whether there's room or not. (Gamification is one not-so-subtle but palatable way of crowding out other (nonprofitable) uses of your leisure time with advertising.)Here's an idea: what if - rather than all the information coming to you when you asked - it was simply broadcast from its fixed location. There are a number of movies out there (such as Total Recall and Minority Report) were every indoor and outdoor wall surface was an interactive ad that knew who you were when you walked by and targeted you with products and services. There's no reason why such targeted ads couldn't follow you the whole way on your commute home.

Another idea is augmented reality. A pair of glasses shows you a digital world overlaid on top of the real one. Free Guy showcased this. It's the same principle as above: the smart devices aren't personal or on your body, they're attached to the world around you.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes hutchphd, Klystron and akerkarprashant
akerkarprashant said:

Hard for elementary school children, but should be reasonable job for many high school students who can understand structuring of an essay.

Likes akerkarprashant
"In my day, kid, we communicated some distance using the home telephone connected with wires to the service, and we turned a dial to call a number; the other way to communicate and send and get information was to send it through the post office; the mailman would take care of the to and from intermediate stop points. We just needed to put on the address and zip code for where-to."

"In my day, kid, we found out what the news was by reading the newspaper and by watching the news broadcast on television!"

Likes akerkarprashant
symbolipoint said:
"In my day, kid, we communicated some distance using the home telephone connected with wires to the service, and we turned a dial to call a number; the other way to communicate and send and get information was to send it through the post office; the mailman would take care of the to and from intermediate stop points. We just needed to put on the address and zip code for where-to."

"In my day, kid, we found out what the news was by reading the newspaper and by watching the news broadcast on television!"
Yes. In my day kid was so much better.
I miss it

Likes akerkarprashant
And finally, kid, if we wanted to watch cats do stupid things - we got a cat.

• Haha
Likes hutchphd, Jodo, pinball1970 and 3 others
DaveC426913 said:
And finally, kid, if we wanted to watch cats do stupid things - we got a cat.
Straying more from the original topic,
You could watch cartoons on television, or live life with a dog.
(More difficult for some people to understand that one, but you just need to have lived with a dog to know.)

Likes akerkarprashant

1. What would life be like without mobile phones today?

Life without mobile phones would be very different from what we are used to. We would have to rely on landline phones, payphones, and in-person communication for staying connected with others. The way we communicate, work, and access information would also drastically change.

2. How would people stay connected without mobile phones?

People would have to rely on other forms of communication such as landline phones, email, and in-person interactions. Social media and messaging apps would not be accessible, so people would have to physically meet or send letters to stay in touch with loved ones.

3. What would be the impact on businesses and the economy without mobile phones?

The impact on businesses and the economy would be significant. Mobile phones have revolutionized the way we do business, from online shopping to remote work. Without them, businesses would have to rely on traditional methods of advertising and communication, and remote work would not be as efficient.

4. How would education be affected without mobile phones?

Education would also be greatly impacted without mobile phones. Students would not have access to educational apps, online resources, and communication with teachers and classmates. It would be more challenging to research and gather information without the convenience of mobile phones.

5. What are the potential benefits of living without mobile phones?

Living without mobile phones may lead to more face-to-face interactions and stronger personal relationships. It could also reduce distractions and allow people to be more present in the moment. Additionally, it may decrease the negative effects of constant screen time on mental and physical health.