A horrible experience with ISP tech support.

In summary, the customer service person was unhelpful and refused to help because the equipment was not supplied by the company. He also refused to help because the customer did not purchase the equipment from the company.
turbo
Gold Member
My wife wanted a laptop, and she got a nice bonus this year, so I bought her an ASUS. After checking for compatibility issues, I also ordered a wireless DSL modem/router. I stayed with Actiontec because that's the brand my ISP provides. I tried to Auto-Config the modem with no luck, so I called TDS tech support for some guidance.

[Rant]The tech said "Why did you buy a wireless modem?" as if I was an idiot. I explained that when the wireless ADSL modem that TDS supplied died, they refused to replace it with another wireless-capable modem. Instead they sent me some little featureless piece of crap about the size of a deck of playing cards with a single Ethernet port.

He said "That doesn't sound right." and when I insisted that that was exactly what customer service foisted on me, he got all bristly and rude. I asked him to confirm the user-name and password that I had used with that first wireless modem and he refused because I didn't get a TDS wireless modem, which his company refused me when the first one failed. Next, he told me that TDS doesn't support Actiontec wireless modems (compatibility issue) and I would have to get another modem instead. I told him that it is pretty odd for the ISP to standardize on a modem brand and not provide compatibility for most if not all of their products. Also, since I had already tried to auto-configure the modem, I didn't want to go mucking around with manual configurations/selecting ISPs from a list in case re-configuring caused more trouble. He said that I'd have to call Actiontec if I wanted any help. Instead, I looked at the configuration options (instead of spending more hair tearing time on the phone) and found out that indeed TDS is on the list of ISPs that support Actiontec wireless modems, so I dove in and did an ISP-specific configuration. Worked like a charm.

I wanted to kill that "support" guy, and wonder why he didn't know that TDS ADSL is compatible with Actiontec wireless modems, or perhaps he was too lazy and wanted to get rid of me, or was too greedy and wanted to score an order for an "approved" modem. In any case, I am not a happy camper, and wish there was a 2nd or 3rd phone service provider up here. [/Rant]

Computer science news on Phys.org
Wow, that sucks.

Krunchyman said:
Wow, that sucks.
Terrible! When TDS customer support followed up regarding slow ADSL speeds, I complained to them about the lack of support, and got responses that were incredulous at best. One lady said "Why wouldn't he help you?" That's what we do? I had no answer.

Time to get FIOS or cable. They won't give you good customer support if they think you're stuck with them no matter what.

No cable out here, ME. We are 'way out in the woods. That customer "support" jerk could have helped me configure this modem/router in seconds, but he didn't. Instead, he stonewalled me because I didn't buy/lease the equipment from TDS. I'll remember this treatment in the future and if other broadband options come available, I'll probably switch.

1. What caused the horrible experience with ISP tech support?

The experience may have been caused by a variety of factors such as technical issues, poor communication, or inadequate training of the tech support staff.

2. How can I prevent having a horrible experience with ISP tech support in the future?

To prevent future issues, make sure to thoroughly research and read reviews of the ISP before signing up, keep detailed records of any previous interactions with tech support, and clearly communicate your issue and expectations with the tech support representative.

3. What should I do if I am currently experiencing a horrible experience with ISP tech support?

If you are currently having a bad experience with ISP tech support, try to remain calm and clearly communicate your issue and expectations with the representative. If the issue is not resolved, consider reaching out to a higher level of support or filing a complaint with the ISP.

4. Is it common to have a horrible experience with ISP tech support?

Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for people to have negative experiences with ISP tech support. However, it is important to note that there are also many positive experiences and it can vary depending on the individual's situation and the ISP.

5. What can I do if I am not satisfied with the resolution provided by ISP tech support?

If you are not satisfied with the resolution provided by ISP tech support, you can consider reaching out to a higher level of support or filing a complaint with the ISP. You can also consider switching to a different ISP if the issue persists.