A missle coliding witha satelite

• Thread starter talolard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Satelite
In summary, the conversation is about solving a physics problem involving the motion of a satellite and a missile. There is a disagreement about whether to use momentum or energy conservation in the solution. It is determined that momentum must be used in the initial calculations to find the total initial momentum. Energy conservation can be used after the collision is completed, but the velocity of the composite mass must be calculated accurately.
talolard

Homework Statement

I typed it in word. Is this correct?
Thanks
Tal
attachment.php?attachmentid=27074&d=1279734034.jpg

Attachments

• Phys Q.JPG
    Phys Q.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 436
Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't the satellite moving in a circular orbit and the missile in the radial direction? It seems to me that their velocities are perpendicular to each other which means you have a collision in two dimensions.

I agree but i don't see what that means.

talolard said:
I agree but i don't see what that means.
It means that the sum of the two momentum vectors before the collision is equal to the single momentum vector after the collision. How do you two add vectors that are perpendicular to each other?

Standard vector addition?
I don't see how vectors are relevant though because all of my quantities are scalrs and not vectors.

I solved this problem correctly previously using conservation of energy but I don't understand why momentum is wrong.

talolard said:
Standard vector addition?
I don't see how vectors are relevant though because all of my quantities are scalrs and not vectors.
The initial momentum of the satellite is not in the same direction as the initial momentum of the missile. Therefore, to find the total initial momentum, you need to add the two as vectors. You need the total initial momentum to use in the momentum conservation equation.
I solved this problem correctly previously using conservation of energy but I don't understand why momentum is wrong.
It is correct to use energy conservation after the collision is completed, however the solution will not be correct unless the velocity of of the composite mass immediately after the collision is calculated correctly.

Related to A missle coliding witha satelite

1. What happens when a missile collides with a satellite?

When a missile collides with a satellite, it can result in the destruction of both objects. This can cause debris to scatter into space, potentially creating a hazard for other satellites and spacecraft in orbit.

2. How often do missile collisions with satellites occur?

Missile collisions with satellites are rare, as there are protocols in place to prevent such incidents. However, there have been a few documented cases in the past, mostly involving intentional destruction of satellites by anti-satellite missiles.

3. Can a satellite survive a missile collision?

It is unlikely that a satellite would survive a direct hit from a missile. Satellites are not designed to withstand such impacts and are relatively fragile compared to missiles, which are designed to withstand high speeds and impact forces.

4. What are the potential consequences of a missile collision with a satellite?

The consequences of a missile collision with a satellite can include the loss of critical communication or navigation services provided by the satellite, the creation of space debris which can pose a risk to other satellites and spacecraft, and potentially escalating tensions between nations if the incident was intentional.

5. How can we prevent missile collisions with satellites?

To prevent missile collisions with satellites, there are international agreements and protocols in place that regulate the use of missiles in outer space. Additionally, satellites are equipped with sensors and communication systems to detect and avoid potential collisions with debris or other objects in orbit.