Satelites & Orbits: Find the Orbital Speed

• Thread starter alex7298
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orbits
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the orbital speed of a satellite placed in orbit around Jupiter. The equation V=sqroot(GM/r) is used, and the common mistake of forgetting the square root is mentioned. The correct answer is found to be 4.2x10^4m/s. Another question is asked about finding the radius of a rotating space station for astronauts to weigh half their weight on Earth, and the equation M(V^2/r)=M(g) is used. A small mistake is made in the solving process, but the correct answer is eventually found.
alex7298

Homework Statement

A satelite is placed in orbit 6.00x10^5 meters above the surface of Jupiter which has a mass of 1.90x10^27kg and has a radius of 7.14x10^7m. Find the orbital speed of the satelite

Homework Equations

V=sqroot(GM/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

First i added the altitude of the satelite to the radius of Jupiter to find the total orbital radius, then just plugged in numbers to get:

V=sqroot((6.67x10^-11)(1.90x10^27kg)/7.2x10^7m)

That seems like it would be right but my answer is way too big

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
A common mistake in these problems is to forget the square root.

Is that what you did?

The answer I got was reasonable using your method.

lol this time i got 4.2x10^4m/s which is the right answer. Maybe i did forget the squre root.
Thanks

I had one more question and it is:
Suppose the surface of a space station is rotating and 35.8m/s. What must be the value of r (radius) for the astronauts to weigh one-half their weight on earth.

I was able to get two equations equal to each other and they are M(V^2/r)=M(g)
Then i rearranged to get V^2/r=1/2g-----> i divided "g" by two because of the half weight thing
but when i solve for r its a super small number
where am i going wrong?

It seems right to me... re-check your solving for r.

Did you remember to square the velocity? :)

What do you mean by "super small number"?

gah i made another stupid mistake
i did (1/2g)/V^2 for some reason
i have the right answer now though
lol I am having an off night
thansk tough

Related to Satelites & Orbits: Find the Orbital Speed

1. What is the purpose of calculating orbital speed?

The purpose of calculating orbital speed is to determine the velocity at which a satellite must travel in order to maintain a stable orbit around a celestial body, such as the Earth.

2. How is orbital speed calculated?

Orbital speed is calculated using the formula v = √(GM/r), where v is the orbital speed, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the celestial body, and r is the distance between the satellite and the center of the celestial body.

3. What factors affect orbital speed?

The main factors that affect orbital speed are the mass of the celestial body, the distance between the satellite and the center of the celestial body, and the altitude of the orbit.

4. What is the difference between orbital speed and escape velocity?

Orbital speed is the velocity at which a satellite must travel to maintain a stable orbit, while escape velocity is the minimum velocity required for an object to break free from the gravitational pull of a celestial body. In other words, escape velocity is the speed at which an object can escape from orbit and fly away into space.

5. How does orbital speed change in different orbits?

Orbital speed changes depending on the altitude and shape of the orbit. A circular orbit will have a constant orbital speed, while an elliptical orbit will have varying speeds at different points along the orbit. The higher the altitude of the orbit, the slower the orbital speed will be.