A more complicated question on lipid phase diagrams

In summary, the conversation discusses a question on phase diagrams and its various components such as composition trajectories, phase morphology, and domain size and internal structure. The conversation also touches on the influence of kinetics and nucleation rate on the formation and size of domains. However, there is uncertainty about how the provided slides relate to the question and Chet is unable to provide further assistance due to his limited experience in this area.
rwooduk

Homework Statement

fQFWSOB.jpg

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the final part of a past exam question. I've got through the first parts and can (thanks to a separate question I asked here) read the phase diagrams and find melting points etc. However now it's asking for "composition trajectories", "phase morphology" and "domain size and internal structure" and I'm completely lost.

I can work out the molar proportions and compostions by drawing a line down the diagram at 22% and figuring the ratio at 42 degrees. But I have no idea what to do for the above quoted terms.

Any guidance would really be appreciated, I'm completely at a loss how you would derive this information from the phase diagrams given.

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you expect the size of the domains to compare when you cool rapidly compared to when you cool slowly? (Think nucleation rate)

Chet

Chestermiller said:
How do you expect the size of the domains to compare when you cool rapidly compared to when you cool slowly? (Think nucleation rate)

Chet

Thanks for the reply. I (think I) understand that kinetics influence the rate of transformation, i.e there is an additional barrier for cooling rapidly:

QHKEOja.jpg

So domains will form slower. Or have I misinterpreted the graph?

thanks again

I think that if you cool rapidly, you will get a lot more nucleation sites, so that, in the end, there will be many more domains, but they will all be smaller.

Chet

Likes rwooduk
Chestermiller said:
I think that if you cool rapidly, you will get a lot more nucleation sites, so that, in the end, there will be many more domains, but they will all be smaller.

Chet

Hmm, that would seem logical. The only 2 slides we have to solve this problem (not coursework, a past exam paper I'm working through for revision) are these:

s7g90vE.jpg

vXfO0cu.jpg

Slide 2 says they will eventually merge into 2 domains, so when the the question asks "domain size and internal structure" won't it eventually be the same whatever the cooling rate?

Could you comment on whether you think the slides help with this question, because I've tried interpreting them but I'm still no closer to answering this question (especially giving 10 marks worth of description).

I really don't know enough about this to comment. My experience on this type of thing relates to my experience with semi-crystalline polymers. Wish I could help further.

Chet

Likes rwooduk
Chestermiller said:
I really don't know enough about this to comment. My experience on this type of thing relates to my experience with semi-crystalline polymers. Wish I could help further.

Chet

That's no problem at all, thank you for your input!

1. What is a lipid phase diagram?

A lipid phase diagram is a graphical representation that shows the physical states of lipids (i.e. solid, liquid, or gel) at different temperatures and compositions. It helps scientists understand the behavior of lipids in various environments and how they interact with one another.

2. Why is it important to study lipid phase diagrams?

Studying lipid phase diagrams is important because lipids are essential components of cell membranes and play a crucial role in various biological processes. By understanding how different factors affect lipid phase behavior, scientists can gain insights into the structure and function of cell membranes and develop new strategies for drug delivery and disease treatment.

3. How are lipid phase diagrams created?

Lipid phase diagrams are created by plotting the temperature and composition of a lipid mixture on a graph. The composition is usually represented as the mole fraction of each lipid component, while the temperature is plotted on the x-axis. The resulting curves indicate the regions where different lipid phases are present.

4. What factors can affect lipid phase behavior?

The phase behavior of lipids can be influenced by various factors, such as temperature, composition, pressure, and the presence of other molecules (e.g. water, ions, proteins). Lipid chain length, saturation, and headgroup structure can also affect the phase behavior of lipids.

5. How can lipid phase diagrams be used in research?

Lipid phase diagrams have numerous applications in research, including drug discovery and development, food science, and biomaterials engineering. They can also be used to study the effects of environmental conditions on lipid behavior and to design lipid-based systems with specific properties for various applications.