A not-so-standard buckling problem

• Thread starter irishmts
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buckling
In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the critical buckling load for an idealized structure consisting of an L-shaped rigid bar supported by linearly elastic springs at A and C. The rotational stiffness and translational stiffness are denoted as βR and β respectively. The formula PCR = C2EI/L is used to calculate the critical buckling load, where C is a constant dependent on the end characteristics of the bar, E is Young's modulus, I is inertia, and L is the length of the bar. The Euler-Bernoulli beam equation is also mentioned as a useful tool in solving this problem.
irishmts
Hey guys, this came up in one of my past papers, and I'm not quite sure where to go with it.

The diagram shows an idealized structure consisting of an L-shaped rigid bar structure supported b linearly elastic springs at A and C. Rotational Stiffness is denoted βR and translational stiffness is denoted β. If βR = 3βL2/2, determine the critical buckling load PCR for the structure

PCR = C2EI/L, where C is a constant which depends on the end characteristics of the bar, E is youngs modulus, I is inertia, and L is the length of the bar.

Given that the Bar is simply supported, that meant that Le was equal to L/2 i though, and by Le = L/sqrt(C), that gave C a value of 1/4

My first though was to try and resolve the forces being applied, so I took moments about the point of maximum deflection, L/2, when a force of P is applied, where P<PCR. But I got lost there, because I can't figure out what the moment due to the stiffnesses would be, since they are a ratio due to the force applied/ deflection, and I don't know what deflection there would be at the point the spring is attached to

Attachments

• buckling diagram.png
    buckling diagram.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 433
Physics news on Phys.org
the wall.To solve this problem, you will need to use the Euler-Bernoulli beam equation. The equation can be written as PCR = (π2EI)/L2. Since the rotational stiffness is given, you can calculate the value of I by using βR = 3βL2/2. Substituting I into the equation, you can then calculate the value of PCR.

What is a "not-so-standard buckling problem"?

A not-so-standard buckling problem refers to a scenario in structural engineering where a compression force is applied to a slender structural element, causing it to fail due to buckling rather than traditional stress or deformation. This can occur in various structures, such as columns, beams, or even thin-walled structures.

What causes buckling in structural elements?

Buckling occurs when the compressive stress applied to a slender structural element exceeds its critical buckling load. This can be caused by various factors, including the material properties of the element, its geometry and dimensions, and the type and magnitude of the applied load.

How is a not-so-standard buckling problem different from a standard buckling problem?

A standard buckling problem refers to a scenario where the compressive force is applied in the direction of the structural element's primary axis. In contrast, a not-so-standard buckling problem involves a compressive force applied in a direction that is not aligned with the primary axis, resulting in a more complex and challenging buckling behavior.

What are some common methods for analyzing a not-so-standard buckling problem?

There are various methods for analyzing a not-so-standard buckling problem, including theoretical approaches such as the Euler buckling theory and numerical methods such as finite element analysis. Experimental testing and simulations can also be used to study and understand the buckling behavior of a structural element.

How can a not-so-standard buckling problem be prevented?

To prevent a not-so-standard buckling problem, it is crucial to consider the potential for buckling during the design and construction of a structure. This can involve selecting appropriate materials, optimizing the dimensions and geometry of the structural element, and ensuring that the applied load is within the critical buckling load. Additionally, regular inspections and maintenance can help identify and address any potential issues before they lead to buckling failure.