Pytels Dynamics 12.14: particle moves on helix

In summary, we are given the position vector of a particle moving along a helix with constant angular velocity, and asked to show that the velocity and acceleration have constant magnitudes. Using the given values of R=1.2m, h=0.75m, and ω=4π rad/s, we can compute the velocity and acceleration values and see that they are indeed constant. However, we must keep the units in our calculations, as the angular velocity has dimensions of 1/time, and this affects the dimensions of the velocity and acceleration.
Alexanddros81

Homework Statement

When a particle moves along the helix shown, the componentsof its position vector are
x=Rcosωt , y = Rsinωt , ##z=-\frac h {2π} ωt##

where ω is constant. Show that the velocity and acceleration have constant magnitutes,
and compute their values if R=1.2m, h=0.75m, and ω=4π rad/s

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

for a start I would like someone to tell me by computing vz = dz/dhxdh/dt
what dh/dt is equal to? Since h = 0.75m = constant, then vz=0 and az = 0
Is my asumption correct?

Attachments

• 12_14 Pytel.jpg
    12_14 Pytel.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 475
Physics news on Phys.org
You would not take a derivative with respect to h : h and R are parameters which someone would choose to describe a specific shape and size of helix. Imagine a tightly wound screw, then you have h (the gap between adjacent helix "threads") small in relation to R. If h is larger then it will be a "shallower" spiral (imagine a drill bit). so h and R are considered constants, in this case.

Can you chek my solution?
My results are the same as Pytels

Attachments

• Pytel_Dynamics018.jpg
    Pytel_Dynamics018.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 475
Likes scottdave
It looks right to me. I didn't get out the calculator and check all the numbers. They appear to be in the ballpark, though.

One thing: I would keep the units when doing the work. You made the substitution of w = 4pi and then canceled out the pi, so that vz = -2h ; which when first looking at it, looks like a distance, not a velocity. But the w carried a dimension of (1/time), which would restore the [Length]/[Time] dimensions of velocity. (radian angle measure is considered dimensionless in most cases.

1. What is Pytels Dynamics 12.14?

Pytels Dynamics 12.14 is a mathematical model used to describe the motion of a particle moving along a helix.

2. What is a helix?

A helix is a three-dimensional curve that follows a circular path around a central axis. It is often described as a spiral or corkscrew shape.

3. How does the particle move on a helix?

The particle moves along the helix by simultaneously rotating around the central axis and moving along the circular path. This is known as helical motion.

4. What factors affect the particle's motion on a helix?

The particle's velocity, radius of the helix, and the pitch (distance between each rotation) can all affect its motion on a helix.

5. What is the significance of Pytels Dynamics 12.14?

Pytels Dynamics 12.14 is a useful tool for understanding and predicting the motion of particles on helices. It has applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and biology.