A problem regarding momentum(from an entrance exam to Uni in Japan)

In summary: M and constant velocity V releases half of its mass in fuel to increase its velocity. Using the law of conservation of momentum, we can find the new velocity of the rocket to be 3/2 times its original velocity. The sum of the kinetic energy of the fuel gas and the rocket is equal to 2 times the kinetic energy of the fuel gas.
fantasy
a problem regarding momentum(from an entrance exam to Uni in Japan)(editted)

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

In the space ,A rocket with mass M moving with constant velocity of V with no external force acting on it.

1) after sometime, the rocket release the fuel mass M/2 in an instant to increase the velocity .the velocity of the fuel relative to the rocket = V
1.1) using the law of conservation of momentum find the velocity of the rocket after the increase of the velocity
1.2) after the increase of the velocity , what is the sum of the kinetic energy of the fuel gas and the rocket?

2) (2nd situation . not the time after question 1) after sometimes the rocket release the fuel gas of mass M/4 to increase velocity .after that the rocket realease another fuel gas of mass M/4 to increase velocity. both of the velocity of the fuel relative to the rocket are V.

2.3) after increases of the velocity 2 times what is the velocity of the rocket
2.4)the first time of release of fuel gas to increase the velocity of the rocket,what is the velocity of the fuel relative to the space
2.5)the second time of release of fuel gas to increase the velocity of the rocket,what is the velocity of the fuel relative to the space
2.6) after the increase of the velocity 2 times, what is the sum of the kinetic energy of the fuel gas and the rocket?

3) (3rd situation ) After sometimes the rocket release aa amount of fuel to increase it`s velocity.after that, it release the same amount of fuel as the first time to increase it`s velocity again.both of the velocity of the fuel relative to the rocket are V.
3.7) after the second time of the release of the fuel,the velocity of rocket kV ,find the value of k (k is more than 1)
3.8) from question 3.7, if the maximum amount of the fuel released is equal to M ,what is the maximum value of k

The Attempt at a Solution

this is what i thought of using this formulae

mv = − dm (−u +v + dv ) + (m + dm )(v + dv )

and i got the answer for 1.1 = 3/2M

is it correct?

for 1.2) should sum of the kinetic energy equal to 2(1/2)(M/2)(3V/2)^2 ?

2.3) using the same formulae as 1.1 i got 5/4V and 1/5/6V

2.4,2.5,2.6,2.7 dun understand the concept= =

2.8) is it 0? because the mass of the rocket would also be reduced to 0?

sorry for not adding my own attempt at first I am new to this forum and hadnt yet to read the rule then
please ,your help will be greatly appreciated...

this is the question in the entrance exam to a University in Japan...so if the question seem confusing please do ask me...i might have mistranslated somethings...thank you very much for helps

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
fantasy said:
i tried to solved but to no avail...

this is the question in the entrance exam to a University in Japan...so if the question seem confusing please do ask me...i might have mistranslated somethings...thank you very much for helps

It would help if you showed what work you have done and where you are having a problem.

You have to show what you have attempted to do. That's why there is a section called "

The Attempt at a Solution

". Members here are prohibited from giving outright solutions.

Zz.

i stucked at the first question...= =...so i didnt

this is what i thought of using this formulae

but when i substitutued all the variable into the formulae

MV = -M/2(dV) + M/2(V+dV)

but the dV i want to know is gone after sovling...

I really do not know how to continue...

hmmm...
is the formulae correct by the way?...

i tried substituting again after relising that dm must be negative...

and i got the answer for 1.1 = 3/2M

is it correct?

Welcome to PF!

Hi fantasy! Welcome to PF! :smile:
fantasy said:

I don't understand this … :confused:

(i suspect your first bracket should just be dv)

you must write clearly if you want to pass the exam.

Start by saying "Let the new velocity of the rocket be w" (or v + dv, or whatever you want to call it).

Continue "So the velocity of the fuel is … "

(and why do you use dm when the mass of fuel is given?) :smile:

thank you very much for your advice...I use the mass given ..i just want to show the formulae i use =)...

i got this from some website
m- mass
v- velocity of rocket relative to observer
u- velocity of fuel relative to the rocket

ummm...so is the formulae usable and is 3V/2 the answer =)?

and the rest of the question?

fantasy said:

i got this from some website
m- mass
v- velocity of rocket relative to observer
u- velocity of fuel relative to the rocket

Why use u when v is velocity of fuel relative to the rocket?

It makes you look as if you are using formulas without understanding them.

That is not the way to get into university. :frown:
ummm...so is the formulae usable and is 3V/2 the answer =)?

and the rest of the question?

Yes, 3V/2 is right.

But it would be much better to say "So the velocity of the fuel is dv, so mv = m dv/2 + m (v + dv)/2 …"
fantasy said:

How do you get that? :confused:

i use the given V as the velocity relative to rocket to substituted into u in the formulae

i just want to quote the how the formulae i use looks like...

oooo...i sum up the kinetic energy of the rocket and fuel gas after the increase of the velocity...1/2 * M* (3V/2)^2 then multiplied by 2 ...is my concept wrong?...

fantasy said:
oooo...i sum up the kinetic energy of the rocket and fuel gas after the increase of the velocity...1/2 * M* (3V/2)^2 then multiplied by 2 ...is my concept wrong?...

Why did you multiply by 2?

The fuel has a different speed.

hmmmmm... because my understanding was the speed of the fuel and the rocket must be the same becuase the mass is the same ...according to Newton`s 3rd law...

but after using that formulae...my new answer is 1/2 * M/2* (V/2)^2 +1/2 * M* (3V/2)^2 = 19/16*MV^2 ? is it correct?

fantasy said:
hmmmmm... because my understanding was the speed of the fuel and the rocket must be the same becuase the mass is the same ...according to Newton`s 3rd law...

but after using that formulae...my new answer is 1/2 * M/2* (V/2)^2 +1/2 * M* (3V/2)^2 = 19/16*MV^2 ? is it correct?

Yes … except they should both have M/2, shouldn't they?

yes...typo sorry...1/2 * M/2* (V/2)^2 +1/2 * M/2* (3V/2)^2 =10/16*MV^2

right?...and thank you very much again tiny-tim for helping...

what abt next question...what concept or how should i continue?

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes an object's motion. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity. In simpler terms, it is a measure of how much energy an object has based on its size and speed.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass (m) by its velocity (v). The formula for momentum is: p = m * v. The unit of measurement for momentum is kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s).

3. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system (a system where no external forces act upon it) remains constant. This means that in a closed system, the total momentum before an event is equal to the total momentum after the event.

4. How does momentum relate to collisions?

In a collision, the total momentum of a closed system is conserved. This means that the sum of the momentums of all objects involved in the collision before the event is equal to the sum of the momentums after the event. This concept is used to analyze and predict the outcome of collisions.

5. What are some real-life examples of momentum in action?

Some real-life examples of momentum include a train moving down a track, a car accelerating on a highway, a baseball being thrown by a pitcher, and a rocket launching into space. Momentum is also involved in sports such as football, where the momentum of players can affect the outcome of a tackle or a kick.