A question about an opamp or comparator application

In summary, the conversation discusses using an op-amp comparator or difference amplifier to compare the amplitude of two differential signals, which may be out of phase and have unequal amplitude. The speaker suggests using a voltage comparator for this purpose and explains the potential pitfalls of using an op-amp. They also mention a potential circuit design using rectifiers and low-pass filters, as well as a method involving multiplying the sum and difference of the two signals and using comparators and a digital XOR gate. The conversation ends with the speaker questioning the voltage and amplitude of the signals.
physicist 12345
hello dears
i have a question at op amp
could i use the comparator to compare between to differential signals .. more specific if i have tow signals out of phase (180) and unequal amplitude could i use op amp comparator or differential amplifier to distinguish which of them is higher amplitude ??

Engineering news on Phys.org
physicist 12345 said:
could i use op amp comparator or differential amplifier to distinguish which of them is higher amplitude ??
An op-amp is designed to have a very small voltage difference between the inputs. It has an output voltage that can be stable at any value.

A voltage comparator has inputs that are happy to have a big voltage difference. The output is designed to be either high or low, with no stable point between high and low.

A difference amplifier would be made from one or more op-amps. It would produce an output voltage, (relative to a reference), that was an accurate multiple of the differential input voltage.

So you should use a voltage comparator.

Some op-amps might work in your application, but it would not be good design practice. Power consumption and recovery time of the op-amp might be high. Differential input protection clamps might connect the inputs in some situations which could corrupt high impedance input signals.

Likes brainbaby
Baluncore said:
An op-amp is designed to have a very small voltage difference between the inputs. It has an output voltage that can be stable at any value.

A voltage comparator has inputs that are happy to have a big voltage difference. The output is designed to be either high or low, with no stable point between high and low.

A difference amplifier would be made from one or more op-amps. It would produce an output voltage, (relative to a reference), that was an accurate multiple of the differential input voltage.

So you should use a voltage comparator.

Some op-amps might work in your application, but it would not be good design practice. Power consumption and recovery time of the op-amp might be high. Differential input protection clamps might connect the inputs in some situations which could corrupt high impedance input signals.

thank you .. i thought to use inverting op amp to invert one of these signals (with unity gain) and then use a comparator is this true ?? it just idea not a practical excercise

To compare the amplitude of two sinewaves can be tricky. There are many pitfalls.

You could put the waves through “rectifiers” then low-pass filter and compare the DC outputs.

The difference between two in-phase sinewaves will have a phase of 0° or 180° depending on their relative amplitude. Multiplication by a reference sinewave will synchronously detect the phase of that difference. The average, Σ( s1 * ( s1 – s2 ) ) can be fed to a comparator.

For waves that are 180° out of phase they can be added or averaged with a couple of resistors before being synchronously detected and low-pass filtered. Σ ( s1 * ( s1 + s2 )/2 )

A specification of the range of frequency, amplitude, and the DC offset of the waves is needed before a reliable circuit can be designed.

Likes brainbaby
Having thought about this problem a bit more, it turns out that there is a neat and reliable way to make the decision as to which is biggest. It works quite independently of whether the waves are in 0° phase, or are 180° out of phase.

We call the two waves x and y. First we use a couple of op-amps to compute the sum and the difference of x and y. That gives us the two voltages, sum = x+y and dif = x–y. Then we multiply those two together, (x+y) * (x–y) = x2 – y2. The average of that product over time will be a positive or negative voltage depending on the absolute amplitude of the input waves.

Because the sum and difference were computed, we have derived a big “reference” and a smaller “signal” that flips in phase. The symmetrical multiplication has effectively removed the need to know which is the smaller signal and which is the bigger reference phase, which has also eliminated the need to know the initial phase of the input signals.

The multiplication is detecting the phase of the smaller signal. In this situation, phase can be detected without an analogue multiplication. Feeding the sum and dif voltages to a couple of comparators, followed by a digital XOR gate will do the job. Low pass the digital output of the gate, then voltage compare that with half the gate supply voltage to decide if x or y had the greater amplitude.

physicist 12345 said:
i thought to use inverting op amp to invert one of these signals (with unity gain) and then use a comparator is this true ?? it just idea not a practical excercise
What voltage are these sinewaves? Does their amplitude remain fixed, roughly?

1. What is an opamp or comparator?

An opamp (operational amplifier) is an electronic component that amplifies electrical signals and is commonly used in analog circuits. A comparator is also an electronic component that compares two input signals and produces an output based on the comparison.

2. What are some common applications of opamps and comparators?

Opamps and comparators are commonly used in audio amplifiers, voltage regulators, and signal processing circuits. They can also be used in instrumentation circuits, such as in medical devices and industrial control systems.

3. What is the difference between an opamp and a comparator?

An opamp is primarily used for amplification, while a comparator is used for comparison. Additionally, opamps have a high gain and are designed for linear operation, while comparators have a fast response time and are designed for digital operation.

4. How do I choose the right opamp or comparator for my application?

Choosing the right opamp or comparator depends on the specific requirements of your application. Factors to consider include the input and output voltage ranges, bandwidth, and response time. It is also important to consider the supply voltage and power consumption of the component.

5. Can I use an opamp as a comparator and vice versa?

While opamps and comparators have similar functions, they are not interchangeable. Opamps have a limited output swing and are not designed for fast switching, while comparators have a limited gain and are not suitable for linear operation. It is best to use each component for its intended purpose.