A Question on Spinors in a High school textbook

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of spinors, which are objects used in both quantum mechanics and relativity. The speaker is struggling to understand a qualitative question involving spinors and is seeking a definition and visualization to help them comprehend it better. The problem at hand involves a specific object shown in diagram 8-13.
Falgun
TL;DR Summary
Question from Resnick Halliday Krane Chapter 8: Rotational kinematics
While revising Rotational motion, I came across a qualitative question which blew me away. Meaning I couldn't even understand the question let alone answer it😅. It has to do with these objects called spinors which as I understand are evoked in quantum mechanics and Relativity. I am attaching the question so kindly go through it. It would be really helpful if you could give me a rough idea of what spinors are. If you could throw in a visualisation or gif then even better. It's question no. 9 .

Attachments

• 16385085644098893190043023343324.jpg
    16385085644098893190043023343324.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 16385086284504281185731399793704.jpg
    16385086284504281185731399793704.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 76
Physics news on Phys.org
The spinor in tnis case is shown in the diagram. It's not directly related to QM.

So what exactly is a spinor? Like can you give me a definition which would be comprehensible to me at this stage?

Falgun said:
So what exactly is a spinor? Like can you give me a definition which would be comprehensible to me at this stage?
The problem deals with the object in diagram 8-13. For the purposes of this exercise, that is the definition of a spinor.

What are spinors?

Spinors are mathematical objects used to describe the intrinsic angular momentum of particles in quantum mechanics. They are represented by vectors in a complex vector space.

Why are spinors included in a high school textbook?

Spinors are a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and are used to describe the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. Introducing spinors in high school allows students to develop a deeper understanding of quantum mechanics and its applications.

How are spinors different from regular vectors?

Spinors are different from regular vectors in that they undergo a different transformation under rotations in space. While regular vectors change direction when rotated, spinors also change their phase or orientation.

Do high school students need to know about spinors?

It is not necessary for all high school students to have a deep understanding of spinors. However, for those interested in pursuing a career in physics or related fields, it is important to have a basic understanding of spinors and their applications.

What are some real-world applications of spinors?

Spinors have many applications in modern physics, including particle physics, quantum field theory, and condensed matter physics. They are also used in engineering for applications such as signal processing and image recognition.