A scooterist trying to overtake truck

In summary: That equation would work if the pickup vehicle were not moving. Because it's moving, the scooterist will catch up with it farther down the road than 1500 m.
rudransh verma
Gold Member
Homework Statement
A pickup vehicle is moving with a speed of 15.00 m/s on a straight road. A scooterist wishes to overtake the pickup vehicle in 150.0 s. If the pickup vehicle is at an initial distance of 1.500 km
from the scooterist, with what constant speed should the scooterist chase the pickup vehicle?
Relevant Equations
xp (distance of pickup truck from origin)= x0 + xs (distance of scooter from origin).
If 150s is the time in which overtaking has to occur then why are they using this eqn: xp=x0+xs.

Physics news on Phys.org
I prefer, how much speed of the scooterist does the driver of pick up observe in his behind?

anuttarasammyak said:
I prefer, how much speed of the scooterist does the driver of pick up observe in his behind?
I am thinking if we use v= u+ at and s=ut +halfatsquare. Take a to the lhs in both eqns and equate rhs. But my answer was wrong.
Other approach is to take vs*t=x0 where vs is to be found out. t is given and x0 (1.5km)is also given. But my answer was wrong.

rudransh verma said:
I am thinking if we use v= u+ at and s=ut +halfatsquare. Take a to the lhs in both eqns and equate rhs. But my answer was wrong.
These equations are for uniform acceleration. The problem states clearly that the skuter will move with constant velocity.
rudransh verma said:
Other approach is to take vs*t=x0 where vs is to be found out. t is given and x0 (1.5km)is also given. But my answer was wrong.
This would be correct if the velocity of the truck was zero. You should correct the above equation by adding something to ##x_0##. What is that? Try to think that while the skuter is moving to catch up the truck, the truck is also moving.

Delta2 said:
This would be correct if the velocity of the truck was zero. You should correct the above equation by adding something to x0.
Ok! So we need to cover a distance equivalent to x0 + the distance covered by truck in 150s ie xst=x0+xpt ?
The question is not about constant acceleration. Both vehicles are moving at constant speed at all time.
what is the starting point of the vehicles from origin?

You can take the origin to be anywhere and the starting points anywhere but with one restriction: Their in between distance must be 1.500Km. For convenience you can put the origin at the starting point of the skuter, at least that's how I think about this problem.

Likes rudransh verma
rudransh verma said:
That equation would work if the pickup vehicle were not moving. Because it's moving, the scooterist will catch up with it farther down the road than 1500 m. How much farther?

Likes Delta2

1. How safe is it for a scooterist to overtake a truck?

It is not recommended for a scooterist to overtake a truck due to safety concerns. Trucks have larger blind spots and require more time and space to stop, making it risky for a scooterist to pass them.

2. What precautions should a scooterist take before attempting to overtake a truck?

A scooterist should always signal their intention to overtake and check for any oncoming traffic before attempting to pass a truck. It is also important to maintain a safe distance from the truck and be aware of any potential hazards on the road.

3. Can a scooterist overtake a truck on any type of road?

No, it is not safe for a scooterist to overtake a truck on narrow or winding roads. It is best to wait for a straight and wide stretch of road with good visibility before attempting to pass a truck.

4. What should a scooterist do if a truck starts to merge while they are trying to overtake?

If a truck starts to merge while a scooterist is attempting to overtake, the scooterist should slow down and move back behind the truck. It is important to always prioritize safety and avoid potential collisions.

5. Are there any laws or regulations regarding scooters overtaking trucks?

The laws and regulations regarding scooters overtaking trucks vary by state and country. It is important for scooterists to familiarize themselves with the local traffic laws and follow them accordingly.