A simple application of a liner transformation

In summary, T is a transformation from P2(ℝ) to P2(ℝ) defined by T(p(x)) = p(x-1). To find the matrix of T with respect to the standard basis of P2(ℝ), the constant 1 from the standard basis should result in 1 when applied to the transformation.
trap101
Let T: P2(ℝ) --> P2(ℝ) be defined by T(p(x)) = p( x-1)

a) Find the matrix of T with respect to the standard basis of P2(ℝ)

Question: So I know how to do this for the most part, I'm just having a problem in terms of the constant 1 from the standard basis of {1, x , x2 from P2(ℝ). Applying the transformation to the constant 1; should i get a 0, or do I get the constant 1 back again?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
The constant 1 is actually the function

[tex]p:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}:x\rightarrow 1[/tex]

From this, it is clear that indeed p(x-1)=1.

all I needed to know. Thanks a lot.

Related to A simple application of a liner transformation

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another vector space while preserving the basic algebraic properties of the original space.

2. What is an example of a linear transformation?

An example of a linear transformation is scaling or stretching a vector by a constant factor. For example, doubling the length of a vector would be a linear transformation.

3. How is a linear transformation represented?

A linear transformation can be represented as a matrix in its standard form. The columns of the matrix represent the transformed basis vectors of the original space.

4. What is the purpose of a linear transformation?

The purpose of a linear transformation is to help us understand and analyze relationships between different vector spaces. It is also used in various fields of science, such as physics and engineering, to model and solve real-world problems.

5. How is a linear transformation applied in a simple application?

In a simple application, a linear transformation can be used to transform a set of data points to a new coordinate system. This can help us visualize and analyze the data in a more meaningful way.