Matrices and linear transformations. Where did I go wrong?

In summary, the conversation discusses a math exam and the questions and answers for a linear algebra problem set. The individual discussing the exam shares their answers for the questions and asks for clarification on their answers for question 1. The conversation also touches on topics such as linear transformations, eigenvectors, and diagonalizable matrices.
davidge
Hi everyone. Excuse me for my poor English skills. I did an exam today and my exam result was 13 of 40. I don't understand why it was my result, because while doing the exam I though I was doing it well, then the result was a surprise for me. I will write down the questions and after show my answers.

1. Homework Statement

1. (a) Let [itex] \pi_1: \mathbb{R} ^{2} \longrightarrow \mathbb{R} [/itex] such that [itex]\pi_1 (x,y) = x[/itex]. Show that [itex]\pi_1[/itex] is a linear transformation. Calculate the kernel of [itex]\pi_1[/itex]. What is the dimension of its image? Explain your reason.

(b) Give an example of a linear transformation [itex] T: \mathbb{R} ^{2} \longrightarrow \mathbb{R} [/itex] which is not surjective.

(c) There can be a injective linear transformation [itex] T: \mathbb{R} ^{2} \longrightarrow \mathbb{R} [/itex]? Explain your reason.

2. Consider the matrix

[itex] A = \begin{pmatrix}1&-2&8\\0&-1&0\\0&0&-1\end{pmatrix} [/itex]

(a) Calculate the eigenvalues and eigenspaces of A.

(b) Is A a diagonalizable matrix? Explain.

(c) Calculate [itex]tr(A^{2017})[/itex].

3. Are the matrices below diagonalizable? If not, explain your reason, if yes, diagonalize it.

(a) [itex] \begin{pmatrix}1&1\\0&1\end{pmatrix}[/itex].

(b) [itex] \begin{pmatrix}1&1\\1&1\end{pmatrix}[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
My answers:

1. (a) Linearity (addition):
π1(x1, y1) = x1, π1(x2, y2) = x2
π1(x1, y1) + π1(x2, y2) = x1 + x2 = π1(x1 + x2, y1 + y2).

Linearity (scalar multiplication):
π1(αx1, y1) + π1(αx2, y2) =
α(x1 + x2) = π1(α(x1 + x2), y1 + y2).

Ker(π1) = {0, y}, Im(π1) = ℝ2; dimension 2.

(b) T: ℝ2 → ℝ
(x, y) [itex] \mapsto[/itex] T(x, y) = [itex]\sqrt x[/itex].

(c) Yes. This condition will be satisfied if each element of ℝ2 is mapped into each element of ℝ, e.g. (x, y) [itex] \mapsto[/itex] x.

(a) 1; -1. I found these values by setting the determinant of the matrix equal to zero.
Eigenvectors of A are for λ= 1: t(1,0,0), for λ = -1: (-4α + β, β, α), with α, β, t ∈ ℝ.
So A has two independent eigenvectors and the eigenspace is ℝ2.

(b) No. We need three independent eigenvectors to form the square matrix S in SAS-1 = D, and A has only two independent eigenvectors.

(c) A² = I, A³ = A, A4 = I, ... Since 2017 is a odd number, A2017 = A, and tr(A2017) = (1 x -1 x -1) = 1.

(a) The matrix has only one eigenvalue and is not diagonalizable.

(b)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
davidge said:
Hi everyone. Excuse me for my poor English skills. I did an exam today and my exam result was 13 of 40. I don't understand why it was my result, because while doing the exam I though I was doing it well, then the result was a surprise for me. I will write down the questions and after show my answers.

1. Homework Statement

1. (a) Let [itex] \pi_1: \mathbb{R} ^{2} \longrightarrow \mathbb{R} [/itex] such that [itex]\pi_1 (x,y) = x[/itex]. Show that [itex]\pi_1[/itex] is a linear transformation. Calculate the kernel of [itex]\pi_1[/itex]. What is the dimension of its image? Explain your reason.

(b) Give an example of a linear transformation [itex] T: \mathbb{R} ^{2} \longrightarrow \mathbb{R} [/itex] which is not surjective.

(c) There can be a injective linear transformation [itex] T: \mathbb{R} ^{2} \longrightarrow \mathbb{R} [/itex]? Explain your reason.

2. Consider the matrix

[itex] A = \begin{pmatrix}1&-2&8\\0&-1&0\\0&0&-1\end{pmatrix} [/itex]

(a) Calculate the eigenvalues and eigenspaces of A.

(b) Is A a diagonalizable matrix? Explain.

(c) Calculate [itex]tr(A^{2017})[/itex].

3. Are the matrices below diagonalizable? If not, explain your reason, if yes, diagonalize it.

(a) [itex] \begin{pmatrix}1&1\\0&1\end{pmatrix}[/itex].

(b) [itex] \begin{pmatrix}1&1\\1&1\end{pmatrix}[/itex].

1 (a) ##\text{Im}(\pi_1) = \{ x \in \mathbb{R}\}##, so is 1-dimensional.
2. (a)##A## has three (linearly independent) eigenvectors.
(b) So, yes: ##A## is diagonalizable.
(c) The trace = sum of diagonal elements, not the product!

Last edited:
Thanks Ray Vickson and StoneTemplePython. What about my answers on (b) and (c) on question 1.?

1. What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, symbols, or expressions arranged in rows and columns. It is used to represent and manipulate data in many areas of mathematics, engineering, and science.

2. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another in a way that preserves the operations of vector addition and scalar multiplication. In simpler terms, it is a function that maps straight lines to straight lines.

3. How are matrices and linear transformations related?

Matrices can be used to represent and perform linear transformations. Each column in a matrix represents the image of a basis vector under the transformation. By multiplying a vector by a matrix, we can apply the transformation to that vector.

4. What are some common mistakes made when working with matrices and linear transformations?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to account for the dimensions of matrices when performing operations, not following the correct order of operations, and not understanding the properties of vector spaces and linear transformations.

5. How can I tell if I have made a mistake when working with matrices and linear transformations?

If your calculations do not result in the expected outcome, it is likely that a mistake has been made. Double-checking your calculations and following the correct order of operations can help identify and correct any errors. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of the properties and rules of matrices and linear transformations.