A Simple ##d= vt## question, but I am confused

• Thread starter billllib
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
And thank you for sharing your article, I will definitely check it out.In summary, the conversation discussed the conversion of units and dimensions and how to correctly calculate the time it takes to travel a certain distance at a given speed. The answer to the posed question is 0.1336 seconds.
billllib
Homework Statement
Answer the following questions involving the speed of light. (Assume that the speed of light is 300,000,000 meters/second. Also ignore any relativistic effects on time and length, because we have not covered those yet. In other words, the calculations below are intended to be straightforward time and distance calculations.)

(a) The circumference of the Earth at the equator is 40,075 km. If you could travel at the speed of light, how many times could you go around the Earth in one second?
Relevant Equations
##d = vt##
I think the answer should be## c = (300,000,000 ~meters/second) ##

## 300,000 km = \frac {300,000,000 ~ \rm{m/s}} {1000 ~\rm{km}}##

## d = vt ##

## d = 40,075 km ##

##t = \frac d v#### 40075 km / 300 000 km/s =0.1336 s ##

Why is the answer 7.5?
An help appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
If you can go 300,000 km in one second, how many times can you go 40,075 km in a second?

If a wall is seven meters long and your scale is two meters long, how many of them can you lay along the wall?

Got it just misread the question thanks.

Likes scottdave
billllib said:
## 300,000 km = \frac {300,000,000 ~ \rm{m/s}} {1000 ~\rm{km}}##
One thing I noticed with your formula, above: To keep the units and dimensions correct, it should actually be this:

## 300,000 ~ \rm{km/s} = \frac {300,000,000 ~ \rm{m/s}} {1000 ~\rm{m/km}}##

I'll take this moment to plug my Insights article - https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/make-units-work/
I hope you enjoy it.

Likes PeroK
Thanks

Related to A Simple ##d= vt## question, but I am confused

1. What is the formula for solving a "d=vt" question?

The formula for solving a "d=vt" question is distance (d) equals velocity (v) multiplied by time (t).

2. How do I know which units to use for distance, velocity, and time?

The units for distance, velocity, and time should be consistent with each other. For example, if distance is measured in meters, then velocity should be measured in meters per second and time in seconds.

3. Can I use this formula for any type of motion?

Yes, the formula "d=vt" can be used for any type of motion as long as the velocity is constant.

4. What if the velocity is not constant?

If the velocity is not constant, then the formula "d=vt" cannot be used. Instead, you would need to use a different formula that takes into account the changing velocity, such as "d = (v0 + vf)/2 * t", where v0 is the initial velocity and vf is the final velocity.

5. Can I use this formula for both positive and negative velocities?

Yes, the formula "d=vt" can be used for both positive and negative velocities. The direction of the velocity (positive or negative) will affect the direction of the distance traveled.