A solution of hydrogen ions with no counterions

In summary, we discussed the possibility of creating a solution containing only protons by adding a transitional metal to hydrochloric acid and allowing the resulting gas to bubble out. We also considered using a lipophilic anion as a conjugate base to create a charge separation in the solution. Additionally, we discussed the use of stearic acid as a surfactant in this experiment. Finally, we discovered that this experiment is a rediscovery of the electrolytic double layer and the Nernst-Planck equation.
CrimpJiggler
If I add some HCl to water then I'll have H+ ions but for every proton there'll be be a Cl- counterion. I've never heard of a solution containing only the protons. You could make one if your conjugate base reacted with a solute to form a gas. The gas bubbles out and all you're left with are the protons. Is this possible? If so can anyone gimme a real life example.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
CrimpJiggler said:
You could make one if your conjugate base reacted with a solute to form a gas.

Think it over. What solute? What reaction? Try to give an example, not real, but just in the form of hypothetical reaction, assume your solute is - for example - compound AmBn, or anything similar.

I wonder if you will have enough time, if some smarty pants will not give you the final answer to show how bright they are...

Okay let's say I have a solution of hydrochloric acid. I add a transitional metal which coordinates chloride ions. Let's say the MCln complex is a gas at room temperature or else precipitates out of solution. Wouldn't I be left with a solution containing hydronium ions with no counterions?

In what form do you add a transitional metal?

CrimpJiggler said:
If I add some HCl to water then I'll have H+ ions but for every proton there'll be be a Cl- counterion. I've never heard of a solution containing only the protons. You could make one if your conjugate base reacted with a solute to form a gas. The gas bubbles out and all you're left with are the protons. Is this possible? If so can anyone gimme a real life example.

Can you figure out how large would be the electric charge of 1 mole of isolated H+ ions?

Thinking about it, this is possible in principle. You could consider some acid with a lipophilic anion (at least in comparison with H+). Then you would create some (very small) charge separation when putting a hydrophobic solvent on top of the aequous acid solution. That would be a chemical analogon to an np junction.

Borek said:
In what form do you add a transitional metal?

I was thinking a pure elemental metal so as to avoid introducing any new anions into the solution. For example boiling tin in azeotropic hydrochloric acid produces stannous chloride. Its soluble in water though so that's a bad example.

DrDu said:
Can you figure out how large would be the electric charge of 1 mole of isolated H+ ions?
This is what I was thinking. The buildup of positive charge might prevent additional MCln molecules from forming. What you said about lipophilic conjugate bases is interesting. Would the lipophilic anions actually move into the organic layer though, that's the question. Theres only 1 real way to find out. Would you say stearic acid would work for this experiment? Maybe a shorter a chain fatty acid would be more suitable since it would be easier to deprotonate.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, the deprotonated fatty acid would act as a surfactant and turn the mixture into an emulsion wouldn't it?

Last edited:
CrimpJiggler said:
I was thinking a pure elemental metal so as to avoid introducing any new anions into the solution.

Then you have to convert it to ions. How?

For example boiling tin in azeotropic hydrochloric acid produces stannous chloride.

Write reaction equation. Note that neither boiling nor azeotropic matters, it is just dissolving tin in hydrochloric acid.

Related to A solution of hydrogen ions with no counterions

1. What is a solution of hydrogen ions with no counterions?

A solution of hydrogen ions with no counterions refers to a solution that contains only positively charged hydrogen ions (H+) and no other ions to balance out their charge. This type of solution is also known as an "unbuffered" or "pure" acid solution.

2. How is a solution of hydrogen ions with no counterions created?

A solution of hydrogen ions with no counterions can be created by dissolving a strong acid, such as hydrochloric acid (HCl), in water. The acid molecules dissociate into hydrogen ions and chloride ions, but since the solution is not buffered, there are no other ions present to neutralize the charge of the hydrogen ions.

3. What are the properties of a solution of hydrogen ions with no counterions?

A solution of hydrogen ions with no counterions is highly acidic, with a low pH level. It is also highly reactive and can be corrosive to certain materials. It is important to handle this type of solution with care and use appropriate safety precautions.

4. What is the significance of a solution of hydrogen ions with no counterions in scientific research?

A solution of hydrogen ions with no counterions is commonly used in scientific research, particularly in the fields of biochemistry and molecular biology. It is often used to adjust the pH of solutions or to create a specific acidic environment for certain experiments.

5. How does a solution of hydrogen ions with no counterions differ from a buffered solution?

A solution of hydrogen ions with no counterions differs from a buffered solution in that it does not have any other ions present to help neutralize the charge of the hydrogen ions. Buffered solutions, on the other hand, contain both a weak acid and its conjugate base, which work together to maintain a stable pH level.