A string over a pulley with two hoops wound like spools on each end

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to a problem involving two rotating hoops and the calculation of the torque. The solution involves four equations with four unknowns, including the moments of inertia of the hoops. However, there is confusion about the moment of inertia of a thin hoop and whether it should be ½MR2 or MR2. After some discussion and clarification, it is determined that the correct expression for the moment of inertia is MR2, and the solution involves two errors that need to be corrected.
pleasantresult
Homework Statement
This is question 1.3 from Fetter and Walecka.

A massless string is placed over a massless pulley, and each end is wound around and fastened to a vertical hoop. The hoops have masses M1, M2 and radii R1, R2. The apparatus is placed in a uniform gravitational field g and released with each end of the string aligned along the field. Show that the tension in the string is tau = g*M1*M2*(M1+M2)^(-1).
Relevant Equations
tau = g*M1*M2*(M1+M2)^(-1)
I have seen the solution to this problem but I don't understand it.

Here is my drawing of the problem.
1589927184485.png

Apparently I should do the sum of the forces and sum of the torques for both hoops like this:
hoop 1:
(1) τ - M1g = M1(a1t-a1R)
(2) τR1 = ½M1R12a1r/R1
hoop 2:
(3) M2g - τ = M2(a1t+a2r)
(4) τR2 = ½M2R22a2r/R2
Where a1t and a2t are the translation accelerations up or down of hoops 1 and 2.
Where a1r and a2r are the rotational tangential accelerations of hoop 1 and hoop 2.
In the sum of the forces equations, the total linear accelerations are found by subtracting the tangential rotational acceleration for hoop 1 and adding the tangential rotational acceleration for hoop 2 based on the chosen orientations of positive linear and angular directions for the hoops.
In the third equation, you can sub in a1t where you would expect a2t because without rotation, the distance that hoop 2 drops will be the same as the distance that hoop 1 rises.
Then you have four equations with the four unknowns τ, a1t, a1r, and a2r which you can solve to get the result that τ = gM1M2/(M1+M2)-1
Everything about this setup makes sense to me except the moments of inertia that are used in equations 2 and 4. Isn't the moment of inertia of a thin hoop about its center MR2 not ½MR2?

Physics news on Phys.org
pleasantresult said:
Where a1t and a2t are the translation accelerations up or down of hoops 1 and 2.
Where a1r and a2r are the rotational tangential accelerations of hoop 1 and hoop 2.
Are you sure about eqn 1? On the left you have the net upward force on the hoop. Why should the right hand side not just be M1a1t? Do you perhaps intend that a1t is a relative acceleration?
And it is too vague to say the accelerations are "up or down". You need to say which (i.e. which way is to be taken as positive) or it is not possible to know what the signs should be in the equations.

Thank you for your response.

haruspex said:
Are you sure about eqn 1? On the left you have the net upward force on the hoop. Why should the right hand side not just be M1a1t? Do you perhaps intend that a1t is a relative acceleration?
I am sure about equation 1 because I have seen the solution and these four equations can be solved together to determine the correct expression for τ. I thought it made sense that the actual acceleration of the hoop would be the difference between the acceleration due to being pulled and the tangential acceleration of rotating back down. But I see your point and I'm not sure why this equation is justified. Would relative accelerations explain it like you suggested?
haruspex said:
And it is too vague to say the accelerations are "up or down". You need to say which (i.e. which way is to be taken as positive) or it is not possible to know what the signs should be in the equations.
I tried to indicate the positive directions. I put that the position for hoop 1, y1, is positive pointing up. Then the acceleration would also be positive pointing up. I put that the position for hoop 2, y2, is positive pointing down. Then the acceleration would also be positive pointing down. And I used θ1 and θ2 to indicate the positive rotational directions for hoops 1 and 2.

Do you have any thoughts about the moment of inertia of a thin hoop? Why would the solution have it as ½MR2 and not MR2?

Lnewqban said:

So why does the solution I have seen for this problem look like it uses ½MR2? I don't think it makes sense to apply the parallel axis theorem in this situation. The hoops are rotating about their centers right? And applying the parallel axis theorem can only make the moment of inertia bigger than its moment about center.

pleasantresult said:

So why does the solution I have seen for this problem look like it uses ½MR2? I don't think it makes sense to apply the parallel axis theorem in this situation. The hoops are rotating about their centers right? And applying the parallel axis theorem can only make the moment of inertia bigger than its moment about center.
I dropped the spurious axR terms from equations 1 and 3, and used MR2 instead of half that. Remarkably, I got the target expression for ##\tau##. So it looks like a case of two errors cancelling.

Likes etotheipi
haruspex said:
I dropped the spurious axR terms from equations 1 and 3, and used MR2 instead of half that. Remarkably, I got the target expression for ##\tau##. So it looks like a case of two errors cancelling.

Thank you.

Great! I'm going to try that because that would make more sense to me, too.

haruspex said:
pleasantresult said:
I am sure about equation 1 because I have seen the solution and these four equations can be solved together to determine the correct expression for τ.

@haruspex is right, if ##a_{1t}## is the acceleration of the centre of mass of the hoop in the lab frame then ##T - M_1 g = M_1 a_{1t}##. This is an application of one of Euler's Laws of Motion.

You can denote the velocity of the part of the disk currently just in contact with the string (taking ##\hat{y}## pointing upward) as ##v = r_1 \omega_1 - v_1##. It follows that ##a = r_1 \alpha_1 - a_1## and you can do the same for the second mass.

The key part is to understand how the two accelerations are related!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Lnewqban
pleasantresult said:

The only context in which this relation would make sense would if if ##a_{1t}## were the acceleration of the edge of the disk w.r.t. the lab frame. But that doesn't appear to be how you've defined it.

pleasantresult said:

I have no idea, and I am not sure about the solution, but it is an interesting situation.
This problem combines an Atwood machine with two spinning falling rings of different masses and radii (two yo-yo's basically).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atwood_machine

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/518729/simple-yo-yo-work-problem

The solution would be simpler if the rings were statically (not spinning) hanging from the string, just like regular masses do in this type of problems.
Then the string would be moving with certain acceleration proportional to the difference between the masses only.

The radii and the two angular accelerations introduce additional complication.
It seems to me that tension of the string should be lower with spinning rings than with non-spinning bodies of equivalent masses.

Related to A string over a pulley with two hoops wound like spools on each end

1. What is a string over a pulley with two hoops wound like spools on each end?

A string over a pulley with two hoops wound like spools on each end is a simple machine that is used to change the direction of a force. It consists of a string or rope that is looped over a pulley and has two hoops, or spools, wound on each end. This setup allows for the string to be pulled in one direction and have the force transferred to another direction.

2. How does a string over a pulley with two hoops wound like spools on each end work?

The string over a pulley with two hoops wound like spools on each end works by using the principle of mechanical advantage. When a force is applied to one end of the string, it is transferred to the other end through the pulley, resulting in a change in direction of the force. This allows for the user to exert less force to move an object in a different direction.

3. What are the applications of a string over a pulley with two hoops wound like spools on each end?

There are many applications of a string over a pulley with two hoops wound like spools on each end, including lifting heavy objects, changing the direction of a force, and creating a mechanical advantage. It is commonly used in simple machines, such as cranes and pulley systems, to make tasks easier and more efficient.

4. What are the advantages of using a string over a pulley with two hoops wound like spools on each end?

The main advantage of using a string over a pulley with two hoops wound like spools on each end is that it allows for a change in direction of a force, making it easier to move objects or perform tasks. It also creates a mechanical advantage, meaning that less force is needed to achieve the same amount of work. Additionally, it is a simple and cost-effective solution for lifting and moving objects.

5. Are there any limitations to using a string over a pulley with two hoops wound like spools on each end?

While a string over a pulley with two hoops wound like spools on each end has many advantages, there are also some limitations. One limitation is that the string can only move in a straight line, so it may not be suitable for tasks that require movement in multiple directions. Additionally, the string may wear out or break over time, so it may not be suitable for heavy or continuous use.