A way to separate the components of a solution?

In summary: You want to separate ions? Try to calculate force with which 1 mole of K+ attracts one mole of Cl+ if separated by 1 meter.Semi-permeable membrane and electrets ?;-)
somasimple
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Is there a simple,fast but pasqsve way to separate ions from a solution?
Hi all,

A solution contains ions, positive and negative ones (i.e k+ cl-).
Is there a simple but passive way (without adding any kind of energy) to separate by exemple the potassium ions from the solution?
(IMHO, I do not think so)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You are probably on the right track, but question is ambiguous, so it is hard to give an unambiguous answer. if you leave the KCl solution in an open vessel for long enough, you'll get the KCl separated "passively".

somasimple said:
without adding any kind of energy
The ions are in solution because they like it there (it's energetically favourable) . So somehow you need work (=energy) to get them out of their comfort zone !

You are also talking of electric charge separation: no can do without work.

Not exactly clear, and my own knowledge is now very much weakened, but maybe you are hoping for Ion Exchange Chromatography? Or, are you maybe interested if for chloride, to force it to be precipitated with something and then separated through filtration?

Borek said:
You are probably on the right track, but question is ambiguous, so it is hard to give an unambiguous answer. if you leave the KCl solution in an open vessel for long enough, you'll get the KCl separated "passively".
Evaporation does not separate positive from negative ones: I'll get a neutral salt.
BvU said:
The ions are in solution because they like it there (it's energetically favourable) . So somehow you need work (=energy) to get them out of their comfort zone !

You are also talking of electric charge separation: no can do without work.
That is the second part of your reply I'm focused on:
It's like a separation of mater, removing positive ions becomes harder and harder because every time I remove a positive the remaining solution becomes more negative and attracts more and more the positive ?

Is there a chemilcal law/rules that explains it?

No. It's all physics :smile: electrostatics, energy, entropy, thermodynamics. Physical chemistry at best.

BvU said:
No. It's all physics :smile: electrostatics, energy, entropy, thermodynamics. Physical chemistry at best.
I have nothing against Physics, too.
I suppose it comes from something against electroneutrality?

You want to separate ions? Try to calculate force with which 1 mole of K+ attracts one mole of Cl+ if separated by 1 meter.

Likes BvU
Semi-permeable membrane and electrets ?
;-)
Snag is you must put energy into the system. Dialysis, electrophoresis, running the mix through electric / magnetic field and skimming enhancement etc all take power. Tricks such as chelation, ion-exchange and 'ion trap' molecular cages may passively take up the stuff of interest, but then you must get the stuff from its binder...

Industrially, IIRC, you could get eg Na & Cl2 from brine using electrolysis using a mercury pool as one electrode, but that uses a lot of electrical power.
'Nowt for owt' situation...

1. How does a solution separate into its components?

A solution separates into its components through a process called separation. This involves using physical or chemical methods to isolate the individual substances that make up the solution.

2. What are some common methods for separating components of a solution?

Some common methods for separating components of a solution include filtration, distillation, chromatography, and evaporation. These methods take advantage of differences in physical or chemical properties of the components to separate them.

3. Can any solution be separated into its components?

Yes, most solutions can be separated into their components using appropriate methods. However, some solutions may be difficult to separate if the components have very similar properties or if the solution is highly concentrated.

4. How do you determine which method to use for separating a specific solution?

The method used for separating a specific solution depends on the properties of the components and the desired outcome. For example, if the components have different boiling points, distillation may be the best method, while if the components have different solubilities, chromatography may be more effective.

5. What are the potential applications of separating components of a solution?

The separation of components in a solution has many practical applications, such as in purifying water, extracting substances from natural sources, and producing pharmaceuticals. It is also important in research and analytical chemistry for identifying and quantifying substances in a solution.