Controlling pH of solution without changing its conductivity

In summary, the speaker is looking for a way to control the pH of their experiment without changing the ion concentrations. They consider using a pH buffer, but note that it may still affect the conductivity of the solution. They also suggest using NaOH or HCl and measuring the excess ions with a pH meter, then using a conductivity meter to calculate the concentration of NaCl. However, the effectiveness of this method may depend on the specific experiment.
Urmi Roy
Hi,
I need to conduct experiments at fixed pH. The complication is that the solution I'm using will have NaCl in it. So if I add HCl or NaOH to make the solution more acidic or basic, the conductivity of the solution (as measured by a conductivity meter) will change due to the added Na+ or Cl-.
So I'm wondering if there's a way to control pH without changing the ion concentrations. Would using a pH buffer be a good solution to this?

Thanks,
Urmi

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Changing pH means changing the concentrations, there is no simple workaround.

You may be able to keep the conductivity constant by adding not only a buffer but also another inert salt and varying its amount. Tricky, and it still doesn't have to work the way you want it to, as you will be changing ionic strength of the solution.

But if you are planning on experiments at constant pH using a buffer, conductivity due to the buffer presence will be constant throughout the experiments. As long as it is not orders of magnitude higher than the signal you are looking for, you should be able to just subtract the background.

Likes Urmi Roy
Borek said:
Changing pH means changing the concentrations, there is no simple workaround.

You may be able to keep the conductivity constant by adding not only a buffer but also another inert salt and varying its amount. Tricky, and it still doesn't have to work the way you want it to, as you will be changing ionic strength of the solution.

But if you are planning on experiments at constant pH using a buffer, conductivity due to the buffer presence will be constant throughout the experiments. As long as it is not orders of magnitude higher than the signal you are looking for, you should be able to just subtract the background.

Thanks for the reply.I find that the commercially available buffer solutions have multiple constituents so calculating it's contribution to the conductivity (in order to subsequently be able to subtract it out) is not trivial.
So now I'm thinking of just adding NaOH or HCl, which dissociate fully. Using a pH meter I could test for the excess number of OH-/H+ ions.Then using a conductivity meter I could test for the total contribution of NaCl and NaOH (or NaCl and HCl). From the link below [1] (table 9.4), it seems that the correction factor from conductivity to concentration for HCl and NaOH are linearly dependent on temperature. These correction factors would allow me to calculate the contribution of the base/acid to the conductivity and so I could calculate concentration of NaCl.

Please let me know if I'm thinking of this in the wrong way.

[1] http://msdssearch.dow.com/Published...seps/pdfs/noreg/609-02127.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc

Hard to answer without knowing exactly what you are trying to do. But in most cases e.g. if this is biophysical, wild and uncontrolled variations of pH are likely to affect your system much more than small variations of conductivity! In many cases a constant buffer concentration 10 or 20% of your total salt concentration would satisfy your needs.

1. How can I adjust the pH of a solution without altering its conductivity?

There are several ways to control the pH of a solution without changing its conductivity. One method is to use a buffer solution, which contains a weak acid and its conjugate base. Buffers are able to maintain a relatively constant pH even when small amounts of acid or base are added. Another method is to use a titration technique, where a strong acid or base is added in small increments while monitoring the pH until the desired level is reached.

2. Why is it important to maintain a constant pH in a solution?

The pH of a solution can affect the chemical and biological processes that take place within it. For example, many enzymes and other biological molecules function within a specific pH range. Additionally, changes in pH can alter the solubility and reactivity of certain compounds, which can have a significant impact on the overall functionality of a solution.

3. Can I use conductivity to measure the pH of a solution?

No, conductivity and pH are not directly related. Conductivity measures the ability of a solution to conduct electricity, while pH measures the concentration of hydrogen ions in a solution. However, changes in pH can affect the conductivity of a solution, so monitoring both properties can provide a more comprehensive understanding of the solution's behavior.

4. Are there any drawbacks to controlling pH without changing conductivity?

While it may be desirable to maintain a constant conductivity, it is not always feasible or practical. In some cases, adjustments to the conductivity may be necessary in order to achieve the desired pH level. Additionally, controlling pH without changing conductivity can be more challenging and may require more frequent monitoring and adjustments.

5. Can pH and conductivity be controlled simultaneously?

Yes, it is possible to control both pH and conductivity simultaneously. This can be achieved through the use of advanced instrumentation and systems that allow for precise adjustments and monitoring of both properties. However, it may require a higher level of expertise and resources to implement such a system.