A weird velocity/acceleration question

In summary, the homework statement says that an object moves according to the equation x = vt + ke^(bt), where k, v, and b are constants, x represents distance in meters, t represents time in seconds, and e is the base of the natural logarithms. The equation provided says that the initial velocity (at time t=0) is v, and the acceleration at t = 1/b seconds is kb2e.
inaiki

Homework Statement

This problem showed up in my final review packet, and I /think/ it should be basic kinematics, but I don't even know how to approach it with the second half of it.

An object moves according to the equation x = vt + ke^(bt), where k, v, and b are constants, x represents distance in meters, t represents time in seconds, and e is the base of the natural logarithms.

a. Find the initial velocity (at time t=0)
b. Find the acceleration at t = 1/b seconds.

Homework Equations

x = vt + .5at2

The Attempt at a Solution

a: I assumed inital velocity would just be v... but the answer key says it's supposed to be v + kb.

b: Since the equation given was similar to the format of x = vt + .5at2, I made the (questionable, I think) assumption that kebt = .5at2.

Plugging in t = 1/b,

.5a(1/b2) = keb/b

a = 2keb2

This one was closer to the actual answer of keb2, but still wrong and I'm very lost now.

I feel like I went in the completely wrong direction with this... any pointers?

Physics news on Phys.org
The relevant equation you identified is for a system with constant acceleration. Not applicable here. If you are given an expression for x(t), what to you normally do to get the expression for v(t)? For a(t)?

I think I'd take the derivative of x(t) for v(t), and the second derivative for a(t). But since v is already in the equation, does that still apply?

inaiki said:
I think I'd take the derivative of x(t) for v(t), and the second derivative for a(t). But since v is already in the equation, does that still apply?

I'd assume ##v## is supposed to be a constant here. As stated in the question, in fact. This means you are not going to be able to use the symbol ##v## for ##dx/dt##.

PeroK said:
I'd assume ##v## is supposed to be a constant here. As stated in the question, in fact. This means you are not going to be able to use the symbol ##v## for ##dx/dt##.

...Oh. I feel stupid now.

a. velocity = dx/dt = v + kbebt
when t=0,
dx/dt = v + kb

b. acceleration = dv/dt = kb2ebt
when t = 1/b,
dv/dt = kb2e

Thank you!

1. What is velocity and acceleration?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position over time, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. Velocity is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction, while acceleration is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude (change in speed).

2. How are velocity and acceleration related?

Acceleration is the derivative of velocity, meaning it is the rate of change of velocity over time. In other words, acceleration is the change in velocity divided by the change in time. This relationship is described by the equation a = ∆v/∆t, where a is acceleration, ∆v is change in velocity, and ∆t is change in time.

3. What is the difference between average and instantaneous velocity/acceleration?

Average velocity/acceleration is calculated by taking the total displacement/change in velocity over a given time period. Instantaneous velocity/acceleration, on the other hand, is the velocity/acceleration at a specific moment in time. It can be calculated by taking the derivative of the position/velocity function at that specific time.

4. What factors affect an object's velocity and acceleration?

An object's velocity and acceleration can be affected by various factors such as the force applied, the mass of the object, and external forces such as friction and air resistance. The direction of the force and the angle at which it is applied can also affect the object's velocity and acceleration.

5. How can velocity and acceleration be measured?

Velocity and acceleration can be measured using various tools such as a speedometer, accelerometer, or motion sensors. These tools record the object's position and calculate its velocity and acceleration based on the change in position over time. In some cases, velocity and acceleration can also be calculated using mathematical equations and formulas.