Abelian group w/ 1000 elements?

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of a group with 1000 elements, specifically whether Z mod 1000 under addition or multiplication is a group and if it is abelian. It is mentioned that Z mod 100 under addition is a group with 100 elements, and there are difficulties in checking the inverse property for Z mod 1000 under multiplication. It is also noted that the statement that any group of order n is isomorphic to Z mod n is only true for prime numbers.
Unassuming
Abelian group w/ 1000 elements?

My guess is...

Z mod 100 under addition.

I am new to algebra though...any thoughts?

Also, what about multiplication?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Z mod 100 under addition is a group. But it has 100 elements, not 1000. Z mod 100 under multiplication isn't even a group. Why not? Do you just want an example of a group with 1000 elements?

Dick said:
Z mod 100 under addition is a group. But it has 100 elements, not 1000. Z mod 100 under multiplication isn't even a group. Why not? Do you just want an example of a group with 1000 elements?

Ahh, Z mod 1000 has a thousand elements and under addition is a group? How am I supposed to check a*(b*c)=(a*b)*c? Also, is it abelian?

Under mult., I don't know how to check either. I checked a small table and it worked...

I feel like any group of order n is isomorphic to Z mod n under addition (and/or mult) but I cannot find this in my book. I remember my prof saying it though.

Z mod 1000 is associative because (Z,+) is associative. And it's commutative, since (Z,+) is commutative. Under multiplication 0*a=0 for all a and 10*100=0. Thinks like that are going to pose problems for the inverse property of a group. You can't find the statement that any group of order is isomorphic to Z mod n in your book because it's not true. It isn't even true for abelian groups. It's only true if n is prime.

Related to Abelian group w/ 1000 elements?

1. What is an Abelian group with 1000 elements?

An Abelian group with 1000 elements is a mathematical structure consisting of 1000 elements that satisfy the commutative property, meaning that the order in which operations are performed does not affect the result. This group is named after mathematician Niels Henrik Abel and is a fundamental concept in abstract algebra.

2. What are the properties of an Abelian group with 1000 elements?

An Abelian group with 1000 elements has the following properties:

• Closure: The result of any operation between two elements in the group is also an element in the group.
  • Associativity: The order in which operations are performed does not affect the result.
  • Identity element: There exists an element in the group that when combined with any other element, gives back that element.
  • Inverse element: Every element in the group has an inverse element that, when combined, gives the identity element.
  • Commutativity: The order in which operations are performed does not affect the result.

3. How many possible Abelian groups with 1000 elements are there?

There are infinitely many possible Abelian groups with 1000 elements. This is because the elements in the group can be any integers, fractions, or even complex numbers, and the operations can range from addition and multiplication to more complex operations.

4. What are some real-world applications of Abelian groups with 1000 elements?

Abelian groups with 1000 elements have applications in various fields, including physics, chemistry, computer science, and cryptography. In physics, they can be used to describe symmetries in physical systems. In chemistry, they can be used to describe the symmetry of molecules. In computer science, they are used in coding theory and error-correcting codes. In cryptography, they are used to create secure encryption algorithms.

5. How can one determine if a group with 1000 elements is an Abelian group?

To determine if a group with 1000 elements is Abelian, one must check if the operation is commutative. This can be done by performing the operation on two arbitrary elements in the group and checking if the result is the same regardless of the order in which the elements were combined. If the operation is commutative, then the group is an Abelian group.