? about oscillating models of the Universe and Entropy

In summary, the second law of thermodynamics does not break down in a bounce universe. However, this does not mean that the universe will always be in a state of maximum entropy.
huginn
I know that early oscillating models of the universe fail due to the second law of thermodynamics. One thing that I am unclear about is since as far as i know the laws of physics break down in a singularity can the second law of thermodynamics break down also?
When I see comments to the effect of a singularity is something we can't understand,describe,comprehend , the laws of physics but by the way the second law of thermodynamics still applies I am a little unsure why that law still applies.

I know I am missing something here and can someone explain this in layman terms

Space news on Phys.org
huginn said:
I know that early oscillating models of the universe fail due to the second law of thermodynamics.

Can you give a reference for where you found this statement?

huginn said:
I know that early oscillating models of the universe fail due to the second law of thermodynamics. One thing that I am unclear about is since as far as i know the laws of physics break down in a singularity can the second law of thermodynamics break down also?
When I see comments to the effect of a singularity is something we can't understand,describe,comprehend , the laws of physics but by the way the second law of thermodynamics still applies I am a little unsure why that law still applies.

In the modern bounce models, there is no singularity and the laws of physics don't break down.

huginn said:

From the Arxiv paper referenced in your first link:

One of the oldest questions in theoretical cosmology is whether an infinitely oscillatory universe which avoids an initial singularity can be consistently constructed. As realized by Friedmann and especially by Tolman one principal obstacle is the second law of thermodynamics which dictates that the entropy increases from cycle to cycle. If the cycles thereby become longer, extrapolation into the past will lead back to an initial singularity again, thus removing the motivation to consider an oscillatory universe in the first place. This led to the abandonment of the oscillatory universe by the majority of workers.​

Given we do not know [or even how to know] the initial conditions necessary to induce a 'Big Bang', assumptions regarding the initial 'vacuum state' / entropy/ whatever of the embryonic universe are unfounded. The expected result of applying unfounded assumptions to model building is nonsense in, nonsense out.

Not all bounce models are oscillating models. Some consider a one time bounce so the history of the universe looks like an hourglass. There are a number of possible solution I have heard to the entropy question:
1 the entropy gets reset at the bounce
2 the maximum entropy can be infinite and so never goes to maximum
3 the entropy has a a low point at the bounce, growing in both directions on either side, this is known as a Janus universe
4 entropy is observer dependant and as no observer can go through the bounce you basically get the same as in option 1

But of course no one knows, so statements about what is ruled out or not seems speculative to me. Nothing wrong with speculation , without we wouldn't get anywhere . but important not to treat it as fact.

1. What is an oscillating model of the Universe?

An oscillating model of the Universe is a theory that suggests the Universe expands and contracts in a cyclical pattern. This means that after a period of expansion, the Universe will eventually collapse in on itself and then start expanding again.

2. How does an oscillating model of the Universe relate to entropy?

Entropy is a measure of disorder or randomness in a system. In an oscillating model of the Universe, each cycle of expansion and contraction results in an increase in entropy. This means that with each cycle, the Universe becomes more disordered and chaotic.

3. What evidence supports the idea of an oscillating model of the Universe?

Currently, there is no strong evidence that supports the idea of an oscillating model of the Universe. However, some scientists believe that the cycles of expansion and contraction could explain the observed uniformity of the Universe's structure and the presence of dark matter.

4. How does the concept of entropy apply to the Universe as a whole?

The concept of entropy applies to the Universe as a whole because the Universe is a closed system, meaning that no energy or matter can enter or leave. As the Universe undergoes cycles of expansion and contraction, the overall entropy of the Universe increases.

5. Are there any alternative theories to the oscillating model of the Universe?

Yes, there are alternative theories to the oscillating model of the Universe, such as the Big Crunch theory which suggests that the Universe will eventually collapse in on itself and end in a singularity. Other theories propose a steady-state Universe or a one-time expansion with no subsequent contraction.