About the existence and uniqueness of electrical network solutions

In summary, Z and Y matrices in the equation V=E + ZI and I=J + YV are different when there are no independent current or voltage sources in the network.
cianfa72
TL;DR Summary
About the existence and uniqueness of network solutions as explained in the book Applied Graph Theory W.K. Chen
Hi,
I've a question about a proof found in the book Applied Graph Theory from Wai-Kai Chen. My point is that basis circuit matrix B and basis cut matrix Q employed in the proof actually refer to two different networks.

B should be the basic circuit matrix of the initial network with current sources removed (opened) while Q should be the basis cut matrix of the initial network with voltage sources shorted.

Since B and Q refer actually to different networks to me it does not make sense the following part of the proof to show that the solution is unique.

Capture.JPG

Can you help me ? Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
cianfa72 said:
Since B and Q refer actually to different networks

[itex]B^*[/itex] and [itex]Q^*[/itex] relate to the same network, [itex]G^*[/itex], as stated in the first line of the proof. The definitions of [itex]B[/itex] and [itex]Q[/itex] are not given in this extract - presumably they are defined earlier in the text - but the notation strongly suggests that [itex]B[/itex] and [itex]Q[/itex] both relate to the single network [itex]G[/itex].

Likes Fisherman199
pasmith said:
but the notation strongly suggests that [itex]B[/itex] and [itex]Q[/itex] both relate to the single network [itex]G[/itex].
The point I was trying to make is that from earlier in the book [itex]Z[/itex] hence [itex]BZB'[/itex] should be defined only for networks with no indipendent current sources while [itex]Y[/itex] hence [itex]QYQ'[/itex] only for networks with no indipendent voltage sources. So it seems network [itex]G[/itex] is actually two different networks.

Last edited:
cianfa72 said:
The point I was trying to make is that from earlier in the book [itex]Z[/itex] hence [itex]BZB'[/itex] should be defined only for networks with no indipendent current sources while [itex]Y[/itex] hence [itex]QYQ'[/itex] only for networks with no indipendent voltage sources. So it seems network [itex]G[/itex] is actually two different networks.
Are you sure? That doesn't sound right to me. The difference should only be whether you choose to use impedance or admittance matrices. Anyway, how can we comment about text we can't see?

DaveE said:
The difference should only be whether you choose to use impedance or admittance matrices.
In the book branch-impedance matrix [itex]Z[/itex] enters in the equation [itex]V=E + ZI[/itex] while branch-admittance [itex]Y[/itex] in the equation [itex]I=J + YV[/itex].

Capture.JPG

The text insists that for loop system of equations there are no independent current sources while for cut system of equations there are no independent voltage sources:

Capture-1.JPG

So I believe the subscript s in the partitioning of [itex]Z[/itex] and [itex]Y[/itex] matrices actually reflects, respectively, one type of source only (voltage sources for [itex]Z[/itex] and current sources for [itex]Y[/itex]).

Last edited:

What is an electrical network?

An electrical network is a system of interconnected electrical elements, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, that are used to transmit and distribute electrical energy.

What is the importance of studying electrical network solutions?

Studying electrical network solutions is important because it allows us to understand and analyze the behavior of electrical systems, which is crucial for designing and maintaining efficient and reliable electrical networks.

What is the existence and uniqueness of electrical network solutions?

The existence and uniqueness of electrical network solutions refers to the fact that for a given set of electrical elements and boundary conditions, there is only one solution for the voltages and currents in the network that satisfies the laws of physics and circuit analysis.

How do we determine the existence and uniqueness of electrical network solutions?

The existence and uniqueness of electrical network solutions can be determined using mathematical techniques such as Kirchhoff's laws, Ohm's law, and nodal analysis. These methods allow us to solve for the unknown voltages and currents in the network and verify the existence and uniqueness of the solution.

What are some factors that can affect the existence and uniqueness of electrical network solutions?

The existence and uniqueness of electrical network solutions can be affected by factors such as the type and arrangement of electrical elements in the network, the boundary conditions, and the presence of non-linear elements. In some cases, the existence and uniqueness of solutions may not be guaranteed, and further analysis or modifications to the network may be necessary.