If all edge weights are distinct, then the MST is unique

• Comp Sci
  • Thread starter CGandC
  • Start date
In summary, the theorem states that if there are multiple MSTs with the same weight for each edge, then the edges of the MSTs must be the same.
CGandC
Homework Statement
This is not a homework question, I thought about it myself and was wondering if the uniqueness of an MST is defined in terms of edge uniqueness or weight uniqueness
Relevant Equations
- Assume graph is connected and undirected with weight function w: E ->R
- MST = minimum spanning tree
I was having trouble understanding what "uniqueness" means when we talk about MSTs, here's the theorem and its proof:

1685611498130.png

( Source: Jeff Erickson, Algorithms. https://jeffe.cs.illinois.edu/teaching/algorithms/book/07-mst.pdf )

I don't fully understand what "unique" stands for when talking about MSTs. I thought it meant that all the edges of the different MSTs must be the same, not only the weights.

To clarify:
I know that the multiset of weights of all MSTs of a graph must be equal, so if there's an MST with all weights unique then it must be so in every other MST; the question is - are the edges also unique?
If the answer's 'yes' , then how do we conclude from the proof above that the edges must be equal in ## T_1 ## and ## T_2 ##?
If the answer's 'no', then what is a necessary and sufficient condition for all the edges of MSTs to be equal? ( i.e. the MSTs to be unique in terms of the edges themselves )

From the proof above it seems uniqueness is defined in terms of weight of edges, but it feels to me a little bit odd, hence I'm asking the question to have a second opinion on this.

Thanks in advance for any kind of help!

Attachments

• 1685611384621.png
    1685611384621.png
    44.4 KB · Views: 95
Physics news on Phys.org
The weights are defined by the graph, not by the spanning tree, so it does not make sense to talk about the weights of the spanning trees being different.
Furthermore, the second paragraph of the proof states "Each of our spanning trees must contain an edge that the other tree omits." This confirms that an edge difference is required for two spanning trees to be different.

FactChecker said:
The weights are defined by the graph, not by the spanning tree, so it does not make sense to talk about the weights of the spanning trees being different.

Agreed, it's known that the multiset of edge weights of every MST are the same, hence if all the weights of one MST are unique, so are for the other MST.

FactChecker said:
Furthermore, the second paragraph of the proof states "Each of our spanning trees must contain an edge that the other tree omits." This confirms that an edge difference is required for two spanning trees to be different.

That's correct, if we'll assume otherwise we'll have that all edges in ## T ## and ## T' ## are the same, hence ## T = T' ## which is a contradiction to the assumption that ## T \neq T' ##
But I don't understand where's the contradiction in the above proof if we consider the only case left which is "Each of our spanning trees must contain an edge that the other tree omits."

It seems to me the proof above only showed that if we have two different msts where the edge weights are unique, then we can swap an edge from both trees that have the same weight; where's the contradiction here to the assumption that ## T \neq T' ##?

CGandC said:
But I don't understand where's the contradiction in the above proof if we consider the only case left which is "Each of our spanning trees must contain an edge that the other tree omits."
This must lead to a contradiction, therefore proving that there is no edge in one that is not in the other.
At the end of the proof, it says "##w(e)=w(e'')##". But ##e \ne e''## and the weights are all distinct, so that is a contradiction. The MSTs must be identical.

Likes CGandC
FactChecker said:
This must lead to a contradiction, therefore proving that there is no edge in one that is not in the other.
At the end of the proof, it says "##w(e)=w(e'')##". But ##e \ne e''## and the weights are all distinct, so that is a contradiction. The MSTs must be identical.
Thanks for putting the time and helping me. I overthought about it and after taking a break and coming back to the proof I understand it.

Likes FactChecker

1. What is an MST?

An MST, or minimum spanning tree, is a tree that connects all the vertices in a graph with the minimum possible total weight of edges.

2. What does it mean for edge weights to be distinct?

Distinct edge weights means that each edge in the graph has a unique weight, or value. This ensures that there are no ties when determining the minimum spanning tree.

3. Why is the MST unique if all edge weights are distinct?

If all edge weights are distinct, then there can only be one minimum weight edge connecting any two vertices. This means that there can only be one possible combination of edges that will result in the minimum total weight, making the MST unique.

4. What happens if there are ties in edge weights?

If there are ties in edge weights, then there can be multiple combinations of edges that result in the same minimum total weight. This means that there can be multiple MSTs for the same graph, and the MST is not unique.

5. How is the MST determined if all edge weights are distinct?

The MST can be determined using algorithms such as Kruskal's or Prim's algorithm, which find the minimum weight edges that connect all the vertices in the graph. These algorithms will always result in the same unique MST if all edge weights are distinct.