About uniform electric field between parallel plates

In summary, the electric field between parallel plates is independent of distance for ideal infinitely long parallel plates. This can be derived using Gauss' law and can be used as an approximation for smaller plates. However, if the plates are insulated and the potential difference is maintained, the electric field will remain constant even as the distance between the plates increases. This is because the voltage will change to compensate for the change in capacitance.
curiosity colour
I have learned that the electric field between parallel plates are independent of distance
since E=V/d
so if I increase the distance between parallel plates, the E will decrease, right?
if I am right on the previous statement, then why does the electric field are independent of distance?

Physics news on Phys.org
curiosity colour said:
I have learned that the electric field between parallel plates are independent of distance

Are you sure that isn't for ideal infinitely long parallel plates?

Drakkith said:

You are right. This is only for such plates and can be derived using Gauss' law. If we neglect rand effects, we can still use it as an approximation for smaller plates, though.

Drakkith said:
The textbook just wrote parallel plates, didn't said anything about ideal infinitely long parallel plates
So only if parallel plates are infinitely long, the electric field between parallel plates are independent of distance ? Still though, why is that?

curiosity colour said:
The textbook just wrote parallel plates, didn't said anything about ideal infinitely long parallel plates
So only if parallel plates are infinitely long, the electric field between parallel plates are independent of distance ? Still though, why is that?

Do you know Gauss' law? (one of the maxwell equations, ##\iint_S \vec E . \vec{dA} = \frac{Q_{enc}}{\epsilon_0}## where we integrate over a closed surface ##S##)

Math_QED said:
Do you know Gauss' law? (one of the maxwell equations, ##\iint_S \vec E . \vec{dA} = \frac{Q_{enc}}{\epsilon_0}## where we integrate over a closed surface ##S##)
Yeah, I know about Gauss's law

curiosity colour said:
since E=V/d
so if I increase the distance between parallel plates, the E will decrease, right?
if I am right on the previous statement, then why does the electric field are independent of distance?
If the plates are insulated, the Potential difference will change as you separate them so the V in "E=V/d" will change. (The Capacitance C will change and V=Q/C applies)
If you connect a source of PD to the plates, to maintain V then E=V/d will apply. So there is no contradiction.

curiosity colour said:
since E=V/d
The E field is independent of the distance, but the voltage is not. The E field is the gradient of the voltage, so if you have the same E field over a larger distance then you have a greater voltage.

Likes sophiecentaur

1. What is a uniform electric field?

A uniform electric field is a type of electric field that has the same strength and direction at all points in the field. This means that the electric field lines are evenly spaced and parallel to each other.

2. How is a uniform electric field created between parallel plates?

A uniform electric field between parallel plates is created by placing two parallel plates with opposite charges close to each other. The positive charges on one plate will attract the negative charges on the other plate, creating a uniform electric field between them.

3. What is the direction of the electric field between parallel plates?

The direction of the electric field between parallel plates is from the positive plate to the negative plate. This means that the electric field lines will point from the positive plate towards the negative plate.

4. How does the distance between the parallel plates affect the strength of the electric field?

The strength of the electric field between parallel plates is directly proportional to the distance between the plates. This means that the electric field will be stronger if the plates are closer together and weaker if they are farther apart.

5. What is the formula for calculating the strength of a uniform electric field between parallel plates?

The strength of a uniform electric field between parallel plates can be calculated using the formula E = V/d, where E is the electric field strength, V is the potential difference between the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.