Absolute Convergence, Conditional Convergence or divergence

I did this before we did the integral test. We just did the comparison test tonight but I don't know where that would be useful as it seems like it involves finding a different, easier series to compare it to and that is what I was trying to do with the absolute value bars to simplify the ratio. I guess in this case a better series is the geometric series with a = 1 and r = 1/2. I guess I could have seen that without the comparison test. But what I did get out of the comparison test was that it is easier to check for absolute convergence because the other series is easier and it is also easier to get the value of the series which I did using a TI-89. Then I wrote a
Asphyxiated
Absolute Convergence, Conditional Convergence or divergence...

Homework Statement

[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac {(-2)^{n}}{n^{n}} [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} | \frac {a_{n+1}}{a_n}| < 1 \;\; absolute\; convergence [/tex]

[tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} | \frac {a_{n+1}}{a_n}| > 1 \;\; divergence [/tex]

[tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} | \frac {a_{n+1}}{a_n}| = 1 \;\; inconclusive [/tex]

Other tests may be used such as AST but this section is about using the ratio test and we are suppose to use that unless it is inconclusive.

The Attempt at a Solution

First I changed the sum by factoring out the alternating part of it, so maybe I went wrong there:

[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac {(-2)^{n}}{n^{n}} = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac {(-1)^{n}(2)^{n}}{n^{n}}[/tex]

So if that's right then here is what I did to set up the ratio test:

[tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} | \frac {(-1)^{n+1}(2)^{n+1}}{(n+1)^{n+1}}* \frac {n^{n}}{(-1)^{n}(2)^{n}}| [/tex]

[tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} | \frac {(-1)(2)(n^{n})}{(n+1)^{n+1}}| [/tex]

At this point I drop the (-1) due to the absolute value bars, the denominator can be written as (n+1)^n(n+1) due to the exponent but I don't know where to go from here:

[tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} | \frac {2n^{n}}{(n+1)^{n}(n+1)}| [/tex]

This is evidently equal to zero if I type it into my TI-89 which makes it absolutely convergent but I can't see how to get there algebraically. If I try to use L'Hopital's rule in the numerator I will get n^n (ln(n+1)) for as many time as I feel like taking the derivative. And if I type the fraction into maple and tell it to simply I simply get the same function back again.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

Asphyxiated said:

Homework Statement

[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac {(-2)^{n}}{n^{n}} [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} | \frac {a_{n+1}}{a_n}| < 1 \;\; absolute\; convergence [/tex]

[tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} | \frac {a_{n+1}}{a_n}| > 1 \;\; divergence [/tex]

[tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} | \frac {a_{n+1}}{a_n}| = 1 \;\; inconclusive [/tex]

Other tests may be used such as AST but this section is about using the ratio test and we are suppose to use that unless it is inconclusive.

The Attempt at a Solution

First I changed the sum by factoring out the alternating part of it, so maybe I went wrong there:

[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac {(-2)^{n}}{n^{n}} = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac {(-1)^{n}(2)^{n}}{n^{n}}[/tex]

So if that's right then here is what I did to set up the ratio test:

[tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} | \frac {(-1)^{n+1}(2)^{n+1}}{(n+1)^{n+1}}* \frac {n^{n}}{(-1)^{n}(2)^{n}}| [/tex]

[tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} | \frac {(-1)(2)(n^{n})}{(n+1)^{n+1}}| [/tex]

At this point I drop the (-1) due to the absolute value bars, the denominator can be written as (n+1)^n(n+1) due to the exponent but I don't know where to go from here:

[tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} | \frac {2n^{n}}{(n+1)^{n}(n+1)}| [/tex]

This is evidently equal to zero if I type it into my TI-89 which makes it absolutely convergent but I can't see how to get there algebraically. If I try to use L'Hopital's rule in the numerator I will get n^n (ln(n+1)) for as many time as I feel like taking the derivative. And if I type the fraction into maple and tell it to simply I simply get the same function back again.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Try writing it as

[tex]2\left( \frac n {n+1}\right)^n\cdot \frac 1 {n+1}[/tex]

and observe that n/(n+1) < 1.

Hey thanks man! I need to get better and writing these expressions in many not-immediately-obvious ways.

Comparison test works well here: [tex] \frac{ 2^n}{n^n} = \left( \frac{2}{n} \right)^n \leq \left( \frac{2}{4} \right)^n [/tex] for [tex] n \geq 4 [/tex]

Hey Gib Z:

I didn't use that because we skipped it in my class. I know nothing of the comparison test.

Related to Absolute Convergence, Conditional Convergence or divergence

What is absolute convergence?

Absolute convergence is a type of convergence in a series where the sum of the absolute values of the terms in the series is finite. In other words, the series converges even when the signs of the terms are changed.

What is conditional convergence?

Conditional convergence is a type of convergence in a series where the sum of the terms in the series is finite, but changing the signs of the terms can cause the series to diverge. In other words, the series only converges under certain conditions.

What is divergence?

Divergence is a type of non-convergence in a series where the terms in the series do not approach a finite value as the number of terms increases. This can happen either due to the terms increasing without bound or alternating between positive and negative values without ever reaching a fixed value.

How can I determine if a series is absolutely or conditionally convergent?

To determine if a series is absolutely or conditionally convergent, you can use the ratio test or the root test. If the limit of the absolute value of the terms is less than 1, the series is absolutely convergent. If the limit is equal to 1, the series may be conditionally convergent and further tests may be needed to determine convergence. If the limit is greater than 1, the series is divergent.

What is the significance of absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute and conditional convergence are important concepts in mathematics and science, particularly in the study of series and sequences. Understanding whether a series is absolutely or conditionally convergent can help determine the behavior of the series and its applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.