Abstract algebra: monic gcd of polynomials in a subfield problem

In summary, we are given fields K and L, with f and g being elements of K[x] and h being a gcd of f and g in L[x]. We are trying to show that if h is monic, then it is also in K[x]. We know that h can be expressed as a linear combination of f and g in K[x] and that the ideal generated by h, (h), is equal to the ideal (f,g) in L[x]. Since K[x] is a principal ideal domain, we can find a gcd of f and g in K[x] which is also equal to (f,g). The monic assumption is useful in proving the uniqueness of the gcd, as it guarantees that r*h
rachellcb

Homework Statement

Let [itex]K \subseteq L[/itex] be fields. Let [itex]f[/itex], [itex]g \in K[x][/itex] and [itex]h[/itex] a gcd of [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex] in [itex]L[x][/itex].

To show: if [itex]h[/itex] is monic then [itex]h \in K[x][/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume [itex]h[/itex] is monic.

Know that: [itex]h = xf + yg[/itex] for some [itex]x[/itex], [itex]y \in K[x][/itex].
So the ideal generated by [itex]h[/itex], [itex](h)[/itex] in [itex]L[x][/itex] equals the ideal [itex](f,g)[/itex] in [itex]L[x][/itex]. Also, since [itex]K[x][/itex] is a principal ideal domain, [itex](f,g)=(d)[/itex] in [itex]K[x][/itex] for some [itex]d \in K[x][/itex], so [itex]d = af + bg[/itex] for some [itex]a[/itex], [itex]b \in K[x][/itex]. So [itex]d[/itex] is a gcd of [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex] in [itex]K[x][/itex].

Now I'm not sure where to go... I know that [itex]h[/itex] is monic and therefore the unique monic gcd of [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex] in [itex]L[x][/itex], but not sure how this is useful. Do I need to show that [itex]h = d [/itex]? How can I use the monic assumption to show this?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, well, you the monic assumption is usually used to prove the uniqueness of the gcd. In this case, I'd say the monic assumption is useful since if you do not define the gcd to be monic, then [itex]h \left( x \right)[/itex] a gcd of [itex]f \left( x \right)[/itex] and [itex]g \left( x \right)[/itex] means that [itex]r h \left( x \right)[/itex] where [itex]r \neq 0 \in L[/itex] is also a greatest common divisor of [itex]f \left( x \right)[/itex] and [itex]g \left( x\right)[/itex]. Well, if you let [itex]h \left( x \right)[/itex] be monic and [itex]r \in L[/itex] but [itex]r \not \in K[/itex], then it is easy to see the [itex]r h \left( x \right) \not \in K \left[ x \right][/itex].

I believe you could let [itex]d \left( x \right)[/itex] be monic as well and you'd want to show that [itex]d \left( x \right) = h \left( x \right)[/itex].

I will premise this by saying that I'm not sure if this is the easiest way to do this problem, but suppose that [itex]h \left( x \right)[/itex] and [itex]d \left( x \right)[/itex] are the unique monic gcd of [itex]f \left( x \right)[/itex] and [itex]g \left( x \right)[/itex] in [itex]L \left[ x \right][/itex] and [itex]K \left[ x \right][/itex] respectively. Well, then it can be seen that [itex]d \left( x \right)[/itex] is at least still a common divisor of [itex]f \left( x \right)[/itex] and [itex]g \left( x \right)[/itex] in [itex]L \left[ x \right][/itex], and [itex]d \left( x \right) = p \left( x \right) f \left( x \right) + q \left( x \right) g \left( x \right)[/itex] where [itex]p \left( x \right), q \left( x \right) \in K \left[ x \right] \subset L \left[ x \right][/itex]. Can you use this and the fact that [itex]h \left( x \right)[/itex] and [itex] d \left( x \right)[/itex] both monic to show that [itex]h \left(x \right) = d \left( x \right)[/itex]?

Thanks! I think I can,... does it involve using the fact that a gcd of f and g is the smallest degree polynomial that can be written as a linear combination of f and g, and that d, being a common factor of f and g in L[x], must divide h?

Yea, pretty much. I also believe you may have seen somewhere that a gcd is the only common divisor which can be written as a linear combination. And the monic condition means it is the unique monic gcd.

Then you've just shown that making the field bigger doesn't change the gcd.

What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures such as groups, rings, and fields. It focuses on the properties and relationships between these structures and their operations.

What is a monic polynomial?

A monic polynomial is a polynomial in which the coefficient of the highest degree term is equal to 1. For example, x^3 + 2x^2 + x + 5 is a monic polynomial because the coefficient of the highest degree term, x^3, is 1.

What is a gcd (greatest common divisor)?

A gcd of two or more polynomials is the polynomial of highest degree that divides each of the given polynomials without leaving a remainder. In other words, it is the largest polynomial that is a common factor of the given polynomials.

What is a subfield?

A subfield is a subset of a larger field that still satisfies the axioms and operations of a field. In other words, it is a smaller field within a larger field.

How do you find the monic gcd of polynomials in a subfield?

To find the monic gcd of polynomials in a subfield, you can use the Euclidean algorithm, which involves dividing the polynomials and finding the remainder until the remainder is 0. The last non-zero remainder is the gcd. Alternatively, you can factor the polynomials and find the common factors, then multiply them by the highest common factor to get the monic gcd.