Abstract algebra question chapter 1.2

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that if 2 does not divide a, then 24 divides a^2-1. The discussion involves using the fact that odd numbers can be written in the form of 8k+1, and that the square of any integer can be written as 3k, 3k+1, or 3k+2. It is suggested that since 8 and 3 are both in this form, their product, 24, will also be in this form. However, it is later clarified that this is not necessarily true. The conversation then concludes that if both 3 and 8 divide a^2-1, then 24 must also divide a^2-
blairebear

Homework Statement

prove that if 2 does not divide a then 24 divides a^2-1

Homework Equations

I know that if 2 does not divide a then a is odd.

I proved that the square for all odd integers are of the form 8K+1

I also proved the square of any integer is either in the form 3k, 3k+1 or 3k+2. I know 3k and 3k+2 are even so the odd are in the form 3k+1

The Attempt at a Solution

Can I simply say that because both 8 and 3 are in this form then 8*3 is in this form?

Physics news on Phys.org
That is not what I mean to say. based on before I know that 8 divides a^2-1 and 3 divides a^2-1. Can I then say that since both 3 and 8 divide a^2-1 then 24 divides a^2-1

Ok, I just realized that 3k and 3k+2 are not necessarily even and 3k+1 is not necessarily odd. So now I am even more confused

OK, I am going to say this is not true. When a=3 then a^2 is in the form 3k. so I have disproved it I think.
However the next part says if 2 or 3 do not divide a. That eliminates every third number. I also read my proof wrong and it is either 3k or 3k+1 not 3k+2 so eliminating all the times when 3 divides a will leave me the other two options and for each of those a^2 is in the form 3k+1. OK, I need to write it up but I think I got it.

blairebear said:
Can I then say that since both 3 and 8 divide a^2-1 then 24 divides a^2-1
If this hypothesis is true, then this conclusion is true, by the Chinese Remainder Theorem.

Or, since 3 and 8 have no prime factors in common, yes, any number that is divisible by both 3 and 8 is divisible by 3(8)= 24.

Related to Abstract algebra question chapter 1.2

1. What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures such as groups, rings, and fields. It focuses on the fundamental properties and patterns of these structures and their relationships with each other.

2. What topics are covered in chapter 1.2 of abstract algebra?

In chapter 1.2 of abstract algebra, you can expect to learn about the basic properties of groups, including closure, associativity, identity elements, and inverses. You will also explore examples of groups and how to prove that a structure is a group using the group axioms.

3. How is abstract algebra relevant to real-world applications?

Abstract algebra has many applications in various fields such as computer science, physics, chemistry, and engineering. For example, group theory is used in cryptography to secure data transmission, and ring theory is used in coding theory to correct errors in data transmission. Abstract algebra also has applications in computer graphics, robotics, and quantum mechanics.

4. What are some common misconceptions about abstract algebra?

One common misconception about abstract algebra is that it is only applicable to pure mathematics and has no real-world applications. Another misconception is that abstract algebra is only useful for solving complex equations, when in fact it is more focused on the properties and structures of mathematical systems.

5. What are some tips for understanding abstract algebra?

To understand abstract algebra, it is important to have a strong foundation in basic algebra and mathematical reasoning. It is also helpful to work through examples and practice problems to develop a better understanding of the concepts. Additionally, visual aids such as diagrams and graphs can aid in understanding abstract algebra concepts. Lastly, seeking the help of a tutor or attending study groups can also be beneficial in understanding abstract algebra.