Cryptography problem involving prime numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation x^2 = -1 (mod p) where p = 3 (mod 4). It is shown that when we raise both sides to the power (p-1)/2, we get x^(p-1) = -1 (mod p). The possible values of p are calculated and it is concluded that there are no solutions since the solutions are not integers, which are undefined for the modulo operation. The use of Fermat's Little Theorem is suggested and it is shown that by substituting x^{p-1} \equiv 1 \mod p, it can be concluded that the equation has no solutions.
docnet
Gold Member
Homework Statement
I'm having trouble solving this problem. any help would be appreciated.
Relevant Equations
p = 3(mod4)
x^2 = -1(modp)
Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 7.04.39 PM.png

Here is my attempt

When we raise both sides to the power (p-1)/2, we get
x^(p-1)= -1^[(p-1)/2](modp)

Looking at p=3(mod4), the possible values of p are
{3, 7, 11, 19, 23, 31...}.

Putting these values of p into (p-1)/2 we get odd integers.
{1, 3, 5, 9, 11, 15...}.

So we have
x^(p-1) = -1(modp)

We let p = 3 then we have
(x)^2 = -1(mod3)

which is equivalent to
x^2=3k -1

With the solutions
x= {sqrt(2), sqrt(5), sqrt(8), ...}

The solutions are not integers, which are undefined for the modulo operation. therefore x^2=-1(modp) have no solutions.

This is the wrong answer. I don't know

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't seem like you've tried using Fermat's little theorem yet.

Im struggling to see how to incorporate the information from FLT into the problem.
image.jpg

Can a moderator move this thread into the right subforum? Sorry, I should have posted this in the “calculus and beyond.“ section. Thanks

docnet said:
Homework Statement:: I'm having trouble solving this problem. any help would be appreciated.
Relevant Equations:: p = 3(mod4)
x^2 = -1(modp)

View attachment 269850

Here is my attempt

When we raise both sides to the power (p-1)/2, we get
x^(p-1)= -1^[(p-1)/2](modp)

Looking at p=3(mod4), the possible values of p are
{3, 7, 11, 19, 23, 31...}.

Putting these values of p into (p-1)/2 we get odd integers.
{1, 3, 5, 9, 11, 15...}.

So we have
x^(p-1) = -1(modp)

It would have been better to get here by setting [itex]p = 4k + 3[/itex] so that [tex]
\frac{p - 1}{2} = \frac{4k + 2}{2} = 2k + 1[/tex] and hence [itex](-1)^{(p-1)/2} = -1[/itex].

Likes docnet
docnet said:
Im struggling to see how to incorporate the information from FLT into the problem.
View attachment 269890

You just need to substitute [itex]x^{p-1} \equiv 1 \mod p[/itex] in [tex]
x^{p-1} = -1 \mod p[/tex] and draw the appropriate conclusion.

Likes docnet

1. What is cryptography?

Cryptography is the practice and study of techniques for secure communication in the presence of third parties. It involves creating and analyzing protocols that prevent unauthorized parties from accessing or modifying sensitive information.

2. How are prime numbers used in cryptography?

Prime numbers are used in cryptography to create strong and secure encryption keys. They are also used in algorithms such as the RSA algorithm, which is commonly used in public key cryptography.

3. Why are prime numbers important in cryptography?

Prime numbers are important in cryptography because they are the building blocks of secure encryption. They have unique properties that make them difficult to factor, making them ideal for creating strong encryption keys.

4. How are prime numbers generated for cryptography?

Prime numbers are generated using mathematical algorithms that are designed to find large, random prime numbers. These algorithms are constantly being improved to ensure that the prime numbers used in cryptography are as secure as possible.

5. Can prime numbers be broken in cryptography?

It is currently believed that prime numbers cannot be broken in cryptography, as there is no known efficient algorithm for factoring large prime numbers. However, with advancements in technology and computing power, it is important for cryptographers to constantly update and improve their algorithms to stay ahead of potential threats.