AC circuit power formula question

In summary, an L-R-C series circuit is connected to a 120 Hz ac source that has Vrms = 80.0 V. The circuit has a resistance of 75.0 Ω and an impedance at this frequency of 105 Ω. What average power is delivered to the circuit by the source?
bluesteels
Homework Statement
An L-R-C series circuit is connected to a 120 Hz ac source
that has Vrms = 80.0 V. The circuit has a resistance of 75.0 Ω and an
impedance at this frequency of 105 Ω. What average power is delivered
to the circuit by the source?
Relevant Equations
P=I^2R
P= Irms * Vrms * Power factor
Power factor = R/Z
im kinda confused on why can't you just use the formula P=I^2R.

Can you just use Vrms or Vamp (not sure which one is it) and the value of R which is 105Ω to solve for I

Then just plug it in the formula P=I^2R. But when i did that it the wrong answer so is this formula don't work for AC circuit or am i missing something. The answer for the question is 43.5 W btw

Physics news on Phys.org
bluesteels said:
Homework Statement:: An L-R-C series circuit is connected to a 120 Hz ac source
that has Vrms = 80.0 V. The circuit has a resistance of 75.0 Ω and an
impedance at this frequency of 105 Ω. What average power is delivered
to the circuit by the source?
Relevant Equations:: P=I^2R
P= Irms * Vrms * Power factor
Power factor = R/Z

im kinda confused on why can't you just use the formula P=I^2R.
I think you just did it wrong, try again. Your words are good. I don't know what's wrong with your numbers.

But, a couple of ancillary comments:
1) I have no idea what Vamp means. That's OK, you do, plus probably the people in your community too. Most EEs would be left wondering what you're talking about. In my world the standard terms for voltages are Vdc = Vave, Vrms, Vac (which is Vrms plus the assumption the waveforms are sinusoidal), Vpk (the peak voltage of any waveform), and then just the generic V, which is confusing unless you know the context. All of these are different from v(t) because they represent scalar measurements, not a waveform or an instantaneous value.

2) I'm always a bit confused about what people mean when they talk about resistance and impedance in the same context. Some (electricians, mostly) think impedance refers to only the imaginary or reactive component. Which (according to me) is wrong, that would be reactance. Impedance means the real (resistive) plus the imaginary (reactive) portions. In this case they did it correctly, they mean |Z| = 105Ω and Re(Z)=75Ω.

3) I'd leave power factor out of this. It's kind of out of context this time.

Ask again if you're still confused. Show your work so we can see what's wrong.

This is rather simple but I think you are ... overthinking it. I ll just remind you the "easy" equation $$I_{rms}=\frac{V_{rms}}{Z}$$ and I think you can figure out the rest.

Also the value of R is 75 Ohm, the value of Z is 105 Ohm.

Likes bluesteels

1. What is the formula for calculating AC circuit power?

The formula for calculating AC circuit power is P = Vrms x Irms x cos(θ), where P is power in watts, Vrms is the root mean square voltage, Irms is the root mean square current, and θ is the phase angle between voltage and current.

2. How do I determine the phase angle in the AC circuit power formula?

The phase angle can be determined using a phase angle meter or by measuring the time difference between the voltage and current waveforms using an oscilloscope.

3. Can the AC circuit power formula be used for both single-phase and three-phase circuits?

Yes, the AC circuit power formula can be used for both single-phase and three-phase circuits, as long as the voltage and current values are root mean square values.

4. What is the significance of the power factor in the AC circuit power formula?

The power factor, represented by cos(θ), indicates the efficiency of the circuit. A power factor of 1 (or cos(θ) = 1) means the circuit is 100% efficient, while a lower power factor indicates some energy is being lost in the circuit.

5. How does the AC circuit power formula differ from the DC circuit power formula?

The AC circuit power formula includes the power factor, cos(θ), to account for the phase difference between voltage and current in an AC circuit. In a DC circuit, the power formula is simply P = V x I, where V is voltage and I is current.