Accelerated expansion of the universe

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of multiple big bangs occurring at different points in space and time resulting in parallel universes, and the idea that the observed accelerated expansion of our universe could be due to the gravitational effects of neighboring universes. However, this is just speculation and cannot be confirmed without evidence and further study. The big bang is believed to have happened everywhere at once, not at a single point in space-time.
dayalanand roy
If a big bang could occur at a point in space-time, couldn't we at least speculate that many big bangs could have occurred at many other points in space time, and could have resulted in many parrelel universes evolving far away or in close neighborhood of our own one?
And then, could it not be possible that the observed accelerated expansion of our universe could be due to the gravitational effects of our neighborhood universes?

Space news on Phys.org
dayalanand roy said:
If a big bang could occur at a point in space-time, couldn't we at least speculate that many big bangs could have occurred at many other points in space time,

You cant, because in big bang model the universe didn't started from a point in space-time. Space time created by big bang itself.

Last edited:
You can speculate. But physics is more than mere speculation.

If something has a gravitational effect on a galaxy in our universe then, by definition, that something is part of our universe.

dayalanand roy said:
And then, could it not be possible that the observed accelerated expansion of our universe could be due to the gravitational effects of our neighborhood universes?
Lots of things could be possible. It could be possible that the universe is just a simulation, but I can't say that without having reason and/or any academic experience backing that.

You have to think about the consequences of a theory, the reason for accepting the theory, and how to confirm the theory, before we can accept theories. Otherwise it is simply speculation and cannot be given an educated answer.
Arman777 said:
In that case I think we should have been observed faster acceleration in one particular direction due to the presence of the another universe.
Like here. I can speculate that there would actually be an infinite number of universes pulling in every direction. But of course, this would be futile, since it is merely speculation. Science fiction.

dayalanand roy said:
If a big bang could occur at a point in space-time,

If we roll the clock back in our LCDM model (our current standard cosmological model), we will observe that the density of the universe increases everywhere, eventually reaching infinity everywhere at the same time, before we ever get to a single point in spacetime. In other words, the big bang happened everywhere all at once, not at a single location.

Arman777 said:
You cant, because in big bang model the universe didn't started from a point in space-time. Space time created by big bang itself.
Thanks

PeroK said:
You can speculate. But physics is more than mere speculation.

If something has a gravitational effect on a galaxy in our universe then, by definition, that something is part of our universe.
Thanks

lekh2003 said:
Lots of things could be possible. It could be possible that the universe is just a simulation, but I can't say that without having reason and/or any academic experience backing that.

You have to think about the consequences of a theory, the reason for accepting the theory, and how to confirm the theory, before we can accept theories. Otherwise it is simply speculation and cannot be given an educated answer.

Like here. I can speculate that there would actually be an infinite number of universes pulling in every direction. But of course, this would be futile, since it is merely speculation. Science fiction.

Thanks. It was a simple speculation only as i mentioned in the post. I cannot propose a theory as I am not a physics student. And to learn about the consequences of this speculation, I just posted it here.

Drakkith said:
If we roll the clock back in our LCDM model (our current standard cosmological model), we will observe that the density of the universe increases everywhere, eventually reaching infinity everywhere at the same time, before we ever get to a single point in spacetime. In other words, the big bang happened everywhere all at once, not at a single location.

Thanks. But this is a very tough answer and I shall take much time to understand it.

Thread closed for moderation.

Edit: Some off topic posts have been deleted. The OP question has been addressed and the thread will remain closed.

1. What is the accelerated expansion of the universe?

The accelerated expansion of the universe refers to the phenomenon in which the rate of expansion of the universe is increasing over time. This was first discovered through observations of distant supernovae in the late 1990s.

2. What is causing the accelerated expansion of the universe?

The exact cause of the accelerated expansion of the universe is still a topic of ongoing research and debate. One theory is that it is caused by a mysterious force called dark energy, which makes up about 70% of the universe. Another theory is that our current understanding of gravity is incomplete and needs to be modified to explain the accelerated expansion.

3. How do scientists measure the accelerated expansion of the universe?

Scientists measure the accelerated expansion of the universe through observations of distant galaxies and their redshift. Redshift is a phenomenon in which the light from a distant object appears to shift towards the red end of the spectrum, indicating that the object is moving away from us. By measuring the amount of redshift in different galaxies, scientists can determine the rate at which the universe is expanding and if it is accelerating.

4. Will the accelerated expansion of the universe continue forever?

Based on current observations and models, it is believed that the accelerated expansion of the universe will continue indefinitely. This means that the universe will continue to expand and the galaxies will continue to move away from each other at an increasing rate. However, new discoveries and theories may change our understanding of the future of the universe.

5. What are the implications of the accelerated expansion of the universe?

The accelerated expansion of the universe has several implications for our understanding of the universe and its future. It suggests that the universe is not only expanding, but also accelerating, which challenges our previous understanding of the laws of physics. It also means that the universe will continue to expand and become more and more spread out, potentially leading to a "heat death" where all matter and energy is evenly distributed and no more work can be done. Understanding the accelerated expansion is crucial for predicting the fate of the universe.