Accelerating an electron from speed u1 to u2

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the time for an electron to accelerate in a uniform electric field from u1 to u2. The textbook provides an equation for calculating time by integrating a certain function. The question is raised about the left-hand side of the equation and what it is integrating with respect to. It is clarified that the left-hand side loses its time derivative and becomes the function itself. There is also a mention of the assumption that the three-force of the electric field is constant and a question about how it is defined.
Alan Ezra
HW Template missing as it was moved from another forum
Hi!

I am trying to find the time for an electron to accelerate in a uniform electric field from u1 to u2.

In the textbook, I found that time is found by integrating d(u/(1-u^2/c^2)^(1/2))=(qE/m_0)⋅dt
and they get u/(1-u^2/c^2)^(1/2) = qEt/m_0 by integrating from t=0 and u=0 to t=t and u=u
I don't quite get the left hand side of the equation, what is it integrating with respect to? what if the particle starts at t=0 and u=u1 and end at t=t1 and u=u2?

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
I've suggested that this is moved to the homework forum.

The assumption here is that the three-force of the electric field is constant. How is the three force defined?

I assume you are trying to calculate time, in terms of the coordinate time in the IRF in which the electron accelerates from ##u_1## to ##u_2##.

PeroK said:
I've suggested that this is moved to the homework forum.

The assumption here is that the three-force of the electric field is constant. How is the three force defined?

I assume you are trying to calculate time, in terms of the coordinate time in the IRF in which the electron accelerates from ##u_1## to ##u_2##.

Thank you for the reply! Yes I am trying to calculate how energy and velocity change wrt time. I am actually following the reasoning of a book, and I cannot quite understand how it gets from eq 2.26 to 2.27. Isn't u a function of time too? why after the integration the left hand side stays the same? Thank you a lot!
IMG_2692.JPG

Alan

Attachments

• IMG_2692.JPG
    IMG_2692.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 410
The left-hand side doesn't stay the same - it loses the time derivative. The integral of the derivative of a function is the function.

Likes Alan Ezra
PeroK said:
The left-hand side doesn't stay the same - it loses the time derivative. The integral of the derivative of a function is the function.

Thank you a lot. That makes sense.

Related to Accelerating an electron from speed u1 to u2

1. How is the acceleration of an electron measured?

The acceleration of an electron can be measured by calculating the change in its velocity over a specific period of time. This can be done using the equation a = (v2 - v1) / t, where a is the acceleration, v2 is the final velocity, v1 is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

2. What factors affect the acceleration of an electron?

The acceleration of an electron can be affected by several factors, including the strength of the electric field it is in, the mass of the electron, and any external forces acting on it. Additionally, the acceleration may also depend on the velocity and direction of the electron before and after the acceleration.

3. Can an electron be accelerated to the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, it is impossible to accelerate an electron to the speed of light. As the electron approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely and would require infinite energy to continue accelerating.

4. What is the difference between accelerating an electron in a vacuum and in a medium?

The main difference between accelerating an electron in a vacuum and in a medium is the presence of particles in the medium. In a vacuum, there are no particles to interact with the electron, so it can accelerate without any resistance. In a medium, the presence of particles can cause collisions and interactions, which may affect the acceleration of the electron.

5. How is acceleration of an electron used in practical applications?

The acceleration of electrons is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in particle accelerators, cathode ray tubes, and electronic devices. In particle accelerators, electrons are accelerated to high speeds to study subatomic particles. In cathode ray tubes, electrons are accelerated to produce images on screens. In electronics, electrons are accelerated in circuits to create electric currents and power devices.