Accounting for Pressure Drop in Propeller Calculations

In summary, the conversation discusses optimizing a system involving propellers and fans driving air through a packed bed for scrubbing, and the resulting pressure drop in the slipstream. The speaker has already set up a system to calculate for a single propeller but needs to account for the pressure drop. They mention using Bernouli's equation and considering the force and disc area to calculate the pressure drop. They also mention needing to double check their calculations.
KarenRei
I'm trying to optimize a system involving one or more propellers / fans driving air through a packed bed for scrubbing (compressed then expanded) and out the other side to achieve propulsive thrust. So there's going to be a pressure drop in the slipstream. I've already set up a system to do the calculations for a single propeller via blade element theory, to figure out how much shaft power equals how much flow rate at what speeds and so forth. However, it has no accounting for a pressure drop in the slipstream.

How does one work a pressure drop behind the propeller into prop calculations? I'm sure there's some set of formulae for accounting for such a situation.

Here's what I've been using so far for prop calculations: ewp.rpi.edu/hartford/~ernesto/F2012/EP/MaterialsforStudents/‌

If I plug in Bernouli's equation into the output (0.5 * rho * (Vinf^2 - Vslip)) I get a couple hundred Newtons pressure differential** But I need to reverse that, to work the pressure drop into calculating flow rates / speeds / etc. Hmm...

Ed: *** Seems unusually small. Multiplied by the disc area it comes out with far lower of a force than blade element theory calculates... Hmm... perhaps I just subtract from the force (pressure drop * disc area), since pressure is force over area? Surely that's right. Maybe I need to double check my Bernouli's formula...

Sorry, ended up sort of thinking out loud here. I'm pretty sure that's right, you can delete this.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
KarenRei said:
Sorry, ended up sort of thinking out loud here. I'm pretty sure that's right, you can delete this.
Problem solved.

1. What is a propeller with pressure drop?

A propeller with pressure drop refers to a type of propeller system used in aircrafts and watercrafts that experiences a decrease in air or water pressure as it moves through the surrounding medium. This decrease in pressure can result in a decrease in thrust and overall performance of the propeller.

2. How does pressure drop affect propeller performance?

Pressure drop can negatively impact propeller performance by reducing the amount of thrust generated by the propeller. This can result in decreased speed, maneuverability, and fuel efficiency of the aircraft or watercraft.

3. What causes pressure drop in a propeller?

Pressure drop in a propeller can be caused by a variety of factors, including the design and shape of the propeller, the speed and direction of the surrounding fluid or air, and the presence of obstacles or turbulence in the surrounding environment.

4. Can pressure drop be reduced in a propeller?

Yes, there are several ways to reduce pressure drop in a propeller. One method is to optimize the design and shape of the propeller to minimize drag and turbulence. Another approach is to use materials or coatings that can reduce friction and improve flow around the propeller.

5. How can propeller pressure drop be measured?

Propeller pressure drop can be measured using various instruments such as pressure sensors, flow meters, or strain gauges. These devices can be installed on the propeller or its surrounding components to measure changes in pressure and performance over time.