Actual displacement of a wave particle

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of various parameters related to a stretched string that is forced to vibrate. These parameters include the wave velocity, frequency of oscillation, wavelength, and displacement of the string at a specific distance and time. The solution is provided for the first three parameters, but further assistance is needed to find the displacement at a specific point.
Jon.G

Homework Statement

The end of a stretched string is forced to vibrate with a transverse displacement with A= 0.30 m and ω = 9.0 rad s-1. If the tension of the string is T = 4.0 N, and the mass per unit length is µ= 1.250 g m-1, calculate

(a) the wave velocity,

(b) the frequency of oscillation,

(c) the wavelength, and

(d) the displacement of the string at x = 2.0 m from the source at the time t = 100 ms after the oscillation commences.
Assume that the wave is traveling from left to right.

The attempt at a solution
a.) v=√(T/μ) giving me a wavespeed of 56.6 ms-1
b.)ω=2∏f giving me a frequency of 1.43 Hz
c.)v=fλ giving me a wavelength of 39.6 m
d.)This is where I'm stuck :( I would think of using the equation vertical displacement,
y=Asin(kx-ωt) except I don't know how to find k
Any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you put t=0, then you have y=Asin(kx)
... then when x=0, y=0 right?
... when x=λ, what is y equal to (hint: definition of wavelength)?
... therefore what is kλ equal to?

Related to Actual displacement of a wave particle

1. What is actual displacement of a wave particle?

Actual displacement of a wave particle refers to the distance the particle moves from its equilibrium or rest position as a result of a wave passing through it.

2. How is actual displacement different from amplitude?

Actual displacement is a physical measurement of the distance a particle moves, while amplitude refers to the maximum displacement of a particle from its rest position. Amplitude is typically used to describe the strength or intensity of a wave, while actual displacement is a specific measurement at a given point in time.

3. What factors affect the actual displacement of a wave particle?

The actual displacement of a wave particle can be affected by several factors, including the amplitude of the wave, the frequency of the wave, the medium through which the wave travels, and the properties of the particle itself.

4. How is actual displacement measured?

Actual displacement can be measured using various methods, depending on the type of wave and particle being studied. For example, the displacement of a water particle in an ocean wave can be measured using a ruler or other distance measuring tool, while the displacement of an electron in an electromagnetic wave can be measured using specialized equipment.

5. Why is actual displacement important in understanding wave behavior?

Actual displacement is important because it helps us understand how waves transfer energy through a medium. By studying the displacement of particles, we can also learn about the frequency, amplitude, and speed of a wave, as well as the properties of the medium it is traveling through.