An attempt frequency for a harmonic oscillator?

In summary: They don't.In summary, the "attempt frequency" for a harmonic oscillator with bound potential is the rate at which a bound particle attempts to escape the potential, usually measured in attempts per second. The "rate of movement" can refer to the velocity of the particle or the rate at which particles escape the potential well. The value of c signifies the classical limits for the particle's energy, and it is important to clarify the context in which these terms are being used in order to properly interpret and solve the problem.
Duave
An "attempt frequency" for a harmonic oscillator?

Homework Statement

What is the "attempt frequency" for a harmonic oscillator with bound potential as the particle goes from x = -c to x = +c? What is the rate of its movement from -c to +c?

Homework Equations

v =[itex]\frac{1}{2π}[/itex][itex]\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/itex]

ω=[itex]\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

1. x(t) = Acos(ωt)

2. [itex]\frac{d x(t)}{dt}[/itex] = -Aωsin(ωt)

3. v(t) = [itex]\frac{d x(t)}{dt}[/itex]

4. v(t) = -Aωsin(ωt)

5. -[itex]\frac{v(t)}{Asin(ωt)}[/itex] = ω

6. ω = -[itex]\frac{v(t)}{Asin(ωt)}[/itex]

4. Conclusion

Is the expression (equation) below the proper equation to use to determine the "attempt frequency" for a harmonic oscillator with bound potential as the particle makes its way between x = -c and x = +c?

ω = -[itex]\frac{v(t)}{Asin(ωt)}[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Define "attempt frequency"?
Define "rate of movement"?
State these definitions in words and compare with what you've done.

Likes 1 person
Thank you very much Simon.

The only problem is I've looked all around the universe and could barely even find a source that said even literally said "attempt frequency". I don't know what the definition is.

And, "rate of movement" to me is defined by some measurement over time, but, I still can't put 2 and 2 together, just because it's definition is so straight forward.

I wrote all the things in my question, because I needed someone to correct it for me. I'm have not found anything that could confirm its "correctness".

Thanks

If you don't know what those two terms mean, then you cannot do the problem.

Googling "attempt frequency" gets lots of examples of it's use.

Googling the "definition attempt frequency" suggests:
"attempt frequency" is the rate that a bound particle "attempts" to escape the potential.
http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/attempt+frequency
... so how many opportunities per second does the particle have to escape?

"rate of movement" could refer to dx/dt - the velocity ... but why not just say "velocity"?
It could also refer to the rate that particles escape the well.

Both of these are used quite a lot.

What does the value of c signify? Is it the classical limits for a particle with a particular energy or some arbitrary point inside those limits?

If this is part of coursework then you should have had these terms used as part of the course somewhere.
The context will help - like: is this part of the course on SHM in general or about nuclear physics or what?
Since you have not found any such reference - you should go ask the person who set the problem.

Likes 1 person
Simon,

-c and +c are the bounds. Okay look at this:

1. x(t) = Acos(ωt)

2. [itex]\frac{d x(t)}{dt}[/itex] = -Asin(ωt)

3. [itex]\frac{d x(t)}{dt}[/itex] = v(t)

4. [itex]\frac{d x(t)}{dt}[/itex] = velocity

5. v(t) = -Asin(ωt)

How does step five look? I even took the derivative of the position, which would be the velocity.

Thanks again

You have decided to interpret "rate of movement" to mean "velocity"?
Step 2 is incorrect. Hint: chain rule.

You could have checked this yourself by checking that the units on the RHS of equ5 match the units on the LHS.

1. What is an attempt frequency for a harmonic oscillator?

The attempt frequency for a harmonic oscillator refers to the frequency at which the system attempts to move or oscillate from its equilibrium position. It is a measure of how often the system experiences a force that causes it to deviate from its resting state.

2. How is attempt frequency calculated?

The attempt frequency for a harmonic oscillator can be calculated using the formula f = 1/2π√(k/m), where f is the attempt frequency, k is the spring constant of the oscillator, and m is the mass of the oscillator.

3. What factors affect the attempt frequency of a harmonic oscillator?

The attempt frequency of a harmonic oscillator is affected by the spring constant, mass of the oscillator, and any external forces acting on the system. Changes in these factors can alter the attempt frequency and the behavior of the oscillator.

4. Why is the attempt frequency important in the study of harmonic oscillators?

The attempt frequency is important because it helps to determine the behavior and characteristics of a harmonic oscillator. It can also be used to calculate other important parameters, such as the period and frequency of the oscillator.

5. How does the attempt frequency relate to the natural frequency of a harmonic oscillator?

The attempt frequency and natural frequency of a harmonic oscillator are closely related. The natural frequency is the frequency at which the system will oscillate without any external forces, while the attempt frequency takes into account any external forces acting on the system. In a perfectly harmonic system, the attempt frequency would be equal to the natural frequency.