Adding Nickel to Zinc Sulphate Solution

In summary: Yes, you can add a nickel sulfate to your recipe and expect a zinc-nickel deposit. And as always, proper disposal procedures are followed.
Physics_Kid
hi chemists,
my chemistry is a bit rusty.
i am doing some basic DIY zinc plating using a acid solution with some zinc sulfate in solution. basic recipe is like this:
net 2L
Epsom Salt 128 gram
Zinc Sulfate 43 gram <-- use the ~99% pure stuff
White Vinegar 85 ml
Sugar 27 gram
Tap Water 1915 ml

does adding some nickel sulfate to the solution allow a mix of nickel and zinc ions to be deposited onto cathode (part)?

this link (http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0104-66322011000300013) provides good explanation of how adding nickel sulfate to the solution increases deposit rate of zinc for any given amps (thus better efficiency), but does the nickel also get deposited with the zinc. for me, having some nickel with zinc being deposited may help in my DIY application.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Physics_Kid said:
hi chemists,
my chemistry is a bit rusty.
i am doing some basic DIY zinc plating using a acid solution with some zinc sulfate in solution. basic recipe is like this:
net 2L
Epsom Salt 128 gram
Zinc Sulfate 43 gram <-- use the ~99% pure stuff
White Vinegar 85 ml
Sugar 27 gram
Tap Water 1915 ml

does adding some nickel sulfate to the solution allow a mix of nickel and zinc ions to be deposited onto cathode (part)?

this link (http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0104-66322011000300013) provides good explanation of how adding nickel sulfate to the solution increases deposit rate of zinc for any given amps (thus better efficiency), but does the nickel also get deposited with the zinc. for me, having some nickel with zinc being deposited may help in my DIY application.
Be careful with Nickel which is carcinogenic and not down the drain!

tech99 said:
Be careful with Nickel which is carcinogenic and not down the drain!

but can i add a nickel sulfate to my recipe and expect a zinc-nickel deposit?
and as always, proper disposal procedures are followed.

1. How does adding nickel to zinc sulphate solution affect its properties?

When nickel is added to zinc sulphate solution, it forms an alloy called nickel-zinc, which has different properties than pure zinc. The addition of nickel can increase the strength, hardness, and corrosion resistance of the solution.

2. What is the purpose of adding nickel to zinc sulphate solution?

The addition of nickel to zinc sulphate solution is often done to improve the properties of the solution for specific applications. For example, nickel-zinc alloys are commonly used in batteries and as coatings for other metals.

3. Can any amount of nickel be added to zinc sulphate solution?

No, there is a limit to how much nickel can be added to zinc sulphate solution. This is because the two metals have different atomic sizes, and adding too much nickel can cause the solution to become unstable and form a separate layer.

4. How is nickel added to zinc sulphate solution?

Nickel can be added to zinc sulphate solution through a process called electroplating. This involves passing an electric current through the solution, causing the nickel to deposit onto a metal surface. It can also be added through a chemical reaction between the two metals.

5. What are the potential hazards of working with nickel and zinc sulphate solution?

Both nickel and zinc sulphate can be hazardous if not handled properly. Nickel can cause skin and respiratory irritation, and prolonged exposure may lead to lung and nasal cancer. Zinc sulphate can cause skin irritation and ingestion may lead to nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. It is important to follow proper safety precautions when working with these substances.