How to DIY a rechargeble Zinc-Nickel battery?

• Electrical
  • Thread starter whocouldshebe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery Diy
In summary, using a food-grade Sodium Phosphate solution as the electrolyte in a voltaic pile made from zinc pennies and nickel coins can create a rechargable battery with an output of 1.2V. This method may require more maintenance and may cause buildup or corrosion, but it is a more environmentally friendly option than using traditional chemicals like vinegar and table salt. Other chemicals may not be necessary for a simple experiment and proper research on the concentration and ratios of the solution is recommended.
whocouldshebe
I was looking at the simple example of making a voltaic pile using pennies, nickles, and salt soaked paper towels to light up a small LED lamp, but I hate the idea of immediately oxidizing all the metals just get a 1.2 volts for a only a couple hours so I've been researching ways to make it rechargable. (aside from taking it apart, cleaning the metal off, adding more salt soaked paper, and putting it together again)

It appears that newer pennies use a lot of zinc (to save money because it is cheaper than copper). I always saw the 6 cent battery as a copper-nickel voltaic chemical reaction with salt water, but I see the composition of the metals will now more closely resemble that of the AA NiZn rechargeable battery cells I use here at home, resulting in an even better conductivity of 1.6v, with very fast charging.

Clearly Nickel and Zinc are used to create the battery, but what electrolyte would be best to avoid and or replace the corrosive non-renewable properties of vinegar and/or table salt? My research suggests to use Phosphate as the electrolyte. Can I just use food grade Sodium Phosphate soaked piece of cloth or paper towel (or phoshate fertilizer) between the Zinc Penny and the Nickel to create a rechargable voltaic pile between the 2 metals? (I have a few small solar panels to recharge it.)

Or do I have to use a delicate mix of Deionized Water, Potassium Hydroxide (KOH/Lye), Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH), Lithium Hydroxide (LiOH), Potassium Fluoride (KF), Zinc Oxide (ZnO), Sodium Phosphate (Na3PO4 12H2O), Indium Sulfate In2(SO4) to get any results?

I realize this special mix is to avoid as much oxidation as possible, while also increasing the level activity, but to keep this learning expierment simple, can I just replace the table salt with Sodium Phoshate and still get some volts and the ability to recharge? (I plan on using a pile of about 100 pennies and 100 nickels probably 20 pairs in a series in 5 parallel groups hopefully this will at least create a 1.2v 500ma battery I can recharge.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you can use sodium phosphate instead of table salt to make a rechargable voltaic pile. Sodium phosphate is an electrolyte that can be used to create a chemical reaction between the zinc penny and the nickel to create a battery with an output of 1.2V. However, this method may require more maintenance than using a traditional AA NiZn rechargeable battery cell, as the electrolyte may need to be replaced more often. Additionally, the phosphate may react with the metals in the coins to create a buildup of sludge or corrosion that needs to be cleaned off periodically in order to keep the battery functioning properly.

As an internet forum user, I would suggest using a food-grade Sodium Phosphate solution as the electrolyte in your voltaic pile. This will not only avoid the corrosive properties of vinegar and table salt, but it will also make your battery more environmentally friendly. Additionally, using a mix of different chemicals, such as Potassium Hydroxide and Lithium Hydroxide, may not be necessary for a simple experiment like this. Just make sure to do some research on the proper ratios and concentrations of the Sodium Phosphate solution to get the desired results. Good luck with your experiment!

1. How does a Zinc-Nickel battery work?

A Zinc-Nickel battery works by converting chemical energy into electrical energy through a redox reaction between zinc and nickel ions. The zinc acts as the anode, releasing electrons, while the nickel acts as the cathode, absorbing the electrons.

2. What materials are needed to DIY a rechargeable Zinc-Nickel battery?

The materials needed include zinc and nickel electrodes, a container for the battery, an electrolyte solution (such as potassium hydroxide), a separator (porous material to keep the electrodes separate), and a charger.

3. How do you assemble a Zinc-Nickel battery?

To assemble a Zinc-Nickel battery, first place the separator between the zinc and nickel electrodes in the container. Then, pour the electrolyte solution over the electrodes, making sure they are fully covered. Connect the electrodes to a charger, and allow the battery to charge for several hours.

4. How can I ensure the safety of DIY Zinc-Nickel batteries?

To ensure the safety of DIY Zinc-Nickel batteries, it is important to handle all materials and chemicals with caution. Wear protective gloves and eyewear, and make sure to properly dispose of any waste materials. It is also important to carefully follow instructions and properly seal the battery to prevent leakage.

5. What are the advantages of using a Zinc-Nickel battery?

Zinc-Nickel batteries have several advantages, including high energy density, low self-discharge rate, and long service life. They are also more environmentally friendly than other types of batteries, as they use non-toxic materials. Additionally, Zinc-Nickel batteries can operate in a wide range of temperatures and have a high charging efficiency.