Adequate proof? Spivak's Calculus ; Dense sets

In summary: Alright, so to correct it I should just explicitly state that f is continuous at α?You could write: Suppose ##f## is continuous at ##\alpha## and ##f(\alpha)< 0##. Then blahdy blah blah...which is a contradiction to ##A## being dense. Therefore ##f(x)## is identically zero. But instead of assuming ##f(\alpha) < 0## I would start with ##f(\alpha) \ne 0## and use absolute value signs in your argument so you don't have to do two cases.That does seem simpler. Thanks for clearing it up.
Derek Hart

Homework Statement

Let A be a dense set**. Prove that if f is continuous and f(x) = 0 for all x in A, then f(x) = 0 for all x.

**A dense set is defined, in the book, as a set which contains a point in every open interval, such as the set of all irrational or all rational numbers.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I looked in the answer book, and spivak's proof is much different than mine. I want to know whether mine is adequate.
I began by considering a point (α, f(α)) such that f(α)<0. I then stated that there would have to be some σ so that f(x)<0 for all x such that α-σ < x <α+σ. This, however, contradicts the initial statement that A is a dense set (since f<0 for all x in (α-σ, α+σ)).
I had an almost identical argument for f>0, which i wish not to type. So does this prove that f(x)=0 for all x?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Derek Hart said:

Homework Statement

Let A be a dense set**. Prove that if f is continuous and f(x) = 0 for all x in A, then f(x) = 0 for all x.

**A dense set is defined, in the book, as a set which contains a point in every open interval, such as the set of all irrational or all rational numbers.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I looked in the answer book, and spivak's proof is much different than mine. I want to know whether mine is adequate.
I began by considering a point (α, f(α)) such that f(α)<0. I then stated that there would have to be some σ so that f(x)<0 for all x such that α-σ < x <α+σ. This, however, contradicts the initial statement that A is a dense set (since f<0 for all x in (α-σ, α+σ)).
I had an almost identical argument for f>0, which i wish not to type. So does this prove that f(x)=0 for all x?

You didn't state it carefully, but what you are showing is that if f is continuous at ##\alpha## and ##f(\alpha) < 0## then you get a contradiction to A being dense. That is an indirect argument which is a reasonable way to prove it.

Likes Derek Hart
LCKurtz said:
You didn't state it carefully, but what you are showing is that if f is continuous at ##\alpha## and ##f(\alpha) < 0## then you get a contradiction to A being dense. That is an indirect argument which is a reasonable way to prove it.
Alright, so to correct it I should just explicitly state that f is continuous at α?

You could write: Suppose ##f## is continuous at ##\alpha## and ##f(\alpha)< 0##. Then blahdy blah blah...which is a contradiction to ##A## being dense. Therefore ##f(x)## is identically zero. But instead of assuming ##f(\alpha) < 0## I would start with ##f(\alpha) \ne 0## and use absolute value signs in your argument so you don't have to do two cases.

Likes Derek Hart
That does seem simpler. Thanks

1. What is Spivak's Calculus?

Spivak's Calculus is a rigorous and comprehensive textbook on introductory calculus, written by mathematician Michael Spivak. It is widely used in undergraduate mathematics courses and is known for its clear and concise explanations.

2. What is "Adequate proof" in Spivak's Calculus?

"Adequate proof" refers to the level of rigor required in mathematical proofs in Spivak's Calculus. It emphasizes the importance of logical reasoning and precise language in conveying mathematical ideas.

3. What are dense sets in Spivak's Calculus?

In Spivak's Calculus, a dense set is a set of numbers that is "closely packed" in a certain interval. This means that every point in the interval can be approximated by elements in the set. For example, the rational numbers are dense in the interval [0,1].

4. How are "Adequate proof" and dense sets related in Spivak's Calculus?

In Spivak's Calculus, "Adequate proof" is important in establishing the properties of dense sets and other mathematical concepts. A rigorous proof is necessary to show that a set is dense in an interval and to understand its behavior.

5. What makes Spivak's Calculus different from other calculus textbooks?

Spivak's Calculus is known for its emphasis on rigorous and logical reasoning, rather than just presenting formulas and techniques. It also covers a wide range of topics in depth, making it a popular choice for advanced calculus courses.