Dissolving iron in HCl, unknown product

In summary, the individual attempted to synthesize iron (iii) chloride by leaving a strip of iron in concentrated HCl under a fume hood. However, instead of a liquid, a light greenish solid substance accumulated at the bottom of the beaker. The individual filtered this substance and is now trying to determine its exact composition through titration. It is suspected that the substance may be ferrous chloride due to an excess of HCl and a Flinn Scientific iron strip being used. The purity of the iron strip is uncertain.
mishima
My class needed some iron (iii) chloride to determine the purity of some aspirin they synthesized, so I thought I might try making some. I left a strip of iron in concentrated HCl for a few nights under the fume hood. I was expecting a liquid with iron (ii) chloride to result, which would then gradually turn into iron (iii) chloride with time.

What I got was a light greenish snow-like solid substance accumulating in the bottom of the beaker (regrettably did not get any pictures). I filtered this off, but now I am wondering exactly what it was. Nothing went into the beaker but the 9 g Fe strip and about 100 ml of 12 M HCl.

The solution I ended up with performs like iron (iii) chloride, it will turn salicylic acid a purplish color. It is a very dark brown liquid that leaves yellowish trails on the sides of its container. I'm going to do a titration to get its exact concentration.

I should've had a bunch of excess HCl since Fe was limiting the reaction. Could I have saturated the solution with iron (ii) chloride?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
According to wiki solubility at room temp. is around 70g/100 mL, and you are below 20g/100 mL. Then, you have a huge excess of Cl-, so I wouldn't rule the precipitation out.

How pure was the iron?

It was a Flinn Scientific iron strip, which I believe are intended (or sold as) electrodes. I cut it up using snips. The package had been opened before, and some other pieces were showing very slight spots of rust. The one I cherry picked did not, though I did not look using magnification.

Additionally, this billowing solid was noticeable long before the strip had completely dissolved.

I will double check the packaging tomorrow morning, but I can't recall any quantitative indication of purity.

Sounds like you got ferrous chloride (tetrahydrate) at the bottom.

It is likely that the unknown product you obtained after dissolving iron in HCl is a mixture of iron (ii) chloride and iron (iii) chloride. The greenish snow-like solid is most likely iron (ii) chloride, while the dark brown liquid is a mixture of both iron (ii) and iron (iii) chloride. The yellowish trails on the sides of the container could be due to the presence of iron (iii) chloride, which has a yellow color.

It is possible that the excess HCl in the solution could have saturated the solution with iron (ii) chloride, resulting in the formation of both iron (ii) and iron (iii) chloride. This is supported by the fact that the solution performs like iron (iii) chloride and can turn salicylic acid a purplish color.

To determine the exact composition and concentration of the solution, a titration can be performed. This will help identify the amount of iron (ii) and iron (iii) chloride present in the solution.

In the future, it may be helpful to use a known amount of iron and a standardized concentration of HCl to ensure a more controlled and accurate reaction. Additionally, conducting the experiment in a controlled environment, such as a fume hood, can also help prevent any unwanted reactions or impurities.

1. How do you dissolve iron in HCl?

Iron can be dissolved in HCl by adding small pieces of iron to a beaker with a concentrated solution of HCl. The reaction will produce hydrogen gas and an iron chloride solution.

2. What is the purpose of dissolving iron in HCl?

The purpose of dissolving iron in HCl is to create an iron chloride solution, which can be used in various industrial processes such as etching, metal surface treatment, and water treatment.

3. What is the unknown product formed when iron is dissolved in HCl?

The unknown product formed when iron is dissolved in HCl is iron chloride (FeCl2 or FeCl3), depending on the concentration of the HCl solution and the amount of iron used.

4. What safety precautions should be taken when dissolving iron in HCl?

When dissolving iron in HCl, it is important to wear protective equipment such as gloves, goggles, and a lab coat. HCl is a corrosive acid that can cause burns, so it should be handled with care. The reaction may also produce hydrogen gas, which is flammable, so the experiment should be conducted in a well-ventilated area.

5. Can other metals be dissolved in HCl to create similar products?

Yes, other metals such as zinc, magnesium, and aluminum can also be dissolved in HCl to create metal chloride solutions. The specific product formed will depend on the metal used and the concentration of the HCl solution.