Advice on doing the Egg Drop challenge with High Schoolers

In summary, there is no consensus on the best way to do the egg drop challenge. Some people think using parachutes is the best way to go, while others think using materials from home is the best way to do it.
nate99
Hello

I'm relatively new to teaching physics and was wondering if you anyone had advices as to the parameters to put on this challenge.

How high should I drop their containers from? 2nd or 3rd story?

When I was in school, I think we could only use glue and toothpicks, but I don't remember if there was like a weight limit on it.

I was thinking popsicle sticks could also be good.

I would love any advice from people who have successfully done this challenge before. Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
There's https://www.physicsforums.com/search/1871649/?q=egg&o=relevancefor a search for the word egg. Perhaps there's something useful amongst all that ?

Really? I must not be using this right. I searched Egg in the titles of threads on this forum and got nothing. Care to weigh in?

https://www.physicsforums.com/search/1871649/?q=egg&o=relevance
was the link in my reply.

Thanks, I had a look at the past conversations about it. I guess what I was looking for was advice with some thoughts about what worked well and what didn't. Most of the conversations are from students about how best to make a container.

But I guess in looking at the replies, it seems there is no consensus BEST way to do the project. I know that I don't want to use parachutes, and I would really like to limit the materials used. There was a conversation that seemed like there were really unique materials allowed, but it seems like that didn't go anywhere.

If there any teachers around that have run these challenges before, please chime in and talk about what worked. Thanks

nate99 said:
T<snip>it seems there is no consensus BEST way to do the project. <snip>

Isn't this the entire point of the project? Like, the whole idea of problem-based learning?

In my opinion I would say yes in regards to creating a solution for the central problem/task. But I would say not necessarily as far as the parameters that you put on it. Project-based and Problem-based units can still have limitations as far as what you can do, similar to how real world tasks are limited by money or weight or whatever other practical limitations may exist. I was hoping to hear some experiences (positive and negative) so I can find the sweet spot between "it's practically impossible" and "it's far too easy."

For example, if it is less than a two story drop and students can use tissues to pad the inside and use parachutes and any other materials from home, I just don't really see a high level of design challenge. It's more of a challenge in what materials you choose.

I guess I was thinking that there would be a "go to" set of rules for this challenge, and within those rules, the students would draw upon content, creativity, and the design process to succeed. But I've seen in these conversations as little as 3 meters height all the way to 25 meters.

Related to Advice on doing the Egg Drop challenge with High Schoolers

1. How can I make the egg drop challenge more engaging for high school students?

One way is to incorporate elements of competition by giving out prizes for the team with the most successful design or the longest surviving egg. You can also add a theme or storyline to the challenge to make it more interesting.

2. What materials should I provide for the egg drop challenge?

To ensure fairness, it's best to provide the same materials for each team. Common materials used in the egg drop challenge include straws, popsicle sticks, rubber bands, and tape. You can also encourage students to bring in their own materials to add variety.

3. How can I ensure safety during the egg drop challenge?

Make sure to establish clear safety rules and guidelines before the challenge begins. This can include wearing protective gear, setting boundaries for where the eggs can be dropped, and having adult supervision at all times.

4. What is the purpose of the egg drop challenge?

The main purpose of the egg drop challenge is to encourage critical thinking, problem-solving, and teamwork skills in students. It also allows them to apply scientific concepts such as gravity, force, and motion in a fun and hands-on way.

5. What are some tips for designing a successful egg drop contraption?

Some tips include creating a cushioning system for the egg using materials like cotton balls or bubble wrap, keeping the design lightweight, and testing the contraption multiple times before the final drop. It's also important to think creatively and outside the box when designing the contraption.