How do I keep a non-aerodynamic object from flipping? (egg drop contest)

In summary, the conversation is about an egg drop challenge where the participant is not allowed to use a parachute. The person is trying to figure out how to prevent the egg from flipping and breaking with limited materials. Suggestions are given to connect two bowls together or to concentrate the mass on one side. Scientific explanations about force and acceleration are also mentioned, along with the idea of adding tail fins to the plastic bag to slow down the egg's descent.
Parker Hame
Mod note: Moved from Science and Math Textbooks section, so is missing the homework template
I am doing an egg drop challange and we aren’t allowed to have a parachute. I asked and I put my egg in a cup hot glued to the inside of an upside down styrofoam bowl. How do I keep it from flipping? We have limited materials because he gives them to us. I have popsicle sticks, a plastic bag, hot glue, and paper. At least those are the things that could be useful. Only 20 sticks though. Please answer quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you post a picture of the set up? Why don't you just connect two bowls together with the egg in the middle, so even if it flips, it doesn't matter?

NFuller said:
Can you post a picture of the set up? Why don't you just connect two bowls together with the egg in the middle, so even if it flips, it doesn't matter?
We only have one bowl, it’s a good idea though, and we have a system there to keep the egg from breaking there that’s too big for another bowl

Parker Hame said:
I am doing an egg drop challange and we aren’t allowed to have a parachute. I asked and I put my egg in a cup hot glued to the inside of an upside down styrofoam bowl. How do I keep it from flipping? We have limited materials because he gives them to us. I have popsicle sticks, a plastic bag, hot glue, and paper. At least those are the things that could be useful. Only 20 sticks though. Please answer quickly.
Also there’s things like toothpicks rubber bands cotton balls and straws

Or if you want, look at it scientifically.

It takes X force to break the egg.

Force = mass * acceleration.

So the faster your egg decelerates, the more force will be applied. One way to protect the egg is to make it decelerate slower.

ex. concrete is hard, foam is soft. the egg slows down faster when it hits concrete than when it hits foam.

the lighter your system is, the lower the force on the system is when it hits the ground,

Add tail fins?

CWatters said:
Add tail fins?

+1

and put them on the plastic bag which you then inflate with the egg suspended inside .

1. What is the most important factor in preventing a non-aerodynamic object from flipping during an egg drop contest?

The most important factor in preventing a non-aerodynamic object from flipping during an egg drop contest is stability. A stable object is less likely to flip or rotate during its descent.

2. How can I increase the stability of my non-aerodynamic object for an egg drop contest?

There are several ways to increase the stability of a non-aerodynamic object for an egg drop contest. One method is to add weight to the bottom of the object, as this will lower its center of gravity. Another option is to add fins or stabilizers to the sides of the object to help it maintain a straight descent.

3. Is there a specific shape that is best for a non-aerodynamic object in an egg drop contest?

While there is no one "perfect" shape for a non-aerodynamic object in an egg drop contest, there are some shapes that tend to be more stable than others. Spherical or cylindrical shapes, for example, are less likely to flip or rotate during a fall compared to flat or irregular shapes.

4. How important is the material of the non-aerodynamic object in preventing it from flipping during an egg drop contest?

The material of the non-aerodynamic object can play a significant role in its stability during an egg drop contest. Objects made of lighter materials, such as Styrofoam or plastic, may be more prone to flipping compared to objects made of heavier materials, like wood or metal.

5. Can I use any type of padding or protection for my non-aerodynamic object in an egg drop contest?

Yes, using padding or protection can help prevent a non-aerodynamic object from flipping during an egg drop contest. Materials such as bubble wrap, foam, or cotton can absorb impact and cushion the object's fall, reducing the likelihood of it flipping or breaking upon impact.