Advice on Future-Technology Engineering

In summary, a student is exploring different fields of engineering and is interested in designing and creating gadgets that have never been made before.
jajazz
Hi, I am currently an undergrad student exploring different fields of engineering. I find that there are so many fields to choose from, it is as much astonishing as it is bewildering. What I would like to do is work on building the technologies of the future. Specifically, I am interested in designing and creating gadgets that have never been made before. Such as, a gadget that would enable a human being to have an exoskeleton of protection or a gadget enabling a human being to fly. I understand these types of creations may not become a thing reality for a long time, but I long to be on the leading edge of their upbringing. If someone could please advise me on the best types of engineering to study to prepare for entry into this line of work, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,
Ja

Physics news on Phys.org
Well most "gadgets" are produced by teams of engineers from different disciplines within the field. So rather than focus on the end product, perhaps spend some time thinking about the types of problems you like to work on, and the kinds of skills that you want to foster in yourself.

Likes boneh3ad and russ_watters
Choppy said:
Well most "gadgets" are produced by teams of engineers from different disciplines within the field. So rather than focus on the end product, perhaps spend some time thinking about the types of problems you like to work on, and the kinds of skills that you want to foster in yourself.

Thank you for the response, I will keep that in mind.

jajazz said:
If someone could please advise me on the best types of engineering to study to prepare for entry into this line of work, I would greatly appreciate it.
Sounds like a combination of ME and EE, for the most part. What kinds of projects have you built so far? By mid-undergrad, I'd built a 2-D laser scanner (for laser light shows driven by music), a small laboratory power supply, a digital clock with a nice case, and a couple other little odds and ends. Building projects is fun, and helps you learn to ask the right questions in your studies, IMO.
jajazz said:
a gadget that would enable a human being to have an exoskeleton
https://amp.businessinsider.com/images/53adc28069bedd561d4f8cb9-750-563.jpg

53adc28069bedd561d4f8cb9-750-563.jpg

jajazz said:
a gadget enabling a human being to fly.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe....jpg/300px-Daedalus_Project's_Light_Eagle.jpg

300px-Daedalus_Project%27s_Light_Eagle.jpg

:smile:

Attachments

• 53adc28069bedd561d4f8cb9-750-563.jpg
    53adc28069bedd561d4f8cb9-750-563.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 362
  • 300px-Daedalus_Project%27s_Light_Eagle.jpg
    300px-Daedalus_Project%27s_Light_Eagle.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 351

What is future-technology engineering?

Future-technology engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on developing and creating new technologies that have the potential to significantly impact our society and daily lives in the future. It involves exploring and utilizing cutting-edge advancements in fields such as artificial intelligence, robotics, biotechnology, and more.

What skills are needed to become a future-technology engineer?

To become a future-technology engineer, one needs a strong foundation in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) subjects. Other important skills include critical thinking, problem-solving, creativity, and adaptability. Additionally, strong communication and teamwork skills are essential for working in a multidisciplinary field.

What are some examples of future-technology engineering projects?

Some examples of future-technology engineering projects include developing self-driving cars, creating advanced prosthetics using biotechnology, designing and building sustainable energy sources, and creating virtual and augmented reality experiences. These are just a few examples of the vast range of possibilities in this field.

How can future-technology engineering benefit society?

Future-technology engineering has the potential to bring about significant advancements and improvements in various aspects of society. It can lead to more efficient and sustainable methods of transportation and energy production, advancements in healthcare and medicine, and improved communication and connectivity. It also has the potential to create new job opportunities and boost economic growth.

What are the ethical considerations in future-technology engineering?

As with any field of science and technology, there are ethical considerations that need to be taken into account in future-technology engineering. This includes ensuring the safety and well-being of individuals and society, addressing potential biases and discrimination in technology, and considering the impact on the environment. It is crucial for future-technology engineers to prioritize ethical considerations in their work to ensure responsible and beneficial advancements.