Advice on light-duty heat tolerant adhesive

• Chemical/Paint
  • Thread starter Grinkle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary, a person is looking for a heat-resistant glue to use with velcro tape for attaching lightweight items to cabinet surfaces in their RV. They want something that is removable with effort and does not damage the surface. They have tried using double stick tape, but it was too strong and caused damage when removed. They are considering using epoxy, but are concerned about it being permanent. They are asking for recommendations and have also considered searching for "heat resistant velcro" online.
Grinkle
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Looking for an adhesive to use in an auto interior
I don't like to put holes in the cabinet surfaces in my RV. To attach things to the surface of a cabinet I recently used velcro tape,one side on the cabinet surface, the other side on the lightweight thing I want to attach. I like being able to remove the attached thing and replace it as convenient, hence the velcro tape approach.

The adhesive that comes with the velcro tape is not always robust vs heat / humidity, and it can peel away from the surface it is stuck to. Does anyone have recommendations on a heat-resistant glue I can try using on the backside of the velcro tape for heat-tolerant fixation? I'd like to use something that is ultimately removable with sufficient effort on my part to clean it off, so I am trying to stay away from permanent epoxy unless I can't find any alternative.

If I epoxy velcro tape to a cabinet surface, it won't ever really come off that surface, I don't think, but there may not be any good alternative if I don't want it peeling when the inside of my RV becomes an autoclave.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried to google for "heat resistant velcro"?

• Informative
Likes Baluncore and Grinkle
And there you have it. Thanks, not too hard after all.

Likes russ_watters
I tried the double stick tape they use for carpets in my RV. It's too strong! When I pulled it off, it peeled away the fake wood veneer on the cabinets. You could use it to permanently stick Velcro to the wall, but for permanent mounts you might as well drill holes.

Likes Grinkle

1. What is light-duty heat tolerant adhesive?

Light-duty heat tolerant adhesive is a type of adhesive that is specifically designed to withstand high temperatures without losing its bonding properties. It is commonly used in applications where there is exposure to heat, such as in automotive, aerospace, and electronic industries.

2. How does light-duty heat tolerant adhesive differ from regular adhesive?

The main difference between light-duty heat tolerant adhesive and regular adhesive is its ability to withstand high temperatures. Regular adhesive may lose its bonding properties or even melt when exposed to heat, while light-duty heat tolerant adhesive maintains its strength and integrity.

3. What are the benefits of using light-duty heat tolerant adhesive?

Using light-duty heat tolerant adhesive offers several benefits, including increased durability and strength in high-temperature environments, improved resistance to chemicals and solvents, and enhanced bonding to various substrates. It also reduces the risk of product failure due to heat exposure.

4. What factors should be considered when choosing a light-duty heat tolerant adhesive?

When choosing a light-duty heat tolerant adhesive, it is essential to consider factors such as the maximum temperature it can withstand, the type of substrate it will be bonding to, and the specific application requirements. It is also crucial to ensure that the adhesive is compatible with the materials it will be in contact with.

5. Can light-duty heat tolerant adhesive be used for all types of materials?

No, light-duty heat tolerant adhesive may not be suitable for all types of materials. It is essential to check the compatibility of the adhesive with the specific materials it will be bonding to. Some adhesives may work better with certain materials than others, so it is crucial to choose the right adhesive for the job.