Aerogels - Supercritical Extractions?

• Thread starter alex caps
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about creating aerogel without the use of a pressure chamber. The individual is seeking help on extracting the liquid from alcogel and the website provided offers information on the subject. They also suggest moving the question to an engineering forum and question if anyone has ideas on alternative methods for manufacturing aerogels.
alex caps
I am trying to creat some aerogel. I can make the Alcogel but I do not have a pressure chamber and cannot extract the liquid from it. This site gives some information on the subject if you are interested:
http://eande.lbl.gov/ECS/aerogels/saprep.htm

Basically I just need help on extracting the liquid without using a pressure chamber. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hello, this question fits better to engineering section, I think. Ask the moderator to move this thread to the proper location.

Gotta call it a perfectly reasonable question about chemistry --- whether anyone's going to contribute to developing processes for manufacture of aerogels that don't involve SCF methods (potential worth would be in millions) on a public domain forum is another question.

does anyone have an idea?

1. What are aerogels and how are they produced?

Aerogels are a type of material that is created through a process called supercritical extraction. This involves using a supercritical fluid, such as carbon dioxide, to remove the liquid component of a gel and replace it with gas. The resulting material is highly porous and low density, making it extremely lightweight.

2. What are the properties of aerogels?

Aerogels have unique properties that make them useful for a variety of applications. They are highly insulating, with low thermal conductivity and high surface area. They are also strong and flexible, making them suitable for use in structural materials. Additionally, aerogels are highly absorbent and can be used for environmental remediation purposes.

3. What are some common uses for aerogels?

Aerogels have a wide range of applications in different industries. They are commonly used in insulation for buildings and pipelines due to their high insulating properties. They are also used in aerospace and automotive industries for lightweight structural components. In addition, aerogels are used in electronics, medical devices, and environmental remediation.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using aerogels?

One potential drawback of aerogels is their fragility. They can be easily crushed or damaged if not handled carefully. They are also expensive to produce, which limits their widespread use. Additionally, the supercritical extraction process used to produce aerogels can be complex and requires specialized equipment.

5. How are aerogels being further developed and improved?

Scientists are constantly working to improve the properties and production methods of aerogels. Some current research focuses on creating aerogels with higher strength and durability, as well as finding more cost-effective and sustainable methods of production. There is also ongoing research into new applications for aerogels, such as in energy storage and filtration systems.