Aerospace Engineering degree with Solid State Physics

In summary, while it is possible to jump straight into a Masters Degree in Physics by taking the GRE and not completing all of the required and elective undergraduate courses, it is not recommended and may require additional coursework.
astronomophosis
Hi, I was just wondering if it is possible to jump straight into a Masters Degree in Physics by taking the GRE and not completing all of the required and elective undergraduate courses. I am currently a sophomore in college and am majoring in Aerospace Engineering. A field of Aerospace Engineering I'm looking to go into is propulsion and more specifically plasma, ion, and hall-effect propulsion. I'm thinking that a degree in Solid State Physics would be beneficially to have along with an AE degree especially for this type of field. Right now I'm currently about to complete my minor in physics which requires a year in advanced mechanics and a year in classical electrodynamics and I've already fufilled my math minor with classes such as Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra and Partial Differential Equations. I plan on taking the courses which aren't highly as stressed in Aerospace Engineering; i.e-Modern Physics, Quantum Mechanics, and Solid State Physics. I would need 4 more required courses (Laboratory Electronics, Thermodynamics, Computational/Programming Physics, 2nd Semester General Chemistry) and 2 more elective courses (one for Physics lab and the other being Optics) which would take another year at the least (a lot of the upper division ungergrad physics are offered occasionally so it might take even 2-3 years to finish). It seems that the classes I would need remaining for a physics degree highly overlap in content with the classes I have and will take in engineering. Laboratory Electronics in Physics appears very similar to what I'm taking for Engineering Circuit Analysis. Physics Thermodynamics is very similar to Engineering Thermodynamics except Physics thermo seems to emphasize more microscopic topics while Engineering thermo does more macroscopic though I'm required to take a full year of thermo classes in engineering (Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer). For Comp/Programming Physics I've already taken a C++ course in the Engineering department that appears to be similar as well and materials science engineering looks to be a continuation of concepts learned in first semester general chemistry. I'm pretty disciplined and willing to read up on the material on my own for the GRE and with the classes I've taken and will take find that it is within reach. With all that said, is it possible for me to get accepted into a masters program for physics without completing all the required and elective courses for a BS and by scoring well on the Physics GRE Subject Test?

Physics news on Phys.org
The short answer is that it is possible to get accepted into a Masters program in Physics without completing all the required and elective courses for a BS. However, it is not recommended and you may find that it is difficult to be successful in a Master's program without having a strong foundation in undergraduate physics. Your best bet is to talk to the admissions advisors at the universities you are interested in to determine if they will accept your application with the courses you have completed. Additionally, it is important to note that you may need to take additional courses, such as mathematics and laboratory courses, in order to qualify for admission to a graduate program in Physics.

I would advise caution in attempting to jump straight into a Masters Degree in Physics without completing all of the required and elective undergraduate courses. While your background in Aerospace Engineering and your minor in physics may provide a strong foundation, it is important to have a well-rounded understanding of the subject matter before pursuing a graduate degree.

In particular, the courses you mention as being required for a physics degree, such as Modern Physics, Quantum Mechanics, and Solid State Physics, are fundamental topics in the field and are necessary for a thorough understanding of physics. It is also important to have a strong background in laboratory skills and experimental techniques, which may not be covered in your engineering courses.

Furthermore, the GRE Subject Test in Physics is a challenging exam that covers a wide range of topics in physics. While self-study may be helpful, it is unlikely to fully prepare you for the test without completing the necessary coursework.

I would recommend discussing your plans with your academic advisor and seeking advice from professors in both the physics and engineering departments. They may be able to provide guidance on how to best prepare for a graduate program in physics and whether it would be beneficial to complete all of the required coursework for a BS in physics before pursuing a Masters degree. It may also be worth considering a dual degree program, where you can earn both a BS in Aerospace Engineering and a Masters in Physics.

In conclusion, while your background in Aerospace Engineering and your interest in propulsion and plasma physics may make you a strong candidate for a Masters degree in physics, it is important to have a well-rounded understanding of the subject before pursuing graduate studies. I would recommend discussing your plans with academic advisors and professors to determine the best path forward for your specific goals and interests.

Related to Aerospace Engineering degree with Solid State Physics

1. What is an Aerospace Engineering degree with Solid State Physics?

An Aerospace Engineering degree with Solid State Physics is a specialized program that combines the principles of aerospace engineering and solid state physics. It focuses on the design, development, and testing of aircraft, spacecraft, and other aerospace systems, as well as the study of the behavior and properties of solid materials.

2. What are the career opportunities for graduates with this degree?

Graduates with an Aerospace Engineering degree with Solid State Physics have a wide range of career opportunities in the aerospace industry. They can work as aerospace engineers, research scientists, materials engineers, and many other roles in the fields of aircraft and spacecraft design, manufacturing, and development.

3. What skills and knowledge will I gain from this degree?

Students in this degree program will gain a strong foundation in both aerospace engineering and solid state physics, as well as skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, and technical analysis. They will also develop knowledge in areas such as aerodynamics, materials science, and spacecraft propulsion.

4. Is this degree program suitable for someone with no prior experience in aerospace or physics?

While having a background in aerospace or physics can be helpful, it is not a requirement for this degree program. Many students enter this program with a strong interest in these fields and are able to develop the necessary skills and knowledge through coursework and hands-on experiences.

5. Are there any specific prerequisites for this degree program?

Specific prerequisites may vary depending on the university or college offering the program. However, most programs will require students to have a strong background in math, physics, and chemistry. Some may also require coursework in computer science or engineering principles.