Aerospace engineering non-conventional applications

In summary: Sure, go ahead. I've been working as an aerospace engineer for about 5 years now. I specialize in design and simulation of aircraft systems. I have worked on a wide range of projects from design and development of aircraft engines to design and development of aircraft controls and avionics. I have also worked on projects that have nothing to do with aircrafts, such as a wind turbine project.Overall, I really enjoy the design process and the opportunity to solve complex problems. I would definitely do it again.
rfranceschetti
Hello guys,

I'd like to know what non-conventional areas (i.e., not related to the airspace, aircrafts, satellites, etc) an aerospace engineer could work in. I've read somewhere that some aerospace engineers work with high-performance cars aerodynamics. Do you guys know something similar?

Thanks.

P.S.: I wasn't sure if I should post this in the General Engineering section or in the MechE section. I chose the former since AerospaceE doesn't comprehend only mechanical aspects.

Physics news on Phys.org
Aerospace engineers learn a lot of the same (in fact, nearly all of the same) concepts as mechanical engineers, so it's likely that most fields containing mechanical engineers will have at least some aerospace engineers working in the same field. Car aerodynamics and wind turbine aerodynamics would be two big areas where you will find a lot of aerospace engineers. I know quite a few that went to work for oil companies as well. Any field that would require control systems is a popular one, such as robotics.

Aerospace engineers also learn a lot of avionics. Do you think these professionals have sufficient knowledge to work with embedded systems in equipments other than aircrafts?

Thanks for your reply!

Thanks, nice to hear. But practically speaking, they do indeed get hired to do this kind of work? Or it's an exception? Because I have the feeling that the industry would prefere to hire electrical engineers to do the electronics, and MechE to do the mechanical part.

It really depends on what sort of experience each person has. If your background is a BS in the subject, then it will likely be harder to jump across "engineering lines" because your set of experiences is going to be more general to your undergraduate degree. Once you start getting to the graduate level, your experience is going to be more specific to certain types of controls or fluids or materials or whatever else, and then you will be more competitive for jobs that are looking for people to come apply those sets of skills, regardless of the final product being designed.

Also, the automotive industry, for example, hires a lot of aerospace engineers with just a BS. The air flow over a car, for example, is so similar to that of a plane that the training in a typical aerospace program is very relevant. In other words, my above paragraph is not a universal rule, just a rough (over)generalization.

I understand. I read in other posts that you're an aerospace engineer yourself. Could you please tell me a bit of your experience in the industry, the projects you've worked with, in what did you specialize, etc, if that's not too much work? Would you do it again?

1. What is aerospace engineering non-conventional applications?

Aerospace engineering non-conventional applications refer to the use of aerospace engineering principles and technologies in non-traditional or unconventional fields, such as medical devices, renewable energy systems, and transportation.

2. How is aerospace engineering utilized in medical devices?

Aerospace engineering is utilized in medical devices through the development of lightweight and durable materials, precision manufacturing techniques, and advanced sensors and imaging technologies. These advancements allow for the creation of more efficient and effective medical devices, such as prosthetics and surgical tools.

3. What are some examples of aerospace engineering non-conventional applications in renewable energy systems?

Examples of aerospace engineering non-conventional applications in renewable energy systems include the use of aerodynamics and lightweight materials in wind turbines, the development of high-efficiency solar panels using space technology, and the use of fuel cell technology in aircraft and spacecraft for clean energy production.

4. How does aerospace engineering play a role in transportation outside of the aerospace industry?

Aerospace engineering plays a role in transportation outside of the aerospace industry through the development of advanced propulsion systems, lightweight materials, and aerodynamic designs. These advancements have been applied to land-based vehicles, such as cars and trains, to improve fuel efficiency and reduce carbon emissions.

5. What are the potential benefits of using aerospace engineering in non-conventional applications?

The potential benefits of using aerospace engineering in non-conventional applications include increased efficiency and performance, improved safety and reliability, and reduced environmental impact. Additionally, the cross-pollination of ideas and technologies between different industries can lead to innovative solutions and advancements in science and technology as a whole.