Aerospace Engineering PhD to Astrophysics Postdoc

In summary, the person is from the UK and is currently completing a PhD in aerospace engineering with a focus on civil aircraft and engine design. They have become interested in MagnetoHydroDynamics (MHD) and its relationship to plasma, electromagnetic fields and fluid dynamics. They are now considering a postdoc in astrophysics, but are unsure if they would need to first complete a PhD in astrophysics or if there are other routes to a postdoc position. They have posted their question in the Academic Guidance subforum for help.
MagnetoBLI
Hi, I'm from the UK and I'm in my final year of an aerospace engineering PhD which focuses on civil aircraft and engine design. For some time I have felt that engineering is too restrictive in terms of the science available to use; due to it's applied nature and safety restrictions within the aviation industry. I have recently been investigating MagnetoHydroDynamics (MHD) which has helped broaden my understanding of plasma, electromagnetic fields and fluid dynamics. From here my thirst for scientific understanding has dominated my interest in application/design.

My questions are: Would it be possible to be accepted onto a Postdoc in astrophysics, given my indirect PhD subject? Otherwise would I need to apply for a PhD in astrophysics first? Or would there be some other method of arriving at an astrophysics Postdoc i.e. low paid postdoc position?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You may want to post in the Academic Guidance subforum if you don't get any help here.

Ye thanks I've done that.

What is the difference between an Aerospace Engineering PhD and an Astrophysics Postdoc?

An Aerospace Engineering PhD is a specialized degree focused on the design, development, and operation of aircraft and spacecraft. An Astrophysics Postdoc, on the other hand, is a research position that involves studying the physical and chemical properties of celestial objects and phenomena in the universe.

Can someone with an Aerospace Engineering PhD pursue a career in Astrophysics?

Yes, it is possible for someone with an Aerospace Engineering PhD to transition into a career in Astrophysics. However, they may need to acquire additional knowledge and skills in the field of Astrophysics through coursework or hands-on research experience.

What are the job prospects for someone with an Aerospace Engineering PhD and an Astrophysics Postdoc?

The job prospects for someone with an Aerospace Engineering PhD and an Astrophysics Postdoc are generally good. They may be able to find employment in research institutions, government agencies, or private companies working on space-related projects.

What are the potential research areas for someone with an Aerospace Engineering PhD and an Astrophysics Postdoc?

Some potential research areas for someone with an Aerospace Engineering PhD and an Astrophysics Postdoc could include spacecraft design and development, space propulsion systems, astrodynamics, and planetary science.

What skills are necessary for success in both Aerospace Engineering and Astrophysics?

Both Aerospace Engineering and Astrophysics require a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. In addition, excellent problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work well in a team are important for success in both fields.