Should I do a double degree in Aerospace engineering and Astrophysics?

In summary, the speaker has applied to study the Bachelor of Science Advanced–Research(Honours) course at Monash University with a major in Astrophysics. However, they are now uncertain about their choice due to limited job opportunities in the field. They are considering a double degree in science and engineering, which would take 5 years, and are wondering if it would allow them to pursue either path for postgraduate studies. The speaker also mentions the high cost of university education in Australia and advises the listener to consider this before making a decision. Finally, they mention that while physics degrees tend to pay off, many physicists end up leaving the field for better job prospects.
Mun99
Hi, I've applied to study the Bachelor of Science Advanced–Research(Honours) course at Monash University and I intended on majoring in Astrophysics, but after doing some research I'm feeling really uneasy about it since it doesn't seem like there are a lot of jobs available for people doing Physics degrees, even if they progress to a PhD. Astrophysics really interests me, but I'd rather not spend years studying it only to end up in a job that has nothing to do with it because there aren't sufficient research jobs. Since the university offers double degrees in science and engineering would that be a better choice (note: the double degree take 5 years)? Also would it allow me to choose either path (engineering or astrophysics) for postgrad studies?

Physics news on Phys.org
University education is quite expensive in Australia, right? You should probably figure out if that's an issue for you or not, before you decide on your work load.
Physics degrees do tend to pay off, though, and it isn't really important what you specialized in. You probably get a good grasp on math, programming and scientific analysis. But yes, many physicists ultimately leave science for better job prospects elsewhere. Though afaik the same is true for Aerospace engineering because they just have so many students. Literally everyone is doing that. ;)

Likes Mun99

What does a double degree in Aerospace engineering and Astrophysics entail?

A double degree in Aerospace engineering and Astrophysics combines the study of the design and development of aircraft and spacecraft with the study of the physical properties and behavior of celestial objects. This program typically includes courses in aerodynamics, thermodynamics, astrophysics, and cosmology.

What career opportunities are available with a double degree in Aerospace engineering and Astrophysics?

Graduates with a double degree in Aerospace engineering and Astrophysics can pursue careers in the aerospace industry, working on the design, development, and testing of aircraft and spacecraft. They can also work in research and development for space agencies, or in academia as professors or researchers.

Is a double degree in Aerospace engineering and Astrophysics a good choice for someone interested in both fields?

Yes, a double degree in Aerospace engineering and Astrophysics is a great choice for someone interested in both fields. This program allows students to gain a deep understanding of both disciplines and how they intersect, providing a strong foundation for a career in the aerospace industry or in research.

What are the challenges of completing a double degree in Aerospace engineering and Astrophysics?

The main challenge of completing a double degree in Aerospace engineering and Astrophysics is the rigorous coursework and workload. The program requires a strong background in mathematics, physics, and engineering, and students must be prepared to dedicate a significant amount of time and effort to their studies.

What skills and knowledge will I gain from a double degree in Aerospace engineering and Astrophysics?

Students who complete a double degree in Aerospace engineering and Astrophysics will gain a strong understanding of the fundamental principles and theories in both fields. They will also develop practical skills in designing, analyzing, and testing aerospace systems and in conducting research in astrophysics and cosmology. Additionally, students will develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and teamwork skills, which are highly valued in the aerospace industry and in research settings.